Papelbon released should we be interested

atomic

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. I hate Papelbon. If we're going after washed up RP, I'd rather have Joe Nathan. Atleast he's likeable

Interview him too. See where he's at mentally. I'm not saying sign either one. I'm simply saying kick the tires. With O'Day out, explore all options.

Well, you've never managed. I've managed for twenty years. Just won my 4th championship in the last 5 years. Sometimes guys like Papelbon see the end of their career in the rearview and decide it's better to be a piece of a world championship then go out getting cut. That's why I say interview him. See where he's at mentally. The caveat, of course, is that the Nats have to pay him. I admit to not knowing the rules on that. Anyway, he's done. His pride is hurt, he's angry at the world. Can you get a great few months out of a guy like that? Yes, you certainly can. But, he's gotta agree to be a low leverage guy who with success can climb into the setup role. If he wants it, I think he can do it.

You have never managed pro baseball. it's different. I still disagree with you.

I was going to add a photoshop job of Papelbon choking Manny but then I realized I suck at Photoshop. Anyway I was serious. He has been effective the rest of his career. Everyone can have an off year in an environment where you aren't wanted. I haven't seen him pitch so I don't know how he is doing.

You have never managed pro baseball. it's different. I still disagree with you.

LOL, I'm not claiming to be Buck. If I was as good as Buck, I'd live in a bigger house:) Anyway, I do know about managing very good athletes. I know about egos. I know how to insert stud players who may not be the guy you want to drink with, into a team without hurting it. Basically, I know how to maintain moral of a team while making adjustments. Papelbon has been one of the best closers in the game for a long time. I see this as an opportunity to give him one more chance to shine. I see it as a chance for him to go out the right way. I'm not even saying sign him, I'm saying talk to him. If he's on board with what I'm talking about, he can help us.

I am saying no. His stats aren't there, doesn't seem to be a good teammate, might want to be the closer, and most importantly, doesn't seem to me like a Buck guy

Hands down, the understatement of the season.

Signing Papelbon might be the one thing that could ever stop me from being an Orioles fan.

Well, you've never managed. I've managed for twenty years. Just won my 4th championship in the last 5 years. Sometimes guys like Papelbon see the end of their career in the rearview and decide it's better to be a piece of a world championship then go out getting cut. That's why I say interview him. See where he's at mentally. The caveat, of course, is that the Nats have to pay him. I admit to not knowing the rules on that. Anyway, he's done. His pride is hurt, he's angry at the world. Can you get a great few months out of a guy like that? Yes, you certainly can. But, he's gotta agree to be a low leverage guy who with success can climb into the setup role. If he wants it, I think he can do it.

You think he would have a better shot at a championship with the O's than the Nats?

Leaving the personality stuff out of it for a minute, I think it's possible that with a change of scenery Papelbon could help us down the stretch in O'Day's absence. He had a 2.56 ERA as late as July 23, then hit a rough patch where he allowed 7 runs in two outings, and allowed runs in 2 out of his next 3 outings after that. But it's certainly possible he could turn it back around in the final stretch of the season.

Of course, you can't simply set his personality aside. He's a horse's ass who none of us want to root for. Buck and Dan would need to think long and hard about whether he could accept a set up role and curtail his jerkiness for two months.

Archived