That yearly, hypothetical, fun question...

Moose Milligan

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You were talking about how Bonds wanted special treatment that separated him from the team.

Cal was the same way.

I was referring to Bonds behavior in the clubhouse. Cal was not a clubhouse cancer. Buck wouldn't tolerate that kind of special treatment in the clubhouse. Can you point to such treatment for Cal in the clubhouse?

3 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I was referring to Bonds behavior in the clubhouse. Cal was not a clubhouse cancer. Buck wouldn't tolerate that kind of special treatment in the clubhouse. Can you point to such treatment for Cal in the clubhouse?

Nope, I'm not privy to what goes on in the clubhouse.

But I think it is foolish to think that Buck wouldn't take the baggage that came with Bond's bat in his prime.

He hasn't always had a collection of boy scouts to work with.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nope, I'm not privy to what goes on in the clubhouse.

But I think it is foolish to think that Buck wouldn't take the baggage that came with Bond's bat in his prime.

He hasn't always had a collection of boy scouts to work with.

I think it's foolish to think Buck would take Bonds' age 30 bat over Frank;s, given that one is a boon in the clubhouse and other other is a bust.

2 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

So Buck wouldn't want the second greatest player in baseball history on his team?  Seems pretty dumb to me.

Buck once intentionally walked Bonds with the bases loaded. I find it difficult to believe that he would not want such a player on his team. 

1 hour ago, crawjo said:

Buck once intentionally walked Bonds with the bases loaded. I find it difficult to believe that he would not want such a player on his team. 

Bonds and Frank were basically the same player at age 30, before Bonds started 'roiding. IMO Buck would prefer the guy who was a leader in the clubhouse to a diva who needed special treatment.

It's close, but give me the 1975 Cakes...8.4 WAR...higher than the 2015 Arrieta and the 2014 Kershaw....ERA+ of 169...Give me the guy that can pitch 10 shutouts, 323 innings and 25 complete games and I like our chances pretty good. 

I would really love to see Robby and Adam interact in the same outfield and on the same team...we would lead the league in fierce desire, for sure! 

Really, though I know this was not the question, give us the 1979 Ken Singleton with .928 OPS,  35 HRs, 111 RBIs and 109 BBs with over .400 OBP  and we would be in pretty good shape for 2017

9 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Bonds put up 100 WAR through the 1998 season, his age 33 season. Robinson had 88 WAR at the same point in his career. Even without the steroids, Bonds would have likely had a much better end to his career than Robinson did. I can understand wanting Robinson over Bonds for chemistry reasons, but I don't think there's any credible argument that Robinson was the equal of Bonds as a player. 

Archived