Orioles told Bautista's reps...Orioles fans don't like him

Dark Helmet

6 hours ago, crawjo said:

One year, $17 million, not including draft pick. The value of the lost first-round pick is defrayed over many seasons (and also speculative, with a wide variance between the player who never makes the major leagues and the one who becomes a regular). But more importantly, if the Orioles are intent on competing for a championship in 2017, Bautista brings them closer to that goal. The pick does not. If the organization were in a rebuild (which, arguably, it should be) then the pick would obviously be more important. 

This is a logical counter argument. I still don't like the dude. Just like you hate Trumbo.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MagicBird said:

Anybody that hates Trumbo and wants Joey Bats in Baltimore instead needs to turn in his/her Orioles fancard.

I've never understood how Orioles fans have collectively decided to hate certain players over others. The hatred for Ortiz was always bizarre to me, and, frankly, embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, MagicBird said:

Anybody that hates Trumbo and wants Joey Bats in Baltimore instead needs to turn in his/her Orioles fancard.

Also, I didn't realize that having an Orioles fan card meant preferring inferior players over superior ones. 

11 minutes ago, crawjo said:

I've never understood how Orioles fans have collectively decided to hate certain players over others. The hatred for Ortiz was always bizarre to me, and, frankly, embarrassing. 

How is it embarrassing to hate Ortiz? Throwing tantrums like tearing up a dugout phone, that's embarassing.

2 hours ago, MagicBird said:

I'd prefer neither but if the choice is Trumbo on a 4 year deal or Baustista on a 1 year deal, I'll take Bautista.

I don't think either are worth it.

16 minutes ago, crawjo said:

Also, I didn't realize that having an Orioles fan card meant preferring inferior players over superior ones. 

I think part of being a fan is that there are jerk players for other teams that are disliked.  And when its a world class jerk for a hated rival that dislike is stronger.  

And saying that a declining jerk like Joey Bats is a better player than Trumbo is debatable.  

I honestly dont get why Trumbo is so hated by some here.  W/o Trumbo last year we dont play in the WC game.  We never even contend.  By all accounts he fits in well with the team.  But you think Batista would be better?

Some of you guys just want to return to the 14 year hell we went thru.  And I really think that 14 years skewed some of you guys so you cant view things thru a normal perspective nor truly appreciate having a competitive ballclub.  Instead its the woe is us with DD and all the awful players we have.

15 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I'd prefer neither but if the choice is Trumbo on a 4 year deal or Baustista on a 1 year deal, I'll take Bautista.

I don't think either are worth it.

I prefer Batista never wear and Orioles uniform.  Even for 1 yr.

23 minutes ago, crawjo said:

I'm not embarrassed to dislike a steroid using rage posing DH only from a divisional opponent that has a payroll like Boston does. No. I never appreciate when Manny goes off the deep end, and I certainly have plenty of reasons to dislike Ortiz. Now, his stats, they are lovely. Not as good as Edgar, but good enough for a DH. 

2 minutes ago, MagicBird said:

I think part of being a fan is that there are jerk players for other teams that are disliked.  And when its a world class jerk for a hated rival that dislike is stronger.  

And saying that a declining jerk like Joey Bats is a better player than Trumbo is debatable.  

I honestly dont get why Trumbo is so hated by some here.  W/o Trumbo last year we dont play in the WC game.  We never even contend.  By all accounts he fits in well with the team.  But you think Batista would be better?

Some of you guys just want to return to the 14 year hell we went thru.  And I really think that 14 years skewed some of you guys so you cant view things thru a normal perspective nor truly appreciate having a competitive ballclub.  Instead its the woe is us with DD and all the awful players we have.

With the exception of the one poster who can't stand him who is hating Trumbo?

Me thinking he is a one dimensional player who won't produce at a level that justifies his contract doesn't mean I hate him.

I just don't want the O's to sign him.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

With the exception of the one poster who can't stand him who is hating Trumbo?

Me thinking he is a one dimensional player who won't produce at a level that justifies his contract doesn't mean I hate him.

I just don't want the O's to sign him.

This. Trumbo just isn't good enough to warrant the deal being discussed. That's all.

I also don't hate athletes, not unless they do something worthy of it off the field. Behavior on the field just doesn't warrant it.

On 1/3/2017 at 7:51 PM, weams said:

If you are washed up and trying for a 150 million dollar deal at age 36 after you tore your labrum trying to back-pick Delmon, you are just a loser. All around. 

I think you're overstating the severity of Bautista's shoulder injury and it's effect on his throwing.   So far as I know, he's never been diagnosed as having a torn labrum.   Last year, fangraphs rated his arm as slightly below average (-0.8 runs), and he held runners to one base on a single, two on a double 52% of the time, compared to 47% league average.     His fielding issues have been more about declining range than a lame arm.   That said, he used to have a cannon, and doesn't anymore. 

Archived