Why I Find It Painful to Watch the O's Lately

brianod

Over the last twenty games, the Orioles have been shut out 139 out of 180 innings.

By contrast, the lowest scoring team in the majors, the Atlanta Braves have been shut out in 126 out of 180 innings. Add to that, they play in the national league with no dh in a park that doesn't promote scoring like OPCY.

Our offensive innings often last about 5 minutes and when you watch our games, it seems line 2/3s of it is with the other team up, where nothing good can happen. Not fun.

This has been an extremely frustrating stretch and I tried to put some statistics behind why I'm finding it hard to watch. Anyway, I'm hoping things turn around but not expecting it to.

If I was GM I would look at the totality of the season, see how many innings where we didn't score and try to sign some players that can help us eke out a run or two when we aren't hitting homeruns.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me it's all about the approach.

Our approach has been awful to non existent. Nothing but flails and hacks all throughout the lineup.

No one shortening their swing, no one taking what is given, everyone going for the downs on every swing.

The only guy with a sound approach at the plate is Kim.

I think our lack of adjustments has been staggering. Plus Alvarez needs to play, he's been hitting a little too but the NL parks and lefties we've been facing have neutralized him.

I have no idea what our hitting coach is getting paid for. It's HR's or nothing, it's painful to watch far more often than it isn't right now.

For me it's all about the approach.

Our approach has been awful to non existent. Nothing but flails and hacks all throughout the lineup.

No one shortening their swing, no one taking what is given, everyone going for the downs on every swing.

The only guy with a sound approach at the plate is Kim.

I think our lack of adjustments has been staggering. Plus Alvarez needs to play, he's been hitting a little too but the NL parks and lefties we've been facing have neutralized him.

I have no idea what our hitting coach is getting paid for. It's HR's or nothing, it's painful to watch far more often than it isn't right now.

Atlanta has scored 424 runs to our 552, our offensive ineptness lately is staggering. Earl played for the 3 run homer but you don't get many 3 run homers with nobody on base.

O's need to copy teams like the Red Sox, that work the pitcher and try to make solid contact. Red Sox can grind away and often knock out the starting pitcher early. Kim seems to be the only player that can do this, and isn't trying to hit a 700 foot home run everytime.

Manny seems to have this ability too, but being on this team seems to influence him to chase pitches out of the strike zone.

They need to start drafting players who have a disciplined approach and stress this at all levels of the minor league system.

O's need to copy teams like the Red Sox, that work the pitcher and try to make solid contact. Red Sox can grind away and often knock out the starting pitcher early. Kim seems to be the only player that can do this, and isn't trying to hit a 700 foot home run eveytime.

Manny seems to have this ability too, but being on this team seems to influence him to chase pitches out of the strike zone.

They need to start drafting players who have a disciplined approach and stress this at all levels of the minor league system.

I said this last week and got ridiculed. This board doesn't like to face reality

These last two games have been the low point in the season for me and here's why...We're at home where we're supposed to play good baseball but we get beat by one guy in the first game and then beaten soundly in the second. To top it off, it sounds like we're playing in Fenway with all the sox fans there. It's just really disappointing, it felt like the pre 2012 seasons again these past two nights.

And to top it off we're in 3rd place now with two red hot teams in front of us while we continue to sink to the depths of the AL EAST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O's need to copy teams like the Red Sox, that work the pitcher and try to make solid contact. Red Sox can grind away and often knock out the starting pitcher early. Kim seems to be the only player that can do this, and isn't trying to hit a 700 foot home run everytime.

The young Red Sox players have Pedroia and Ortiz to look up to as hitters while the Orioles have Adam Jones and Chris Davis. Enough said.

Over the last twenty games, the Orioles have been shut out 139 out of 180 innings.

By contrast, the lowest scoring team in the majors, the Atlanta Braves have been shut out in 126 out of 180 innings. Add to that, they play in the national league with no dh in a park that doesn't promote scoring like OPCY.

Our offensive innings often last about 5 minutes and when you watch our games, it seems line 2/3s of it is with the other team up, where nothing good can happen. Not fun.

This has been an extremely frustrating stretch and I tried to put some statistics behind why I'm finding it hard to watch. Anyway, I'm hoping things turn around but not expecting it to.

If I was GM I would look at the totality of the season, see how many innings where we didn't score and try to sign some players that can help us eke out a run or two when we aren't hitting homeruns.

I posted this exact sentiment as a possible contributor in one of the low attendance threads

I think the team is extremely boring to watch

All runs score on a smattering of HR's

with the high SO rate the O's put less balls in play than probably any team in baseball

No speed, no steal, no triples

and then you add in a pitching staff with a high walk rate

and many games are snoozers win or lose

At least at home and I can DVR the games and fast forward to the few interesting moments

Need a big influx of speed/defense in the OF. Nobody in the O's OF has above average speed, and that's

not how to build a team, especially coupled with a SS/2B pair that are probably the majors slowest

You can talk about how we are a homerun team but the bottom line is the offense should't be this bad and they've been atrocious in the 2nd half. Pretty amazing were still close to 1st place. Of course that will slip away fast if they don't shape up. Now 4 games against Houston. Better bring a better approach or else we'll be looking up at the 2nd wild card. It'd be a shame for such a fun season to end that way. Don't let it happen O's.

The young Red Sox players have Pedroia and Ortiz to look up to as hitters while the Orioles have Adam Jones and Chris Davis. Enough said.

Davis will at least take a walk, even with as bad a year he is having Davis is still third on the team in OBP. I'm convinced if Schoop came up with the Red Sox, he would not hack at everything and be an all star player. Schoop is good, I think he could be better.

People aren't going to want to hear that, but that is a good point. Young player come up to Jones asking, what's the best way to get out of a slump? Jones' advice, "just swing your way out of it."

These last two games have been the low point in the season for me and here's why...We're at home where we're supposed to play good baseball but we get beat by one guy in the first game and then beaten soundly in the second. To top it off, it sounds like we're playing in Fenway with all the sox fans there. It's just really disappointing, it felt like the pre 2012 seasons again these past two nights.

And to top it off we're in 3rd place now with two red hot teams in front of us while we continue to sink to the depths of the AL EAST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too, it seems like we are going back to the dark ages, with Redsox fans (who are the worst gloaters in all of baseball) celebrating easy wins. We are still in it though and I'm hopeful it will turn around.

That's a nice thought, but it ain't going to happen. From what I can tell, plate discipline is like a good singing voice - a God-given thing. Even a poor singer can improve. But you're not going to turn Tiny Tim into Pavarotti. I could be wrong. There are some true baseball guys on this board who might be able to clarify or correct me here.

Archived