Build next years team

higgybaby

You are 100% WRONG. All you had to do was look at the game log from 2015 before you posted. Gausman pitched in relief in 2015 to start the year. He pitched on April 7 in relief. He pitched all of April in relief and from the looks of it, didn't go on the DL until after a May 6 relief appearance. He came back on June 20 in the rotation. So Gausman was healthy to begin the season. They didn't have to hand Jimenez a spot. They decided to. He rewarded them with a 2-1 record, a 1.59 ERA and a 0.794 WHIP in April 2015. Yet you continue to use his "always gets off to a slow start" argument for why the Orioles will start him out in the bullpen.

It doesn't make all of the sense in the world. Buck isn't going to want a catcher who needs for on his defense. The main reason you want him on the team is for his offense and yet you have him playing one day a week until if and when his defense improves. For your information, Don Werner is the guy credited with improving Caleb Joseph. He's our minor league catching instructor. Of course, I guess you believe John Russell is the only guy who can help Sisco. He's been getting help and will most likely continue to get that at the minor league level. If his defense is considered passable I do believe there's a chance he starts next spring. If he makes the team, it won't be playing once a week while he works on his defense.

Your age argument is just dumb. Dan Duquette doesn't care how Steve Pearce brings the team average age up. Pearce is a great guy to have on a team because he can still hit and fill in at multiple positions and the team has a history with him. It will come down to money and the makeup of the rest of the team as usual.

Why are you talking about 2015? We just finished the 2016 season. Gausman started the year on the DL in 2016. So you are 100% wrong.

There will be a learn curve for Sisco when ever he come to the majors. Joseph will start 2017 as the main catcher and when he played a lot in 2015 he hit almost as well and Wieters did this year. Just not for as many games. Joseph defense and game calling is just as good as Wieters IMO. I am sure Russel and Werner worked together to improve Joseph defense.

I will be very surprised if Pearce starts 2017 with the O's. His age, injury proneness and his salary are all against him being back with the O's to start the season.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gausman began the year on the DL and then Gallardo went down until mid June. Buck didn't have much choice but to start Jimenez.

Having Sisco on the team to start the year makes all the sense in the world. Joesph is the main catcher. Sisco begins the year starting once a week and learning. He will work with Russel extensively in ST and if he seems good enough, I think he makes the team. His playing time increases during the year. I look for the O's to have a veteran catcher at AAA in case he is needed. The O's need OBP to get better and Sisco has a good chance to provide it. I will not be surprise if Sisco gets some guidance from Russell this off season.

No one on the 2016 team was 34 or older. Dan adds younger player to keep the pipeline good and keep the team age down. The O's let Pearce go last off season and that will probably happen again.

I like that plan with Sisco.

I'm encouraged and happy about gausman/bundy. I have a great feeling about sedlock.

Bullpen is team's strength obviously.

The lineup has to improve. DD has his work cut out for him in finding help and please not dumpster fire help. Let's legitimately improve so that it's not painful to watch lol.

You mean a postseason appearance, then? I'll gladly take that.

But tell me more about how the team will be a much bigger factor in the postseason next year if we trade Machado, Britton, and Jones.

Yep, one and out makes you a genius in Baltimore and so does never winning anything after the regular season ends. This team won't win anything in October so long as Showalter is managing. Keep pretending that we get nothing of value in return for trading those three guys and that it will be just like giving them away for nothing though. It will be exactly like that when they all walk for picks, so you'll get your wish.

This team and even organization, as currently constructed, will not win a championship or even come close to it. Getting to the postseason is enough for you. It's not for me, I want to win. Settle all you want, though.

Why are you talking about 2015? We just finished the 2016 season. Gausman started the year on the DL in 2016. So you are 100% wrong.

There will be a learn curve for Sisco when ever he come to the majors. Joseph will start 2017 as the main catcher and when he played a lot in 2015 he hit almost as well and Wieters did this year. Just not for as many games. Joseph defense and game calling is just as good as Wieters IMO. I am sure Russel and Werner worked together to improve Joseph defense.

I will be very surprised if Pearce starts 2017 with the O's. His age, injury proneness and his salary are all against him being back with the O's to start the season.

I'm one of Sisco's biggest fans, and even I think it's obvious he should play all of next season in AAA. He'll turn 22 just as the season starts. How many 22 year olds catchers play effectively in the bigs? If the O's don't re-sign Wieters, I'd be very surprised if they don't acquire someone to start ahead of Caleb at catcher.

Yep, one and out makes you a genius in Baltimore and so does never winning anything after the regular season ends. This team won't win anything in October so long as Showalter is managing. Keep pretending that we get nothing of value in return for trading those three guys and that it will be just like giving them away for nothing though. It will be exactly like that when they all walk for picks, so you'll get your wish.

This team and even organization, as currently constructed, will not win a championship or even come close to it. Getting to the postseason is enough for you. It's not for me, I want to win. Settle all you want, though.

This is nonsense. The team has won in October or did you not watch the games in the past against Texas, Detroit. If not, I am sorry you missed them, they were fantastic. Or, if you saw them and just didn't enjoy them, I am sorry about that as well. You operate under the idea that all World Series are won by the most carefully constructed, best on paper, well run organizationally designed teams. If you look back through baseball history, you will find that not only is this not the case, it is pretty much a crapshoot at the level of the playoffs.

I will refer you to the 1969 World Series that I attended as a small example of how the "best" "most talented" teams often do not wing the championship. Now, I grew up when you only went to the World Series. There were no playoffs. Do you want to measure success in that fashion again? Because back then only two teams went and for the vast majority of years, one of those teams was the MFYs.

And it is not a matter of desire. Everybody on this board wants the Orioles to win the World Series. Everybody. And, you know what, I suspect that Buck and Dan also want to win a world championship pretty badly too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Took four pages, but this is the question that must be answered frist.

I don't think the payroll would have gone up in the first place if PA hadn't been sold on the notion of "competitive window", which doesn't end until after next season at the earliest. So I expect it to stay the same. 2018 is anybody's guess.

I don't think the payroll would have gone up in the first place if PA hadn't been sold on the notion of "competitive window", which doesn't end until after next season at the earliest. So I expect it to stay the same. 2018 is anybody's guess.

Potter: "Dan, I have a number in mind between 120 and 200 million dollars."

Dan: "What is it sir?"

Potter: "Guess"

Dan: "200 million"

Potter: "Do you think this is Boston?" "Toronto, perhaps?"

I'm one of Sisco's biggest fans, and even I think it's obvious he should play all of next season in AAA. He'll turn 22 just as the season starts. How many 22 year olds catchers play effectively in the bigs? If the O's don't re-sign Wieters, I'd be very surprised if they don't acquire someone to start ahead of Caleb at catcher.

I don't care if he can catch a lick. He's got the kind of bat we need in our lineup.

Let him catch 40 games, play first base 20 and DH 60.

If Mancini is going to be a full time player, I think it is absurd for him to be a full time DH at this stage of his career. They need to figure out how he can play first for a fair number of games and have Davis DH those games or play right.

If Mancini is going to be a full time player, I think it is absurd for him to be a full time DH at this stage of his career. They need to figure out how he can play first for a fair number of games and have Davis DH those games or play right.

Play him in the OF at Norfolk next year and see what happens. Mancini isn't going to be harmed if he starts the year at AAA. I know most people don't think he can make it in the OF but it may be worth a shot.

Play him in the OF at Norfolk next year and see what happens. Mancini isn't going to be harmed if he starts the year at AAA. I know most people don't think he can make it in the OF but it may be worth a shot.

Yes, let's keep all our best prospects in AAA until they are 27 and overpay some random donk veterans.

Archived