How many wins will it take to make atleast the wild card game.

bpilktree

And the schedule: 7 games with the Twins, 2 with the White Sox and 3 with the Braves. We really need to win our series with them in Detroit this weekend.

Schedule is going to be the biggest factor. DET and KC are poised to go on runs with their schedules. Sadly I think the AL Central is going to steal a WC spot. We need to get in front of BOS or TOR to be sure a playoff spot. Honestly I could see Det finishing with a better record than the division winner in the AL East.

We need to really take these two from TB. Every game is bigger than the last Buck shouldn't let any games get away from us with the expanded rosters.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Schedule is going to be the biggest factor. DET and KC are poised to go on runs with their schedules. Sadly I think the AL Central is going to steal a WC spot. We need to get in front of BOS or TOR to be sure a playoff spot. Honestly I could see Det finishing with a better record than the division winner in the AL East.

We need to really take these two from TB. Every game is bigger than the last Buck shouldn't let any games get away from us with the expanded rosters.

i am not sure. Rays might call it in. Dbacks have not been good all year. We shall see.

Schedule is going to be the biggest factor. DET and KC are poised to go on runs with their schedules.

I hadn't even noticed how easy KC's schedule is until reading your post. They only have 9 games left against teams with a winning record, and three of those come against Cleveland on the final weekend when the Indians will probably be resting their regulars to get set for the playoffs.

No doubt about it, the Orioles are going to have to earn their way into the playoffs. They aren't going to get there by default.

Todays Rays matchup clearly favors Tampa. Odorizzi is excellent and Gallardo has been pretty awful lately.Id love to somehow steal this game.

O's have fared pretty well against Odorizzi over the years. I wouldn't say Gallardo has bee too bad lately, though he had one absolute bomb against the Yankees. His 6 August starts:

6 IP 2 R

6 IP 1 R

5 IP 3 R

7 IP 4 R (3 ER)

1.1 IP 8 R (7 ER)

6 IP 3 R

Maybe the best way to get a wild card then is to finish ahead of Boston.

I increasingly think this will be what we have to do. Not sure we can do so, but we're going to have the chance - seven games remaining with the BoSox, including four at home. More than any other opponent.

If we can just get Mookie Betts out...

I increasingly think this will be what we have to do. Not sure we can do so, but we're going to have the chance - seven games remaining with the BoSox, including four at home. More than any other opponent.

If we can just get Mookie Betts out...

Or maybe just pitch around Betts?

Now:

BOS 12-13 (.480)

BAL 13-12 (.520)

DET 13-12 (.520)

HOU 15-10 (.600)

NYY 17-9 (.654)

KCR 17-8 (.680)

SEA 18-7 (.720)

Detroit has made a big move since the OP, and I now think it's likely to take more than 88 wins to get the 2nd wild card.

With so many teams close together, it was always likely that at least one would get hot. I'm sticking with 91 to make the playoffs and 93 to at least get a tie for the division.

With so many head-to-heads between the AL East teams, it's less likely that all three will make the postseason. It's possible, but less likely.

I made a thread about this a week ago and went with 89 for the second wild card, 90 for the first, and 92 for the division.

I'm sticking with that. 14-11 could do it for the last 25, but that may need to include taking 2 out of 3 from Detroit. Chances are, we will be playing meaningful games the last weekend of the season in NY.

• 2 weeks later...

If we go 8-8 the Tigers and Mariners need to go 10-6 to tie. NYY 11-5, Houston 12-4. KC is done, of course I thought Seattle was also.

9-7 and I think we are close to a lock. Seattle is read hot but they would have to go 18-6 to finish with 88 wins. Hope Cleveland helps us this weekend.

89 should do it, maybe 88.

I made a thread about this a week ago and went with 89 for the second wild card, 90 for the first, and 92 for the division.

I'm sticking with that. 14-11 could do it for the last 25, but that may need to include taking 2 out of 3 from Detroit. Chances are, we will be playing meaningful games the last weekend of the season in NY.

Hopefully we will consider the 3 with the Diamondbacks as just as meaningful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think if the Os can go 10-6 from here on out, they'll be in. I think 90 wins should get at least one wild card spot. We have 10 straight homes games directly in front of us. I'd like to see us win 7 of those, thereby allowing for a split on the road of the final six games... If we play .500 over these next 10 games, we're doomed, based on our already thin road record...

Archived