The Market Will Come To Dan

Camden_yardbird

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stevie Janowski said:

I'm trying to see them win a World Series before I die.  It's not my fault that you don't care.

Do you have an incurable disease? other wise judging from the way you write I would guess at 5 years of age you have a lot of time ahead of you.

32 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

By this criteria, only four general managers have been worth a damn since the Orioles hired Duquette. 

Some basic rules about the OH:

1. Most posters have low standards. As long as we aren't losing 30-3, it's a victory. "Remember those 14 years of losing..."

2. The object is to be competitive not to win championships.

3. 1983 wasn't THAT long ago, some teams have never won at all.

4. Don't even possibly consider selling high on the stratospheric price of closers to fortify long-term competitiveness because the GM will be out the door by the time you have to worry about that. 

Keep your standards low. a lot like 2am in college. Post on.

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The negativity that DD attracts is really quite astonishing considering that all he's done here is win. 

DD inherited multiple all-stars (several making the league minimum), multiple top 100 prospects and a superstar and has ridden that core to three playoffs in five years - supplemented in no small part to his finding guys like McClouth, Kim, Trumbo and Cruz and an owner who has taken up payroll $30M higher than any prior Orioles iteration - and that doesn't include the $ that will be earned by Tillman and Machado and Britton and Schoop.  IMO, at least 75% of GMs would have won as much or more than DD has and maintained a better farm system with the same cheap core.

However, a lot of the run has also been financed by dealing/forfeiting draft picks - perhaps more than any GM in baseball, top 100 prospects and a multi year Cy Young award contender. 

Teams with better, cheaper young players are already competing on pretty even terms with the Orioles and will soon pass the Os as they utilize greater payroll flexibility and deal make trades from stronger farm systems -as we've seen Boston vault past us.  DD's run will likely end soon and he will turn over an under-producing payroll and a bottom five farm system and several years of losing to his successor.  Our winning ways the past few years did not have to come at such a cost to our farm system and will ultimately cost us a chunk of our future.

7 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

1. Most posters have low standards. As long as we aren't losing 30-3, it's a victory. "Remember those 14 years of losing..."

4. Don't even possibly consider selling high on the stratospheric price of closers to fortify long-term competitiveness because the GM will be out the door by the time you have to worry about that. 

When was the last time the Gnats won the WS?

15 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Scraps won't get us past the Red Sox

Need to trade from bullpen strength to get RF'er

Should we have been on Soler, sending Britton to Cubs?

I'd trade any closer for an above average position player with 6 years of team control

Not sure about Soler's defense

If you are sending Britton anywhere it's for a whole lot more than Soler.  The Brewers just got a league average 3B (with 5 year control), a #6 and #22 prospect for a guy who wishes he had Britton's third best pitch.

25 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I'd trade any closer for an above average position player with 6 years of team control

If Duquette traded Britton for Soler, you would crucify him.  And in that instance, you would be correct.

21 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Does Rizzo hate you more than Duquette?  Rizzo hasn't had the decency to treat you to a league championship series.

To get back to the topic, I think the possibilities are starting to thin out.  Jay, Joyce, Gomez, Desmond, Reddick, Pearce are all gone.

Most guys with picks are still floating around.  Fowler is the only one of them that we should be interested in.  With Gomez and Desmond gone, the Cardinals look like they could be after him.

27 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

MFW I read that post

35 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

This may be your most ludicrous post yet. Anyone that thinks sending the best closer in baseball for a poor defensive outfielder with moderate game power and questionable plate discipline might want to do a little more research on the matter. Soler is not an above average corner outfielder. He's a guy who has been worth 1.1 WAR in 211 major league games. Can he improve, sure, but he's been way more hype than production.

36 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

You forgot a few:

5. Some posters will whine and cry over every move or non move even if they don't have the full story
6. Some posters will jump to conclusion about other posters not caring about winning a World Series or only wanting to be competitive
7. Some posters just like the attention they got by always focusing on the negative
8. Some posters will never by happy. If the Orioles won a World Series they would still be like, "Why didn't then win another one the year before!"

30 minutes ago, Stevie Janowski said:

You claim you care about whether the Orioles win or not too, yet you take such umbrage to me wanting to see them win a World Series.

No, I don't have an incurable disease (real mature of you to trivialize incurable diseases, btw).  I am, however, sick of having the fact that they've never won in my lifetime hanging over my head everywhere I go.  I want to be able to sit back and enjoy baseball for what it is and not be stressed out each time we allow a base runner, but I can't do that because there's so much at stake on every single bleeping pitch, and there will be until they win it all.  So you can see why I'm upset that Duquette continues to rip that dream away from me.

If you haven't seen the O's win a WS in your lifetime that means you're under 33. I'm more than twice your age and I have an incurable disease. Good Lord stop whining and grow up, or at least get some help. but whatever:

get-off-my-lawn_0.jpg

28 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This may be your most ludicrous post yet. Anyone that thinks sending the best closer in baseball for a poor defensive outfielder with moderate game power and questionable plate discipline might want to do a little more research on the matter. Soler is not an above average corner outfielder. He's a guy who has been worth 1.1 WAR in 211 major league games. Can he improve, sure, but he's been way more hype than production.

And yet KC just did it

Wade Davis is very good maybe as good a Britton

Britton had his career year, when he drops off this year and we continue to watch fly ball drop all over the OF folks will begin asking why he wasn't traded at peak value

And perhaps Soler isn't the guy (hence my ?), but we should trade Britton right now and maximize our return IMHO

Archived