Duquette on Hunter Harvey - "Looks like he's having TJ" (Surgery Scheduled)

McLovin

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting listen, thanks for posting. Some notes

Duquette said pitching market is thinnest he's seen.

Olney asked about 1st place/28th starters ERA/30th starters IP trifecta, and Duq went right to Schoop/Machado and Brach/Britton.

Teammates thought Schoop's eye improved late last year, and it's carried through.

Olney noted Orioles have 4 of top 9 least fastballs seen - Duq says that's fine as long as we don't face offspeed pitchers.

So the Orioles take away the pitch that hurts the arm, the arm gets hurt anyway, and the terrible organizational policy to try to rehab (what I'm going to assume for the purposes of this rant was a completely or at least mostly torn) ligament for a year only to miss an extra year once we find out that the guy needs surgery to repair the aforementioned (completely or partially torn) ligament.

We need to get rid of the guys that don't let you throw the cutter. Or at least get all of the pitchers alone in a room with Zach Britton, where he can explain that you can continue to throw the cutter as long as you call it a sinker instead.

Thanks for this. Not unexpected from what I've been hearing. Tough luck. Hopefully, he'll bounce back. Just sad for him due to the interruption of his career. O's sure could have used him had he stayed healthy all along. Not to be. So he'll miss all of next year, I'm guessing. But maybe not an O's rotation possibility till 2019?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So the Orioles take away the pitch that hurts the arm, the arm gets hurt anyway, and the terrible organizational policy to try to rehab (what I'm going to assume for the purposes of this rant was a completely or at least mostly torn) ligament for a year only to miss an extra year once we find out that the guy needs surgery to repair the aforementioned (completely or partially torn) ligament.

We need to get rid of the guys that don't let you throw the cutter. Or at least get all of the pitchers alone in a room with Zach Britton, where he can explain that you can continue to throw the cutter as long as you call it a sinker instead.

That's a fun narrative, but I don't think Hunter has every thrown a cutter.

Also, Zach's pitch is most certainly not a cutter.

And the fact that the O's main issue with the pitch is not that it hurts your arm (not that I agree with their policy on the cutter).

And the fact that it's not the O's policy to try to rehab, they were acting on the recommendation of the man who knows more about this stuff than anyone.

Other than that, though...

Cutter isn't even close to a sinker.

I agree we need to unleash the cutters though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've read that he uses a cutter grip to achieve it.

So there would be one point of similarity.

I guess. It also uses a round ball, so there is that too.

It's more about the spin and wrist motion. Cutters move left and right. Sinkers move down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay, so this was a joke... but for a group of guys with little to no sense of humor, I should have known better.

Of course this wasn't the HH's path, but it's not a bad ad lib for this organization over the last few years.

And clearly, the Britton bit was purely a joke.

:wedge:

Archived