Orioles discussing a qualifying offer to Wieters again this offseason

Tony-OH

Smart move by the Orioles here. Can't risk that kind of money on a 30-year old catcher on the decline. Now they can work on getting him a multi-year deal that is more economically feasible. If Wieters gets a 4-year deal from someone I'll eat my hat. haha

I'd try to re-up Wieters on a two year deal, though we'll know what they think of Sisco's catching skills by what they offer Matt years-wise. If they offer a three or (gasp) a four year deal, then they've assessed Sisco catch at the major league level effectively.

Me, I'd offer Wieters two years at $25 million. I might be squeezed for $2 more million by Boros, but that would e it. Anything more and I'll go with Joseph and Pena/some other backup who can give me 40 games a year with solid defense.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Smart move by the Orioles here. Can't risk that kind of money on a 30-year old catcher on the decline. Now they can work on getting him a multi-year deal that is more economically feasible. If Wieters gets a 4-year deal from someone I'll eat my hat. haha

I'd try to re-up Wieters on a two year deal, though we'll know what they think of Sisco's catching skills by what they offer Matt years-wise. If they offer a three or (gasp) a four year deal, then they've assessed Sisco catch at the major league level effectively.

Me, I'd offer Wieters two years at $25 million. I might be squeezed for $2 more million by Boros, but that would e it. Anything more and I'll go with Joseph and Pena/some other backup who can give me 40 games a year with solid defense.

I'd be happy with that, but fear as the big fish (noting that the big fish isn't always the best) in a small pond, he'll get what he wants. I can't see him coming back under $15m for 3 years.

I'd be happy with that, but fear as the big fish (noting that the big fish isn't always the best) in a small pond, he'll get what he wants. I can't see him coming back under $15m for 3 years.

More like big fish in a mud puddle. Matt is going to make a boat load of money this offseason. Who pays him will really be interesting to see.

By why lock up these guys if you don't have a young' date=' cost controlled team around them? There's no point in cutting salary so you can lock up Schoop and Machado and company, only to end up having those 2 or 3 players take up so much of your salary that meaningful FA signings become impossible going forward. UNLESS you can build a team with cost controlled, high end talent around them. Then it makes sense. Otherwise you end up like the Angels. They have Trout on a relatively decent deal, but no cost controlled talent around him, and no money left to bring in talent. The way you avoid that is by stockpiling draft picks. Offering Wieters the QO goes towards that future.[/quote']

Our t rospect who may be our carcher of the future hit .320 this year and we have solid talent in the minors at that position...so we do have cost controlled guys. Can find a decent catcher like Hundley on the market too...

Then I'm fine with him walking. Wieters is 30-year old catcher who slashed .227/.294/.399/.693 during the 2nd half of the season last year and is only a little above league average in throwing out runners now. I'd rather dump his money into someone like Fowler.

Agree Wieters likes it here I think he can still be resigned.

Then I'm fine with him walking. Wieters is 30-year old catcher who slashed .227/.294/.399/.693 during the 2nd half of the season last year and is only a little above league average in throwing out runners now. I'd rather dump his money into someone like Fowler.

Caleb is a 30 year old catcher who had an OPS of .412 last season. If we don't sign Wieters we really need to sign someone.

I don't think Boras would have him accept it thIs time. Matt is healthy and productive for a catcher

You can feel free to say that you don't think Boras would advise him to take it.

That doesn't mean that there is a 0% chance he takes it.

I don't think that much has changed since last offseason and if he didn't have a strong market then he probably doesn't now.

Archived