The Hole-RF

Bahama O's Fan

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You're right it would cost up about 10-15 spots in the draft.  We'd lose our 1st rd pick to sign him, but then gain a pick for Trumbo signing elsewhere.  

So signing EE over Trumbo would cost us about 3-5 million per year in salary and we'd pick 10-15 spots in the draft later.  

But we'd gain a player that's posted WAR's of 3.7,4.7, 3.6, 4.0, and 5.0 (21 total WAR) the last five seasons.  Trumbo has only posted WAR's of 1.6, 1.6, -1.1, 2.1, and 2.5(6.7 total WAR).  

But I'm using the theory of "If there's money for Trumbo, than we should be able to use that same money on someone else."  That might not be the case, and the money might be "special Trumbo money" like was thought off about the Davis money last year.  

Is there money for Trumbo or was that done for the fan's benefit, so they can say, they tried to keep him?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You're right it would cost up about 10-15 spots in the draft.  We'd lose our 1st rd pick to sign him, but then gain a pick for Trumbo signing elsewhere.  

So signing EE over Trumbo would cost us about 3-5 million per year in salary and we'd pick 10-15 spots in the draft later.  

But we'd gain a player that's posted WAR's of 3.7,4.7, 3.6, 4.0, and 5.0 (21 total WAR) the last five seasons.  Trumbo has only posted WAR's of 1.6, 1.6, -1.1, 2.1, and 2.5(6.7 total WAR).  

But I'm using the theory of "If there's money for Trumbo, than we should be able to use that same money on someone else."  That might not be the case, and the money might be "special Trumbo money" like was thought off about the Davis money last year.  

Or it would just cost a pick.  No guarantee Trumbo signs with the O's.

As for your Trumbo money idea, maybe there is some back loaded deferred money option out there for Trumbo, that doesn't mean you can just add 3M a year onto it.  That extra money is going to have to come from somewhere.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or it would just cost a pick.  No guarantee Trumbo signs with the O's.

As for your Trumbo money idea, maybe there is some back loaded deferred money option out there for Trumbo, that doesn't mean you can just add 3M a year onto it.  That extra money is going to have to come from somewhere.

Yeah it's called you jerks need to go to more games.  lol.  

For real though, if you want a chance to win the AL East, you sign EE.  That weakens a division rival and gives us a RH masher for their LH SP's.  

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah it's called you jerks need to go to more games.  lol.  

For real though, if you want a chance to win the AL East, you sign EE.  That weakens a division rival and gives us a RH masher for their LH SP's.  

Sorry but it's a bit of a drive for some of us.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sorry but it's a bit of a drive for some of us.

I'm sure you know I'm kidding.  Besides the last thing I want to do on here is start a contest of who's gone to more games.  All it's going to do is make me count up all the Ubaldo, Mike Wright, and Tyler Wilson starts that I've been to.  

18 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Granderson

Pagan

Saunders

Like your pecking order here and rationality of it.

Granderson-Plays hard. Still has 1-2 good years left, IMO.  Great person, will be a fan favorite.  Will hit beaucoup HRs in OPACY.

Pagan-Another "seasoned vet" . Switch hittter. Smart.  Probably not very expensive.

Saunders-Not great D, but has nice power.  

Obtaining any of these three would appease those who believe Duquette is just sitting on his hands.

57 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

Like your pecking order here and rationality of it.

Granderson-Plays hard. Still has 1-2 good years left, IMO.  Great person, will be a fan favorite.  Will hit beaucoup HRs in OPACY.

Pagan-Another "seasoned vet" . Switch hittter. Smart.  Probably not very expensive.

Saunders-Not great D, but has nice power.  

Obtaining any of these three would appease those who believe Duquette is just sitting on his hands.

The Orioles are sitting pretty with the market coming to them and other teams saying they're at their spending limit.

Hopefully they take advantage of it in January.

3 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

The Orioles are sitting pretty with the market coming to them and other teams saying they're at their spending limit.

Hopefully they take advantage of it in January.

This is true.  

I'm really surprised how slow December has been considering the offseason started out with a bunch of stupid money deals in November. This is the month where there is usually the most free agent signing activity and there are still a lot of guys unsigned.  I think we will see prices/demands dropping in January especially as we gets deeper into the month and guys are looking to sign with a team before Spring Training.  

Saunders is my bet if we go the free agent route.  I know Angel Pagan is popular on this board, but I think they try to get someone out there with some power to replace Trumbo.  

i would take a flyer on Desmond Jennings too.  He has struggled the past couple seasons, but his splits against lefties over his career are very good and he adds some speed and defense.  

Seems like I'm part of the consensus also,

My hope is one of two scenarios:

1. Trade Brach for Granderson and get about half of his salary covered by Mets, He would hit 35-45 hr's with our short porch in right, Therefore replacing Trumbo's production in one move.

2. Resign Michael Bourn and platoon him with Joey Rickard, sacrificing power but hopefully upgrading the D in the process. 

Any other moves that DD does in regards to this would like cause alot of second guessing by alot of us on the boards :D LOL!

Archived