vs. RAYS, 9/15

Sessh

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This game is just unbelievable. Every freaking thing that can go wrong!

We've done it to ourselves for most part. We've gotten several brakes, the Rays defense for the most part hasn't been great and they've made some errors. Are hitters just failed to take advantage of it. Blame should be on us and our poor situational hitting as well of course Gallardo who is absolute trash and doesn't belong on a pitching mound.

I heard that quarter tale when he was on the junior varsity. I have no idea which neighborhood kid told me that, but the anticipation for him coming to the varsity was intense. When they won the NCAA Tournament in '74, we went to see the team when they returned and it was my first taste of pandemonium. I had to crawl under a guy's leg to look between two bars of a balcony overhang to even get a glimpse.

I did get to see his last home game at Reynolds Coliseum. His final home basket with the Wolfpack was disallowed as it was a dunk and he was called for a technical (those being the days when the dunk was not allowed - hard to fathom now).

o

Yeah, freshman were not allowed to play varsity in those days.

That's why guys like Pete Maravich, Lew Alcindor, and Bill Walton only had 3-year college careers.

The amazing thing about Maravich was that he scored more points ....... not average points per game, but literal points ........ in 87 games WITH NO SHOT CLOCK, and WITH NO 3-POINT FIELD GOAL than any other player has ever scored before or since, including players that had 4-year varsity careers, and played anywhere in between 110 and 145 games.

3,667 points in 87 games, with no shot clock, and with no 3-point field goals. ....... and he played in the Southeastern Conference.

Freeman Williams is the next highest, with 3,249 points. But he did that in 106 games (4 years on the varsity,) playing for Portland State in the Big Sky Conference.

Pretty sure it was with the entry of Alcindor at UCLA. Not sure when it was brought back, early 80s? Trying to remember to Jordan's years at UNC. Probably by then, early 80s.

And I meant to add in reply to OFFNY that from the 50s to the 70s (the Everett Case and Norm Sloan eras), NC State was UNC's main rival. Duke emerged in the late Bill Foster years with Gene Banks, Giminksi and Spanarkel, but the intense rivalry was Pack vs. Heels. Coach K really was the one that brought Duke all the way back from their early 60s glory.

Yeah. It was called the Alcindor rule. It was after his first season they banned it in 67. Came back in 76.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred Manfra on Manny's fly ball: "Look out Orioles bullpen!" Pumped up for a second... until the ball is caught. Love you Fred, but talk about false hopes...

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

Can't blame him too much in this case. That looked great off the bat.

Archived