Should the O's be in on Hyoung-woo Choi?

Tony-OH

AEN20121025014100315_01_i.jpg

Hyoung-woo Choi is a 32-year old LF/DH who slashed .371/.459/.645/1.104 in the KBO last year. His career .396 OBP suggests he will be able to get on base pretty well here in the States. I'd rather go with Choi at DH than Trumbo. Choi should be able to be had for something similar to Kim (2/$7mil) and would provide some much needed OBP to the lineup. He's averaged 30 homers a year so he's not a slap hitting guy, but I could see him being similar to Kim. A Choi/Mancini platoon would be much cheaper than Trumbo and possibly more productive.

Thoughts?

I like the thinking, but if we're going to go that route I'd almost be inclined to let Mancini play everyday at DH and see what the kid can do. 

Also Byung-Ho Park (who the Twins signed last year) was a much better player in the KBO and he was terrible last year. Makes me table my excitement for Choi a bit. 

28 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I like the thinking, but if we're going to go that route I'd almost be inclined to let Mancini play everyday at DH and see what the kid can do. 

Also Byung-Ho Park (who the Twins signed last year) was a much better player in the KBO and he was terrible last year. Makes me table my excitement for Choi a bit. 

Yep, always a risk, but if they can get him at 2yr, $7 mil like Kim, I think it's worth the gamble. We need OBP. While I like Mancini a bit, I don't think he's going to be an OBP guy in the majors.

SEOUL, Nov. 24 (Yonhap) -- Free agent slugger Choi Hyoung-woo became the first baseball player to get paid 10 billion won (US$8.48 million) in South Korea.

The Kia Tigers in the Korea Baseball Organization (KBO) said Thursday they signed Choi to a four-year deal worth 10 billion won -- 6 billion won in total salary and a 4 billion won signing bonus.

This is the largest free agent contract signed in the KBO.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2016/11/24/0200000000AEN20161124010400315.html?input=msn

12 minutes ago, fearthenoodle said:

SEOUL, Nov. 24 (Yonhap) -- Free agent slugger Choi Hyoung-woo became the first baseball player to get paid 10 billion won (US$8.48 million) in South Korea.

The Kia Tigers in the Korea Baseball Organization (KBO) said Thursday they signed Choi to a four-year deal worth 10 billion won -- 6 billion won in total salary and a 4 billion won signing bonus.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2016/11/24/0200000000AEN20161124010400315.html?input=msn

So he's not available.

20 minutes ago, fearthenoodle said:

Thanks. I looked around and couldn't find anything on him. Too bad, seemed like he might have been a guy who could have come over here and had some success. Maybe he's got a slow bat. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Thanks. I looked around and couldn't find anything on him. Too bad, seemed like he might have been a guy who could have come over here and had some success. Maybe he's got a slow bat. 

There is another guy who might come over who could potentially fit and hits from the right side- 

25. Jae-gyun Hwang, UT: The 29-year-old Hwang is positioning himself as a poor-man’s Ben Zobrist, with power, speed, contact skills and flexibility. While he’s most comfortable at third base, he has played shortstop and second and is taking reps this winter in the outfield. After a .335/.394/.570 season with 27 home runs and 25 stolen bases in Korea, he’s likely to choose from a number of three-year deals.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-2016-ultimate-mlb-free-agent-tracker-001816067.html

1 hour ago, fearthenoodle said:

There is another guy who might come over who could potentially fit and hits from the right side- 

25. Jae-gyun Hwang, UT: The 29-year-old Hwang is positioning himself as a poor-man’s Ben Zobrist, with power, speed, contact skills and flexibility. While he’s most comfortable at third base, he has played shortstop and second and is taking reps this winter in the outfield. After a .335/.394/.570 season with 27 home runs and 25 stolen bases in Korea, he’s likely to choose from a number of three-year deals.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-2016-ultimate-mlb-free-agent-tracker-001816067.html

Isn't Flaherty already a poor mans Zobrist?

Archived