Too soon... to think about 2017 roster?

Bradysburns

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy as it's going to look once I've actually typed it, I think the Orioles' pitching has a chance to be decent next year (yep, sure looks crazy) if everyone stays healthy. But they really need to change the offensive philosophy. The strikeouts are killing potential big innings far too often. Chris Davis still has a shot at Mark Reynolds' all-time single season strikeout record. He's already has seven more than last year. Trumbo has been a savior in many ways, but he's probably going to be around 175 Ks when the season ends. Schoop still strikes out too much and Alvarez may hit the 100 mark in 350 or less at bats. How many times have they had two or three guns on base and seen the next two (or even three) guys strike out?

They really could use a guy or two with some speed who can get on base and make things happen. And they absolutely have to do something to improve the corner outfield defense. I suppose what they really need is 2012 Michael Bourn. Where they're going to get the sort of athletic guy they need, I don't know.

If we have the same budget as this year, Wieters and Trumbo walking would give us $25M to play with. Let Pedro walk and put Kim at DH with Mancini, and that is another $5.75M. Also don't forget Peter was apparently prepared to sign off on Fowler last year on top of Gallardo, so perhaps there is room for more. That said, yes, it is probably wishful thinking to land our top choice but I wouldn't say budget is already maxed.

I see between 6-7M in contractual increases. We'll have Miley's salary for a full season. Then we'll have the arb increases highlighted by Manny, Britton, Tillman, and Schoop. That will eat into that $30M pretty quickly.

I see between 6-7M in contractual increases. We'll have Miley's salary for a full season. Then we'll have the arb increases highlighted by Manny, Britton, Tillman, and Schoop. That will eat into that $30M pretty quickly.

not including partial payments to Pearce, Hunter, Duensing, Bourn and Stubbs all of which will be FA:

-15.8 Wieters

-9.15 Trumbo

-5.75 Alvarez

-1.3 Reimold

-----

-32.0 free agents

-24.9 cost of arbitration players 2016

+36.3 estimated arbitration costs 2017

+5.0 increase in FA contracts (Jimenez, Hardy, ODay, Gallardo)

-----

-15.6 million

Then there's Wade Miley, I forget how much of his contract is being paid this season, but that's 8.92 mil on the books.

Basically, the Orioles will have a tight budget but still something to work with.

Might as well take a look at the AL East too. Notable free agents:

BOS

Clay Bucholz (team option)

Ryan Hanigan (team option)

Aaron Hill

David Ortiz (retiring)

Junichi Tazawa

Koji Uehara

Brad Ziegler

NYY

Mark Teixeira (retiring) - that's it

TBR

Kevin Jepsen

Logan Morrison

Alexei Ramirez

TOR

Jose Bautista

Joaquin Benoit

Brett Cecil

R.A. Dickey

Edwin Encarnacion

Scott Feldman

Gavin Floyd

Jason Grilli (team option)

Dioner Navarro

Michael Saunders

Toronto has the biggest loss of the four, although Boston will take a hit without Ortiz and Uehara. Look for Tampa to trade Logan Forsythe, whose salary will make a big jump. The Yankees are sitting pretty -- though they likely won't be big spenders as they continue to shed bad old contracts.

Might as well take a look at the AL East too. Notable free agents:

BOS

Clay Bucholz (team option)

Ryan Hanigan (team option)

Aaron Hill

David Ortiz (retiring)

Junichi Tazawa

Koji Uehara

Brad Ziegler

NYY

Mark Teixeira (retiring) - that's it

TBR

Kevin Jepsen

Logan Morrison

Alexei Ramirez

TOR

Jose Bautista

Joaquin Benoit

Brett Cecil

R.A. Dickey

Edwin Encarnacion

Scott Feldman

Gavin Floyd

Jason Grilli (team option)

Dioner Navarro

Michael Saunders

Toronto has the biggest loss of the four, although Boston will take a hit without Ortiz and Uehara. Look for Tampa to trade Logan Forsythe, whose salary will make a big jump. The Yankees are sitting pretty -- though they likely won't be big spenders as they continue to shed bad old contracts.

I hear the Baltimore media and front office say it every year. But it's really true this year. This is a fairly weak FA class in terms of elite talent.

I hear the Baltimore media and front office say it every year. But it's really true this year. This is a fairly weak FA class in terms of elite talent.

Baltimore will simply need Machado to keep steady and see more improvement from Schoop, Gausman and Bundy, maybe Kim, get returns from Mancini, etc etc.

My top five FA targets based on Orioles needs in 2017:

Jason Castro (30 C) - especially if the team moves on from Wieters, this is the perfect low-cost veteran compliment to Chance Sisco.

Ian Desmond (32 CF) - maybe he moves to LF/RF with Jonesy staying in CF, but anyway his transition to OF has worked wonderfully.

Matthew Joyce (33 LF) - he's an on base machine whose bat is back just as I predicted. He is cheap and can play sub-par OF unlike Pedro Alvarez.

Josh Reddick (30 RF) - his trade means no QO status. He has done badly in LA which may drive his price down a bit. Though not a star, he can hit fairly well and his glove would be an immense upgrade.

Luis Valbuena (31 IF) - has found his stroke the past three seasons and is really contributing for a Houston team that will have no room for him next season. Can play 1B, 2B, 3B and basically improve a great deal on Ryan Flaherty.

Note none of them are starting pitchers. The pickings there are slim (and Bartolo Colon). Improving the rotation would be great, but I don't see both Gallardo and Miley going to the pen. Of course health can change anything.

Be surprised if the O's don't pick up a RF .

The Rule 5 guy is probably able to play RF. Rickard will compete for the RF job. And the O's may also pick up a player that can play RF with less that 3 years of major league service time by trading minor leaguer(s) for him.

Baltimore will simply need Machado to keep steady and see more improvement from Schoop, Gausman and Bundy, maybe Kim, get returns from Mancini, etc etc.

My top five FA targets based on Orioles needs in 2017:

Jason Castro (30 C) - especially if the team moves on from Wieters, this is the perfect low-cost veteran compliment to Chance Sisco.

Ian Desmond (32 CF) - maybe he moves to LF/RF with Jonesy staying in CF, but anyway his transition to OF has worked wonderfully.

Matthew Joyce (33 LF) - he's an on base machine whose bat is back just as I predicted. He is cheap and can play sub-par OF unlike Pedro Alvarez.

Josh Reddick (30 RF) - his trade means no QO status. He has done badly in LA which may drive his price down a bit. Though not a star, he can hit fairly well and his glove would be an immense upgrade.

Luis Valbuena (31 IF) - has found his stroke the past three seasons and is really contributing for a Houston team that will have no room for him next season. Can play 1B, 2B, 3B and basically improve a great deal on Ryan Flaherty.

Note none of them are starting pitchers. The pickings there are slim (and Bartolo Colon). Improving the rotation would be great, but I don't see both Gallardo and Miley going to the pen. Of course health can change anything.

I really like your thinking behind Valbuena, especially. Improving the bench would be great. These are the kinds of fringy moves that DD seems best at, too. And they're the ones that can make a huge (and inexpensive) difference over a long season.

Joyce seems like a reasonable option for right field, in particular. His fielding peripherals look better in right, but I'm no expert on that. Mainly his OBP is ridiculous... A .400 OBP in our lineup would be a significant move in the right direction.

Castro - another good call. It doesn't sound to me like we'll have Wieters back this year, from what I am reading. He's apparently asking for 10's of millions more than the Orioles are wanting to offer. I think the O's thought they'd lose him last offseason. I doubt they go the same route this offseason. That's too bad, because I like Wieters - but not at huge money. To me he's a 3/39 guy, but I think he wants more. He may get it.

In terms of starters, there's nobody in this FA class I would really pursue.

The Rule 5 guy is probably able to play RF. Rickard will compete for the RF job. And the O's may also pick up a player that can play RF with less that 3 years of major league service time by trading minor leaguer(s) for him.

Ech - I see Rickard as a fourth outfielder, Nate McClouth type (so I guess a stop-gap left fielder). If he winds up starting in right, that would shock me.

Anyone that thinks the Yankees wont look to spend this offseason is kidding themselves.

Toronto has a ton of FA's and could be losing a lot.

We have Mancini and Sisco that could contribute next year. D.Alvarez and C.Walker to a lesser extent. Maybe they are victims of Norfolk's home ballpark. I wouldn't mind us doing a bad contract swap for either Gallardo or Miley for an OF'er. We really need to look to extend Manny and Schoop. Schoop's slump might make him easier to extend. Then if Schoop is signed up then that can only help with Machado.

Anyone that thinks the Yankees wont look to spend this offseason is kidding themselves.

Toronto has a ton of FA's and could be losing a lot.

We have Mancini and Sisco that could contribute next year. D.Alvarez and C.Walker to a lesser extent. Maybe they are victims of Norfolk's home ballpark. I wouldn't mind us doing a bad contract swap for either Gallardo or Miley for an OF'er. We really need to look to extend Manny and Schoop. Schoop's slump might make him easier to extend. Then if Schoop is signed up then that can only help with Machado.

The Yankees might want to spend, and certainly CAN spend. But who will they spend on? Normally I would just grant them their pick among elite FA pitchers coming to market. But there are none this year. Except Strasburg. That would be such a typical Yankee signing, IMO. Strasburg for 10 years, $270 million or something insane like that.

The Yankees might want to spend, and certainly CAN spend. But who will they spend on? Normally I would just grant them their pick among elite FA pitchers coming to market. But there are none this year. Except Strasburg. That would be such a typical Yankee signing, IMO. Strasburg for 10 years, $270 million or something insane like that.

Strasburg already extended with the Nats earlier this season. He won't be a FA this coming year.

Archived