The Hole-RF

Bahama O's Fan

11 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

No argument there. But if it's a choice between 1 year of Bruce or 4 years for Trumbo, which would be better? Let's face it, the high OBP speedy defense guy isn't happening. If we could just swap a bad contract like Jimenez or Gallardo for a bad contract in Bruce, I think it's worth it. 

That isn't really the choice, though, is it?  Don't you need to factor Brach into that equation?  If you sign Trumbo ( or any other FA like Saunders or Pagan) you don't have to give up Brach.  Also, one must consider that signing Trumbo would mean not getting the comp pick after round 1.  The real questions are what return makes giving up Brach worthwhile and what contract with Trumbo would make losing that comp pick worthwhile.  As I've opined here, signing Saunders for a lesser annual salary than either Trumbo, Bruce, or Granderson would be paid, and keeping both the comp pick and Brach makes a lot of sense to me.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Number5 said:

That isn't really the choice, though, is it?  Don't you need to factor Brach into that equation?  If you sign Trumbo ( or any other FA like Saunders or Pagan) you don't have to give up Brach.  Also, one must consider that signing Trumbo would mean not getting the comp pick after round 1.  The real questions are what return makes giving up Brach worthwhile and what contract with Trumbo would make losing that comp pick worthwhile.  As I've opined here, signing Saunders for a lesser annual salary than either Trumbo, Bruce, or Granderson would be paid, and keeping both the comp pick and Brach makes a lot of sense to me.

Trade Brach and Ubaldo to Mets for Granderson. We get Granderson for 2M and Mets save 2 M and get good set up guy and back of rotation starter they need.

13 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I don't see any reason to do this. 

You wouldn't be committed to paying a guy $11M in 2018 and 2019 when guys like Gausman and Manny get more expensive.

Instead of the deal that Gordo has, I'd prefer a prospect with Granderson (maybe Nimmo or Lindsay) and give them more salary relief.  Then shop Ubaldo if the budget dictates it.

11 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

You wouldn't be committed to paying a guy $11M in 2018 and 2019 when guys like Gausman and Manny get more expensive.

Instead of the deal that Gordo has, I'd prefer a prospect with Granderson (maybe Nimmo or Lindsay) and give them more salary relief.  Then shop Ubaldo if the budget dictates it.

You don't think we would need to pay a right fielder in 2018 and 2019?

7 minutes ago, Number5 said:

You don't think we would need to pay a right fielder in 2018 and 2019?

We would, and I hate the fact that corner OF hasn't been addressed in a long term fashion.  Committing three years to a guy who may give you 1-2 WAR if he can stay healthy is not the best way to go, IMO.

Getting someone like Nimmo back could allow them to field RF at pre-Arb prices.

15 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

No argument there. But if it's a choice between 1 year of Bruce or 4 years for Trumbo, which would be better? Let's face it, the high OBP speedy defense guy isn't happening. If we could just swap a bad contract like Jimenez or Gallardo for a bad contract in Bruce, I think it's worth it. 

Heck yeah! If you can trade Gallardo or Ubaldo for Bruce you do it right now. Is there any indication that the Mets would do such a thing?

15 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

Is it a fact that any Nats/Os trades will absolutely not take place because of the MASN dispute?  What do you think of  young OFer Michael Taylor?  Would it take Brach to get him?  More, less, or do you think he;s nothing much?

I wouldn't view Taylor as an everyday guy.  I definitely wouldn't give up Brach for him.

Would be nice if we'd try to trade with them though.  We could match up well.

15 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Bruce is a poor fielder and has low OBP. That's not what we need in RF.

He is a defensive upgrade to Trumbo, and if you can get rid of an atrocious contract like Gallardo or Ubaldo and commit to only one year of Bruce? Yep, I do that everyday.

Roch mentions that Rasmus' agent has reached out to Baltimore, but the asking price is too high.

I wonder what they are asking for.  I imagine he'll tumble and be very cheap in 2017.  

If you can pair him with a high OBP guy, he could provide good defense and some pop at the bottom of the order.

14 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Roch mentions that Rasmus' agent has reached out to Baltimore, but the asking price is too high.

I wonder what they are asking for.  I imagine he'll tumble and be very cheap in 2017.  

If you can pair him with a high OBP guy, he could provide good defense and some pop at the bottom of the order.

Buy are there enough trucks in Maryland to make Rasmus happy?  xD  When asked why he signed with Houston, he mentioned that he really liked the trucks in the Houston area.  Yes, really.

Ugh.  No really good options.  I agree with those who say if we're going to consider giving 4/55 or even 4/60 to Trumbo, we might as well try to sign Encarnacion for 4/80 or so.  Trumbo had a career year last year, I don't expect him to repeat that for the next four years, or even just next year.  I could see him getting hurt again and only hitting 20-25 HRs with his low batting average and obp.  That would not be a good value at all.

I don't like the Granderson, Bruce, Revere, or Bourn options.  Bourn is done, Bruce is a Trumbo clone, Granderson is 35 and an expensive rental (not giving up Brach for that), and Revere can't seem to hit consistently or throw at all.

I think you see a Kim/Rickard platoon on LF, so Rickard is not an option in RF for the most part, other than as a game by game fill-in as Buck juggles the lineup.  At some point, they have to see if Mancini can play, you're not going to contend consistently without developing your own guys.

So....where does that leave us?  I'd try and find a CFer and move Jones to RF personally, but it doesn't seem like that's an option at all as far as the team is concerned.  So, Rickard/Kim in LF, Jones in CF.  I'd bring back Pedro Alvarez to split DH with Mancini, and if Mancini doesn't produce, you've still got a guy who can hit at least 20-25HR's at DH.  Alvarez shouldn't be all that expensive either.  For RF, there are several internal possibilities, though none of them knock your socks off (Dariel Alvarez, Christian Walker, etc.).  Of all the options, I guess I'd explore the Granderson trade, but if we're giving up Brach, they need to eat a ton of money, and/or include a prospect or prospects.  Brach is under control for several more years, and Granderson is a rental.

Archived