Buck Stuff

ChuckS

He did everything textbook and sat there all game. The less decisions he makes, the better they are. Buck over thinks sometimes and he did just that last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty easy to do when the opposition goes 3 up 3 down every inning. Kudos to Gibbons then.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the Post:

Get this first part straight as a Utah highway: Buck Showalter is without question one of the best in-game managers in all of baseball. Nothing that happens on a diamond escapes him — how the grass is cut, where a left fielder shades a hitter, which lights in the scoreboard burned out yesterday, which ones burned out the day before.

Understand this as well: Baseball’s conventional wisdom holds that, when playing a tie game on the road, a team holds back its closer until it takes a lead.

Here’s the problem, as it pertains to Tuesday night: The closer for Showalter’s Baltimore Orioles is Zach Britton, who saved every game he had the opportunity to this year (47) and was scored upon four times in 69 outings. He wasn’t just any closer. He was a candidate to be the Most Valuable Player in the American League.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/edwin-encarnacions-walk-off-homer-lifts-blue-jays-past-orioles-in-al-wild-card-game/2016/10/04/c5bf35a0-8a64-11e6-bff0-d53f592f176e_story.html

Inexcusable.

The entire world is currently slack jawed at what was one of the worst decisions in the history of professional sports.

Outside of sports I'm sure Buck is a good person, but within the realm of the sport this is unforgivable. This ranks right up there with Maier but feels worse because it was self-inflicted.

We spend money and time supporting this team and the manager decides to not play the best player. There is no discussion, there is no nothing. This can't happen but it did.

I'm done with him. Thanks for helping turn the ship around. There is no coming back from this.

My god, we can't score, Jimenez has a lousy game after pitching well for a month, and it's Buck's fault? That's ridiculous.

So the world is going to ignore the terrible offense that probably wasn't ever going to score again?

This was about as excruciating as an 89 win season could possibly be, I would imagine.

I will take it over 63-99, but I really do not enjoy this brand of baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One thing about internet forums: they're places where adults can thrown adult tantrums.

This nonsense that Buck and Adam Jones need to go is absolutely ludicrous. These guys saved the O's and have given us 5 years of winning. I want both of them back!

Everyone needs to relax. The game was the game. For all we know, Britton enters the game and gives up a seeing eye single that scores a run.

The fact is: this game was largely lost because Toronto's pitchers (much like the O's) were fabulous. Period. They held our hitters, we didn't score more than 2 in nine innings.

Looking forward to Spring Training 2017!

One thing about internet forums: they're places where adults can thrown adult tantrums.

This nonsense that Buck and Adam Jones need to go is absolutely ludicrous. These guys saved the O's and have given us 5 years of winning. I want both of them back!

Everyone needs to relax. The game was the game. For all we know, Britton enters the game and gives up a seeing eye single that scores a run.

The fact is: this game was largely lost because Toronto's pitchers (much like the O's) were fabulous. Period. They held our hitters, we didn't score more than 2 in nine innings.

Looking forward to Spring Training 2017!

How dare you suggest that the other team had talented baseball players who wanted to win as much as us? They're Canadians!

(Okay, technically they're mostly Americans and Dominicans and various other non-Canuck nationalities representing the Great Northern Menace. But let's not get too far into the weeds.)

Archived