Consecutive shutouts, Labor Day weekend, A seemingly impossible situation--1974 has come again.

Filmstudy

On August 28th 1974, the Orioles trailed the Red Sox by 8 games and were 63-65.

That team roared down the stretch 28-6 to win the AL East.

Labor Day weekend was the turning point (actually the Thursday before Labor Day) when they started a 10 game winning streak highlighted by 5 consecutive shutouts and an AL record 54 consecutive scoreless innings.

On Labor day, they had 1-0 shutouts in both ends of a DH vs. the hated division leaders to cut their lead to 3 games (picked up 5 games in the standings in 4 days).

Many of you know the backstory because Palmer often refers to it, but here's the game-by-game detail of that, most-amazing of Weaver-led stretch drives:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1974-schedule-scores.shtml

Let's hope we see history repeat itself again. After the Yankee game today, we embark on what could end up being the make-or-break road trip of the season. 3 each at Tampa, Detroit, and Boston. Gotta find a way to win 5 games out there at least. Hopefully we take 6 and win each series.

Many of you know the backstory because Palmer often refers to it, but here's the game-by-game detail of that, most-amazing of Weaver-led stretch drives:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1974-schedule-scores.shtml

Great work as always, Film. I was but 8 years old, so I don't remember this particular pennant drive, but those were the Orioles of my youth: Always starting slow, but then making a furious charge in the end. Whether they were successful (1974) or not (1982), it always made for thrilling Septembers.

And then Edward Bennett Williams got cancer, he had Roland Hemond embark on a "win now" campaign, the farm system was pawned off and that was that.

Hopefully, this year's team will make a similar charge as Weaver's teams did year-in and year-out.

Archived