That yearly, hypothetical, fun question...

Moose Milligan

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, weams said:

Jim was feigning modesty.

Jim undoubtedly has a high opinion of himself, but he also has a high opinion of his teammates' defensive abilities and he has a high opinion of Mussina.    And he's right on all three counts.   I hope I get to see another Orioles' pitcher who is remotely close to the two of them some day.   I think Bundy could be the guy, if his body holds up, but the odds are against it.   

3 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

Palmer without hesitation. He's exactly the top-of-the-rotation starter the Orioles need.

I'll take the seven win right fielder.  I think he'd have more impact over the course of the season.

Now if you told me Palmer was going to start 38 games and pitch 300 innings I might change my mind.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Jim undoubtedly has a high opinion of himself, but he also has a high opinion of his teammates' defensive abilities and he has a high opinion of Mussina.    And he's right on all three counts.   I hope I get to see another Orioles' pitcher who is remotely close to the two of them some day.   I think Bundy could be the guy, if his body holds up, but the odds are against it.   

Jim was doing it at 19. And for 300 inning each year after a bit of a blip. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll take the seven win right fielder.  I think he'd have more impact over the course of the season.

Now if you told me Palmer was going to start 38 games and pitch 300 innings I might change my mind.

Me too. 

27 minutes ago, weams said:

Jim was doing it at 19. And for 300 inning each year after a bit of a blip. 

Shrug.    Gaylord Perry threw 300 innings six times, Fergie Jenkins five, Wilbur Wood, Phil Niekro and Mickey Lolich four each (same as Palmer).    That's the way pitchers were used in that era.    Palmer was probably a bit better than Mussina at their respective peaks, but Mussina was good for a longer period of time.   

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Shrug.    Gaylord Perry threw 300 innings six times, Fergie Jenkins five, Wilbur Wood, Phil Niekro and Mickey Lolich four each (same as Palmer).    That's the way pitchers were used in that era.    Palmer was probably a bit better than Mussina at their respective peaks, but Mussina was good for a longer period of time.   

Aren't most of those guys Hall of Famers? And the one who aren't? They threw 60 MPH. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Lolich is not a hall of famer, nor was he a finesse pitcher.    In 1971 he threw 376 innings.   

True. My mistake. He should be though. And of course Phil is. So that is still most of them. 

Archived