Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

33 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I think the Granderson for Brach rumor earlier this offseason has some legs.  They need to shave payroll and they have two 8 figure RFers.  I'm sure they'd like to move Bruce, but are there any takers?

Makes no sense to trade a valuable asset for a guy when there are so many FA that would fit just fine. 

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Why?

Because if the Mats were willing to do Brach for Granderson straight up and the O's willing to take on the whole 15 M it would have happened. I think the O's would through in a MiL to get the Mets to eat some of that 15 M.

10 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Because if the Mats were willing to do Brach for Granderson straight up and the O's willing to take on the whole 15 M it would have happened. I think the O's would through in a MiL to get the Mets to eat some of that 15 M.

This is the key part.  No, the Orioles do not need to throw in anything.  The Mets do.  Or, they can pay $28 million for a Granderson/Bruce platoon and start the season with a weak bullpen.

22 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

Makes no sense to trade a valuable asset for a guy when there are so many FA that would fit just fine. 

Are these FAs as good as Granderson?  Do they play defense well?  Can they play against both righties and lefties?  Can they play good defense in right?

36 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Are these FAs as good as Granderson?  Do they play defense well?  Can they play against both righties and lefties?  Can they play good defense in right?

I'd rather just keep Brach and go with Trumbo at DH and Smith in RF.  Tavarez would make a good late inning defensive sub along with Rickard in LF.  

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'd rather just keep Brach and go with Trumbo at DH and Smith in RF.  Tavarez would make a good late inning defensive sub along with Rickard in LF.  

Would just need to hope that either Smith or Kim can hit a lefty and that their combined defense doesn't kill us in the first seven innings.

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

This is the key part.  No, the Orioles do not need to throw in anything.  The Mets do.  Or, they can pay $28 million for a Granderson/Bruce platoon and start the season with a weak bullpen.

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

The Mets look pretty thin in their OF, after Cespedes, Granderson and Bruce.  If they're going for all the marbles this season, I really can't see them trading Granderson.  They have him penciled in as their CF and lead-off man.  Anyway, all this talk of a Brach trade is pretty much useless rhetoric until his arbitration case is settled sometime between Jan. 30 and Feb. 17.

1 minute ago, ELMERO said:

The Mets look pretty thin in their OF, after Cespedes, Granderson and Bruce.  If they're going for all the marbles this season, I really can't see them trading Granderson.  They have him penciled in as their CF and lead-off man.  Anyway, all this talk of a Brach trade is pretty much useless rhetoric until his arbitration case is settled sometime between Jan. 30 and Feb. 17.

They want to and will give Conforto a ton of ABs.

You can definitely trade a guy before arbitration is settled.

9 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

Arbitration is irrelevant.  You are apparently under the impression that the Mets want to block Conforto.  What makes you believe that?

12 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Arbitration is irrelevant.  You are apparently under the impression that the Mets want to block Conforto.  What makes you believe that?

Yeah... right now it's Conforto in LF, Cespedes in CF and Granderson in RF with Bruce on the bench if I were manager.

28 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Yeah... right now it's Conforto in LF, Cespedes in CF and Granderson in RF with Bruce on the bench if I were manager.

Agreed.  And $13 million on the bench is a tough pill to swallow.  Especially when they have a good 4th outfielder in Lagares.  It has been pretty well publicized that they would like to trade an outfielder.  They've made it clear that they would prefer to trade Bruce, but with no takers, indications are that Granderson can be had.  The Mets are not in the driver's seat here, and are in no position to dictate terms with a hard line, IMO.  Granderson is the better fit for Baltimore, and the Orioles have relief pitching, which is a need for the Mets. 

Granderson plus cash for Brach makes a lot of sense for both teams.  Trumbo would then sign elsewhere, netting us a comp pick.  That gives Mancini a shot at DH in a platoon with Kim, and also platoon Rickard with Smith in LF.  If either Mancini or Rickard falter in the first month or two, Santander is likely to be coming off the DL about then and could be plugged in for either one.  My first choice was Saunders, but with that option closed, I would be happy with either trading for Granderson or signing Trumbo at this point.  It is hard for me to see the Orioles lineup being close to the one we had last year without doing one of the two, though.

50 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

They want to and will give Conforto a ton of ABs.

You can definitely trade a guy before arbitration is settled.

Yeah, you're right.  I just watched his YouTube highlights from last year.  Very impressive looking young player for sure.  Didn't realize teams traded players during arbitration.

5 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

Yeah, you're right.  I just watched his YouTube highlights from last year.  Very impressive looking young player for sure.  Didn't realize teams traded players during arbitration.

O's traded Guthrie after he decided he wanted to experience the arbitration process.

41 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Agreed.  And $13 million on the bench is a tough pill to swallow.  Especially when they have a good 4th outfielder in Lagares.  It has been pretty well publicized that they would like to trade an outfielder.  They've made it clear that they would prefer to trade Bruce, but with no takers, indications are that Granderson can be had.  The Mets are not in the driver's seat here, and are in no position to dictate terms with a hard line, IMO.  Granderson is the better fit for Baltimore, and the Orioles have relief pitching, which is a need for the Mets. 

Granderson plus cash for Brach makes a lot of sense for both teams.  Trumbo would then sign elsewhere, netting us a comp pick.  That gives Mancini a shot at DH in a platoon with Kim, and also platoon Rickard with Smith in LF.  If either Mancini or Rickard falter in the first month or two, Santander is likely to be coming off the DL about then and could be plugged in for either one.  My first choice was Saunders, but with that option closed, I would be happy with either trading for Granderson or signing Trumbo at this point.  It is hard for me to see the Orioles lineup being close to the one we had last year without doing one of the two, though.

There are still a lot of directions for the team to go and they all have their intrigue.  But I agree - the Orioles still need to do something, or their group of position players won't be quite as good as last year's, and that falls squarely on the loss of Trumbo.  Smith in effect replaces Alvarez and Castillo replaces Wieters.

9 hours ago, Number5 said:

Or they can dump Bruce's salary for a bag of balls and keep Granderson.

Archived