Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

11 minutes ago, crawjo said:

I'm biased because I absolutely hate watching Trumbo play baseball, and if we yoke ourselves to him for four more years, I will mutiny. There's never been an everyday player for the Orioles who I disliked more, and so the thought of overpaying to keep him around is sickening to me. 

He is at best a 2 WAR player. At best. He is mediocre at every single aspect of baseball except for hitting the ball over the fence. We have too many hitters like him already. Chris Davis at least gives you value outside of his home run power. 

I would not resign Trumbo for anything beyond one year. 

Really?  haha.  Trumbo was not only our only source of offense in the WC game, but he was the only person even making good contact.  On anything.  

Trumbo definitely has his limitations and question marks.  But this has turned into a dream scenario that nobody predicted that could happen during the season.  Posters wanted to trade him for Gio Gonzalez at the deadline because they thought he would get a Cespedes type deal.  

It's basically January and he's unsigned.  Just give him the 4/52.  DD won this one.  Trumbo just has to swallow his pride and come back.  

We're not going to sign every player to a perfect deal.  I'm sure there were people that were against the Jones extension when that happened.  Messing around and losing Trumbo now is going to result in us having to pay a much riskier player and/or trade Brach.  Wanting Brach for Granderson, and not wanting Trumbo back, is beyond dumb.  

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, crawjo said:

I'm biased because I absolutely hate watching Trumbo play baseball, and if we yoke ourselves to him for four more years, I will mutiny. There's never been an everyday player for the Orioles who I disliked more, and so the thought of overpaying to keep him around is sickening to me. 

That is quite an astounding statement.   My only problem with Trumbo is that we stuck him in the OF for 96 games.    I'd be perfectly comfortable watching him DH.   

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Really?  haha.  Trumbo was not only our only source of offense in the WC game, but he was the only person even making good contact.  On anything.  

Trumbo definitely has his limitations and question marks.  But this has turned into a dream scenario that nobody predicted that could happen during the season.  Posters wanted to trade him for Gio Gonzalez at the deadline because they thought he would get a Cespedes type deal.  

It's basically January and he's unsigned.  Just give him the 4/52.  DD won this one.  Trumbo just has to swallow his pride and come back.  

We're not going to sign every player to a perfect deal.  I'm sure there were people that were against the Jones extension when that happened.  Messing around and losing Trumbo now is going to result in us having to pay a much riskier player and/or trade Brach.  Wanting Brach for Granderson, and not wanting Trumbo back, is beyond dumb.  

Nobody with any sense thought Trumbo would get a Cespedes-type deal.   I think the O's could find better uses of $52 mm than paying it to Mark Trumbo for the next four years (I'd rather have had Josh Reddick for that money, for example), but if we signed him for that, it wouldn't outrage me.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nobody with any sense thought Trumbo would get a Cespedes-type deal.   I think the O's could find better uses of $52 mm than paying it to Mark Trumbo for the next four years (I'd rather have had Josh Reddick for that money, for example), but if we signed him for that, it wouldn't outrage me.

Maybe Reddick, but he might not sign that deal with the Orioles.  He's a west coast guy that stayed with the Dodgers.  

2 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

We offered him that so ownership and DD could save face, unlike with Cruz and Markakis 2 years ago 

I don't think the team lost face when Cruz and Markakis walked.  The team made reasonable offers to both and other teams made, what was viewed at the time, as excessive offers to them.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don't think the Orioles really "bid against themselves" in the Davis situation.    The final deal had about the same economic value as the original deal, but with more deferred money so that the total looks a little higher.    Basically, they let Scott Boras save face.   I don't think Trumbo stands to gain much by waiting the Orioles out.   

I think the O's probably expected Trumbo's market to be a four-year deal.    At his age, it wasn't unreasonable to think that.   

I also think they wanted to show Trumbo (and other teams) early on that they were serious about re-signing him.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The Dodgers can probably afford to pay a platoon outfielder that kind of money, but the Orioles really can't, IMO, even a very good player vs. RHP like Reddick.  Incredibly poor vs. LHP.  Believe it or not, Pedro's OPS vs. LHP in 2016 was more than 300 points higher than Reddick's.  Yes, really.

6 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I get that, but I feel it's really just so they can say "oh well, we tried." to the fans

Nothing stopping them from saying that.  I'm sure it is what they are going to say when Machado walks.

Heck you don't even have to make an offer to say you tried.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nothing stopping them from saying that.  I'm sure it is what they are going to say when Machado walks.

Heck you don't even have to make an offer to say you tried.

I'm not going to be prepared for that day. My thinking is that we made an actual offer, so that's why most fans aren't up in arms about players leaving

6 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I'm not going to be prepared for that day. My thinking is that we made an actual offer, so that's why most fans aren't up in arms about players leaving

I'm not up in arms about Cruz, Markakis and Trumbo leaving because I'd rather they not resign them.

Why should fans get upset about Trumbo?

Archived