Crush has been really struggling at the plate the last month -- time for a few days off?

FanSince88

Every other year he falls apart. Mentally weak.

This is a terrible post with no facts to back up the accusation. So what, the every other year he's somehow not mentally weak?

It's funny, I said several weeks ago that Davis is horrible and that the contract we gave him will haunt us for years to come. I got in return that he's just in a slump. This aint no slump, he is horrible. He hits meaningless homeruns. Pay attention.

Meaningless homeruns? Please tell us which ones are meaningful and which ones aren't. Technically Manny hit two meaningless homeruns the other day in Chicago, were you whining then?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also thought this was one of the worst contract decisions the Orioles have ever made. I won't go so far as to say Davis is horrible, though. He's pretty good in the field. He's a good clubhouse guy. The problem is, he's a one trick pony at bat. Home runs and mostly strikeouts. And extended slumps. Sure he's been walking a lot recently but we didn't pay him for walks. Once we signed Trumbo in the off season, and Davis balked at the big contract, Angelos should have spent the money on two quality starters and let Davis walk.

Through 7/2 (79 games) Davis was .355/.521/.876 on pace for 44 hrs, 115 rbis kind of what you would expect. Since 7/2 (29 games) Davis is batting .125 with 2 homers and 5 rbis, .260/.192/.452. How can you keep batting this guy fourth? Buck might be using the "due theory" but you could at least move him down until he shows some improvement. He is not the only reason we are struggling at the plate but he is the biggest reason. Trumbo has cooled off but he is on fire compared to Davis. I thought the homer on Sunday might get Davis headed in the right direction but......

The problem with Davis is he has a flawed swing. The timing needed to hit a baseball with his long uppercut swing makes a tough task of hitting a baseball, that much more difficult. Then you add that when things aren't going well he seems to lose confidence which likely prolongs these slumps. They need to fix the swing or as he ages these issues will likely just worsen as he ages. The thing we don't know is would he be willing and able to overhaul his swing.

I have no doubt Davis is working hard trying to get out of this slump. I also have no doubt that he is terrible right now and hurting this team. Considering the Orioles outbid themselves for his services and for some reason decided to give him 7-years despite the fact he has been very streaky over his career including these long slumps, and you have to wonder if Davis will end up the Orioles version of Ryan Howard.

Among his many other maladies right now, it seems to me that Davis has had a rash of getting called out on strikes recently. For the year, he has 153 strikeouts -- 100 swinging, 53 looking. By comparison, Davis struck out looking 56 times all of last year. In fact, he has never struck out looking more than 56 times in a season. He might do it 75-80 times this year at the rate it's going.

He just doesn't seem to have any feel for the strike zone right now -- swinging at a lot of breaking pitches below the zone, then freezing on fastballs on the outside corner.

We've seen him break out of slumps and go on hellacious tears many times. I hope he's got that in him this year.

I have no doubt Davis is working hard trying to get out of this slump. I also have no doubt that he is terrible right now and hurting this team. Considering the Orioles outbid themselves for his services and for some reason decided to give him 7-years despite the fact he has been very streaky over his career including these long slumps, and you have to wonder if Davis will end up the Orioles version of Ryan Howard.

How do extremely high strike out power hitters with low batting averages usually do when they get into their 30's?

Through 7/2 (79 games) Davis was .355/.521/.876 on pace for 44 hrs, 115 rbis kind of what you would expect. Since 7/2 (29 games) Davis is batting .125 with 2 homers and 5 rbis, .260/.192/.452. How can you keep batting this guy fourth? Buck might be using the "due theory" but you could at least move him down until he shows some improvement. He is not the only reason we are struggling at the plate but he is the biggest reason. Trumbo has cooled off but he is on fire compared to Davis. I thought the homer on Sunday might get Davis headed in the right direction but......

When Davis comes up I expect him to strike out.

Might be easier to do if Pearce wasn't hurt.

This is the big thing. The lack of confidence in the bench right now. Pearce can't play the field. Reimold has been cold too. Joseph is hitting like a NL pitcher. Flaherty isn't coming in for Hardy, Schoop or Machado. Where to turn to?

We can't deal with P.Alvarez's defense at this point. Heck can't even call up Mancini for the same reason. Guys are just going to have to do the Aaron Rodgers and R-E-L-A-X.

Archived