Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure.  I saw that Fangraphs had him at 2.7 WAR last season if he had played first up to his previously demonstrated ability.  Have to figure that's better than he would do as a DH.

They had a similar article that showed he actually would have had the same value as a strict DH as he did last year. No gain or loss. Just an average ball player, a breadstick at his best.

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

They had a similar article that showed he actually would have had the same value as a strict DH as he did last year. No gain or loss. Just an average ball player, a breadstick at his best.

Did they factor in the average drop in OPS associated with being a full time DH?  (seriously asking)

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

I'm not sure that 3 years for less than $40 would be considered a bad contract for Trumbo.  The Orioles have done pretty well with this type of lineup, haven't they?

No, after seeing 3/37.5 I am fine with it. That's a steal.

Just now, Machado13 said:

IMO this is not a steal nor an overpay. Just feels, I don't know, average? Lukewarm? Not particularly for or against it. Guess it's one more good bat to have in a relentless division.

Except they once again passed on an additional draft pick.

And of course they are signing talents like Trumbo long term instead of the more talented players on the team.

The 2016 Orioles were one of my least favorite teams to watch. Too many home runs, too many strikeouts, decent enough success with a core group of players that feels like it's reached its ceiling. Now that we've doubled down on more or less bringing back the same offense for 2017 (and beyond) I'm not looking forward to watching them play next year. I feeI like I already know what this team is capable of, and they play a kind of baseball that I find boring. If I thought they would win 95 games, I'd put up with it, but honestly I'd rather see them get younger, faster, and less competitive than to watch the same group of veterans bang their heads against the same obstacles for another 162 games. 

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Except they once again passed on an additional draft pick.

And of course they are signing talents like Trumbo long term instead of the more talented players on the team.

And if they sign Manny to a longterm deal, people will find something wrong with it. 

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

And if they sign Manny to a longterm deal, people will find something wrong with it. 

I'm sure they can find a way to make even a Manny extension unpalatable.  :P

It's like I have VR goggles but the only game I can play is one where I watch car wrecks in slow motion.

Archived