Last Series with Boston

Bahama O's Fan

I think the Yankees pretty much killed our chances for a division title by losing all four games to the Red Sox. At least the Yankees are pretty much out of the playoff picture now.

I disagree, if the O's take 3 out of 4 they're still in it. That would put us only 1 game back of them. Anything less and our chances are shot.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree' date=' if the O's take 3 out of 4 they're still in it. That would put us only 1 game back of them. Anything less and our chances are shot.[/quote']

Exactly, I see this as a must win series to stay in the running for the division. If we lose this series, its over. Split, and its almost over.

Exactly, I see this as a must win series to stay in the running for the division. If we lose this series, its over. Split, and its almost over.

I hope the Rays play the Sox tough. Hopefully, the Orioles have knocked the Jays out of the wild card conversation by the time they get to the Sox.

how-i-met-your-mother-challenge-accepted.jpg

The Orioles will probably have to go 10-3 (or better) the rest of the way including winning at least 3/4 against the Red Sox. The odds are stacked against that when you consider the Orioles haven't had a 10-3 stretch since June and that was against a significantly easier schedule (Tampa Bay, San Diego, Toronto at home instead of road).

How come when I pull for the Yankees (like last night) they stink?

Well the Yankees have the same colors of skunks. If your pulling them their smell of stink is going to be closer to you.... god why can't I stop with these spontaneous musings, this one wasn't that funny.....spend a little more time and I could of found a way to make it funny.... stop O's84... :)

The Orioles will probably have to go 10-3 (or better) the rest of the way including winning at least 3/4 against the Red Sox. The odds are stacked against that when you consider the Orioles haven't had a 10-3 stretch since June and that was against a significantly easier schedule (Tampa Bay, San Diego, Toronto at home instead of road).

10-3 means that you don?t see the Red Sox doing worse than 7-6. I know they have been winning a lot over the past six weeks or so but a .570 team playing .400-ish baseball over 13 games is far from impossible, especially when factoring in that 10 of those 13 games are against teams over .500 and the other three are against the Rays (who are far from pushovers).

If the O?s finish 9-4 with three of those wins coming against Boston, I like our chances of at least forcing a play-in game. In that scenario, NYY/Tampa/Toronto would have to muster four victories against Boston which is very doable. We are talking about one series win and no sweeps, that?s it. I?d even take my chances with 8-5 assuming three of the wins are against Boston. That means two series wins and one series loss for Boston?s final three opponents. That is well within reason.

I do agree that 7-6 finish or worse for the Orioles would make it really hard to finish tied for first or better. Not only would Boston have to collapse (4-9 or worse) but the Jays would also have to finish at no better than 7-6 themselves. With the number of times those three teams play each other coming up, a lot would have to go right for that scenario to occur (if it is even mathematically possible).

I think 8 wins (a split and three series wins or any other combination) gives us an outside shot. 9-4 gives us a better shot, particularly if three wins are against Boston. 10-3 and I would be surprised if we didn?t at least force a play-in game.

These 4 games against Boston are critical on 3 phases.

1.We must have great pitching performances.

2.Our bats must score lots of runs.

3.Our fielding must be exceptional.

It's #1 that worries me. But we can do it. Let's go O's. Confidence is high. :thumbsup1:

This series reminds me, albeit to a lesser degree, of the final series of the season in 1982 with the Brewers. A 4 game set that the Os needed to sweep in order to win the division. Os won the first three games, only to lose the final game of the season. I think Palmer took the loss. I think it was Palmer against Sutton? Two elder statesmen with great hair.

Taking 3 of 4 in this series would be a great outcome. A sweep of the Sox might cause me to miss work on Friday...

Archived