Some milestones Adam Jones is likely to pass in 2017

Frobby

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

If I were a betting man, I'd bet he gets extended.    

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm glad he's on the team, but hope they don't extend him.

Unfortunately, I agree with both.  He peaked 3 years ago and is still productive, but I don't see it keeping up down the road.  If they were to offer him a two year extension now, covering 2018-20 seasons, and he agreed to move to RF, it probably wouldn't be a killer.  Anything beyond that is just crazy.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SilentJames said:

It is becoming apparent: 

Adam Jones is demonstrably the best Oriole of the Camden Yards era. 

That's a hard one to quantify.  He's up there for sure, in very rarefied air.  He's probably been one of the most consistent over the course of his career during this era out of the other contenders.  But there's so many ways to measure it:

Popularity: It's still Cal and then everybody else.

Best Single Season: Brady '96, Palmeiro '96 & 98, Tejada & Mora '04, Roberts '05, Davis '13, Machado '16.  Much as I like Adam I can't really give you any one season of his that immediately jumps to mind over everything else.  That's not a bad thing, it means he's been consistent, but he hasn't had that WOW season like these guys and others have had.

Most Impact: Again debatable but in conversation with a slew of guys.

Jones is definitely on the short list in the conversation, but I don't think it's a slam dunk, and there are other metrics that can probably be considered as well.

Just now, 25 Nuggets said:

Jones ain't catching Mussina but he'll probably finish in second in that particular stat.

Machado will probably pass him while they are still Orioles...but Jones is likely to have a chance to retake the lead. 

20 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

That's a hard one to quantify.  He's up there for sure, in very rarefied air.  He's probably been one of the most consistent over the course of his career during this era out of the other contenders.  But there's so many ways to measure it:

Popularity: It's still Cal and then everybody else.

Best Single Season: Brady '96, Palmeiro '96 & 98, Tejada & Mora '04, Roberts '05, Davis '13, Machado '16.  Much as I like Adam I can't really give you any one season of his that immediately jumps to mind over everything else.  That's not a bad thing, it means he's been consistent, but he hasn't had that WOW season like these guys and others have had.

Most Impact: Again debatable but in conversation with a slew of guys.

Jones is definitely on the short list in the conversation, but I don't think it's a slam dunk, and there are other metrics that can probably be considered as well.

Cal played half his career in Memorial Stadium and retired before the stadium celebrated its tenth birthday. Jones will play his entire career in Camden and will hold many MANY Camden Yards records. Jones has also been the public face of the team in an era of social media and connection that Cal never really had a chance to be (and given his personality, more Markakis than Jones) and probably wouldn't have been huge on. 

Maybe someone like Manny will take that mantle in the future, but there is a puncher's chance that he doesn't stay beyond FA. 

Jones is the first truly great player, and the best, Oriole of the Camden Yards era. 

18 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

Cal played half his career in Memorial Stadium and retired before the stadium celebrated its tenth birthday. Jones will play his entire career in Camden and will hold many MANY Camden Yards records. Jones has also been the public face of the team in an era of social media and connection that Cal never really had a chance to be (and given his personality, more Markakis than Jones) and probably wouldn't have been huge on. 

Maybe someone like Manny will take that mantle in the future, but there is a puncher's chance that he doesn't stay beyond FA. 

Jones is the first truly great player, and the best, Oriole of the Camden Yards era. 

I love Adam, but to me he falls short of "truly great."   To me that description goes to players who are in the Hall of Fame or at least in strong consideration for it.    Maybe you could throw in someone who was a serious MVP candidate for several years even if they wouldn't get much HOF consideration.   Adam has been very good, but not "truly great," by my definition.   

IMO, Mussina meets that definition, and if you are going to apply a lesser definition, Brady also meets it.   

1 hour ago, SilentJames said:

2131.  That moment, and more than that moment the basically year plus leading up to it, is more than anything that any Orioles current or future can hope to attain.  Longevity doesn't always equate to greatest impact and fondest memory.  Nothing against Adam, but if you ask the casual baseball fan over the age of 25 to name one memory they can call to about Camden yards, probably close to 9 times out of 10 they're going to say 2131.  Hell, the Orioles had it listed unsurprisingly as the #1 moment in the stadiums history, and for good reason.  Nothing against Adam, but I couldn't even give you a signature Adam Jones moment for the ages if my life depended on it. 

As for best, Frobby already showed it's a loaded discussion with many contenders.

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I love Adam, but to me he falls short of "truly great."   To me that description goes to players who are in the Hall of Fame or at least in strong consideration for it.    Maybe you could throw in someone who was a serious MVP candidate for several years even if they wouldn't get much HOF consideration.   Adam has been very good, but not "truly great," by my definition.   

IMO, Mussina meets that definition, and if you are going to apply a lesser definition, Brady also meets it.   

Pretty much how I look at it.  That's not even factoring in his wretched postseason track record, which small sample size or not, definitely sullies my view of his overall production and track record, mainly because it encapsulates the things I've always despised about Adam's overall game. 

I think in this case, the "intangibles" mean Jones will stay with the O's until the end of his career.  And I think that's a good thing for the franchise, so long as he moves to a corner outfield position at some point.  He's been the face of the O's resurgence and is a team leader.  Yeah, he swings at low and away sliders too often, but that's small potatoes in my book.    

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Adam passed Boog Powell on the Orioles' all time hits list yesterday, to move into fifth place.    He needs another 40 hits to pass Brady Anderson for fourth place, and has a pretty good chance of doing that by the end of this season.   It would take him another three years after this one to have a shot at passing Eddie Murray for third place.    We'll see if he gets that opportunity.   

Archived