Tyson Ross Non-Tendered by Padres

wildbillhiccup

The Orioles really need to make a serious play for this guy. The upside is tremendous. Well worth the injury risk IMO. 

Just for context both Jaime Garcia and Chris Young recently made successful comebacks from  thoracic outlet syndrome surgery. Based on when he had the surgery he's on pace to be ready for Opening Day. 

Get it done Dan!

While we're on the subject of starting pitching anyone wonder why the O's weren't able to unload one or both of Gallardo/Jimenez onto Atlanta? The Braves seemed to be in the market for stop gap pitching and the O's should have given them both away for a bag of balls just to get out from under this contracts. Hate to come across as an ageist, but I just don't think these older GMs (i.e., Duquette) live and breathe the game 24/7 like the younger ones do. You'll never know what teams are looking to trade or trade or unless you maintain constant contact. You can't just engage them once a year at the GM meetings or limit your calls to the GMs you have a history with. Again, I'm completely speculating, but I just have a hunch that Duquette maintains a fairly healthy work / life balance. Good for him...not so much for the team. 

2 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Atlanta is rumored to be after Sale. Not sure their plans.

I think they view Sale as a unique opportunity to get a relatively young Cy Young type pitcher at a very affordable salary over the next few years. Sale could anchor their rotation for the next 3 - 4 years. It's a shame the Orioles don't have the minor league depth to make a play for him. 

54 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

While we're on the subject of starting pitching anyone wonder why the O's weren't able to unload one or both of Gallardo/Jimenez onto Atlanta? The Braves seemed to be in the market for stop gap pitching and the O's should have given them both away for a bag of balls just to get out from under this contracts. Hate to come across as an ageist, but I just don't think these older GMs (i.e., Duquette) live and breathe the game 24/7 like the younger ones do. You'll never know what teams are looking to trade or trade or unless you maintain constant contact. You can't just engage them once a year at the GM meetings or limit your calls to the GMs you have a history with. Again, I'm completely speculating, but I just have a hunch that Duquette maintains a fairly healthy work / life balance. Good for him...not so much for the team. 

Why would Atlanta give up a bag of balls for our pitchers when the can just sign FAs?

Archived