Will the O's try to trade a starter?

wildcard

2 hours ago, Rene88 said:

They should have traded Brach last year. What you can get for Brach or Britton will never be higher so yes, they should. The return would really help us. Will DD pull the trigger? Doubtful....because he's not a very good GM.

That's ridiculous. You don't trade one of your best RP when you're trying to win the WS. What's the difference in what we could've got then, and what we can get now?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I'm not that worried about Bundy's innings.   Take Jordan Zimmermann for example: he threw 70 professional innings in the year he returned from TJ, and threw 161 the next.    I would not have a problem with Bundy throwing 160-170 next year if he's effective.

For every Jordan Zimmermann there is probably two Shaun Marcum's and Josh Johnson's.  What about Erik Bedard?  Most O's fans are familiar with what he did after TJ surgery.  Frankly erring on the side of caution is a better approach IMO.  Because losing Bundy scares the heck out of me.

Here is a list of players would have had TJ surgery.  Focus on the starters. See what you think are the odds and how much caution is prudent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_baseball_players_who_underwent_Tommy_John_surgery

As much as I hate to admit this they should probably revisit the Ethier talks with the Dodgers. Gallardo for Ethier. One salary dump for another and at least they temporarily fill their OF need (for a year). I'm not a big Ethier fan, but you could probably pencil him in for 20+ HRs and .290 batting average playing his home games at Camden Yards...assuming he can stay healthy. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Gallardo is untradeable.  Jimenez and Miley might be tradeable.  The O's won't eat salary but they might take one back.

You're probably right. If we have to keep Gallardo, I'd prefer to trade UJ. Then give Gallardo a very short leash. 

5 hours ago, Rene88 said:

They should have traded Brach last year. What you can get for Brach or Britton will never be higher so yes, they should. The return would really help us. Will DD pull the trigger? Doubtful....because he's not a very good GM.

I was unaware that Brach and Britton were SP's. Ubaldo has the best upside but the worst downside. If we ate 3M we might be able to move him for something we need. Miley is the easiest at 8 M and being a lefty. Gallardo would be very difficult to move. I think we're pretty much stuck with him.

Archived