Rumor (from December): Brad Brach for Mallex Smith

Orange

Well Mallex Smith is off the board:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/7779/mallex-smith

Mariners acquired OF Mallex Smith and RHP Shae Simmons from the Braves for LHPs Luiz Gohara and Thomas Burrows.
Yes, Jerry Dipoto is at it again. The Braves just gave an extension to Ender Inciarte and have Matt Kemp and Nick Markakis in the corner outfield spots, so they cashed in on their depth to take a chance on a pair of pitching prospects. The Mariners' outfield defense already looked like a strength, but it gets even better with the addition of Smith. The 23-year-old batted .238/.316/.365 with three homers, 22 RBI, and 16 steals in 72 games as a rookie last season. There's a chance the Mariners will send him to Triple-A to begin the year, but his speed makes him worth watching in fantasy leagues

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, gtown said:

To quote Lee Corso, "Not so fast, my friend." 

Apparently the Mariners already have Smith on the trade block.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/01/mariners-working-on-another-trade-possibly-involving-just-acquired-mallex-smith.html

Looks like he's going to Tampa.   Man, I would have loved to get that guy.

Tampa's OF defense is going to be incredible, unless they are dealing Kiermaier.

8 minutes ago, murph said:

Well Mallex Smith is off the board:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/7779/mallex-smith

Mariners acquired OF Mallex Smith and RHP Shae Simmons from the Braves for LHPs Luiz Gohara and Thomas Burrows.
Yes, Jerry Dipoto is at it again. The Braves just gave an extension to Ender Inciarte and have Matt Kemp and Nick Markakis in the corner outfield spots, so they cashed in on their depth to take a chance on a pair of pitching prospects. The Mariners' outfield defense already looked like a strength, but it gets even better with the addition of Smith. The 23-year-old batted .238/.316/.365 with three homers, 22 RBI, and 16 steals in 72 games as a rookie last season. There's a chance the Mariners will send him to Triple-A to begin the year, but his speed makes him worth watching in fantasy leagues

As a Braves fan, I'm disappointed they included Simmons in the deal.  If not for TJ surgery, I think he'd be their closer now.  I view Smith as a fun 4th OFer.  His speed is absurd, and he did surprise people with his hitting in the minors.  The Ben Revere comps are reasonable, imo.  

The one OF I wanted the O's to get

I do not want the 30 something defensively challenged FA's that are still on the market

It takes a little work to actually trade for a young guy with a potential future. Re-treads and dumpster diving is all that DD has an acumen for.

No doubt we will sign Trumbo and end up with the worst OF defensive rating in the majors for the second consecutive year

Yeah defense matters to the O's... except we will be below average at 2B, LF, RF, CF, and Catcher

6 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Smith may be headed to Tampa.

I would have loved to have seen "Orioles acquire Mariners outfielder Smith, then Orioles acquire Mariners outfielder Smith.  No we are not crazy, it happened twice."

Oh and Schoop is not below average defensively.

Adam is not below average either. By far.

Just now, Frobby said:

He was last year.    We'll find out this year if it was due to nagging injuries, or whether he's simply slowing down.  

I think he's slowing down, sure. But he still has a good arm. Like you said, we'll see what caused last year.

11 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Smith may be headed to Tampa.

I would have loved to have seen "Orioles acquire Mariners outfielder Smith, then Orioles acquire Mariners outfielder Smith.  No we are not crazy, it happened twice."

Oh and Schoop is not below average defensively.

He's average.  Jones is below average. 

8 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Adam is not below average either. By far.

Sorry I'm just reading the numbers on Fangraph for DRS

Schoop -1, 13th in majors

Jones -10, 17th in majors

By Fangraphs definition average is zero(0)

Looking at the numbers its amazing that the O's made the wild card game

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

Sorry I'm just reading the numbers on Fangraph for DRS

Schoop -1, 13th in majors

Jones -10, 17th in majors

By Fangraphs definition average is zero(0)

Looking at the numbers its amazing that the O's made the wild card game

Yea well BBRef had Schoop at .4 dWAR last year.  Average those out and bingo, average.

I'd also think long and hard before I'd call someone below average based off of -1 DRS, especially when they were 13th and there are 30 teams.

Archived