Is Dan Duquette thinking of Trumbo as an outfielder?

wildcard

It appears that if the Orioles were to rebuild the roster with the ability to pay for the highly sought after tool of OBP, they would score more runs than with the home run hitting low OBP lineups that they have had over the past five years of winning baseball.  I wonder where the cut off of getting on base vs driving runs in with doubles and home runs would reach an equilibrium. I will have to take a look at that some time and maybe revise my way of looking at productive offense. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, weams said:

Thank you. Good lesson. 

OPS is always going to have it's place, because it's a pretty decent stat (much better than OBP or SLG alone) and easy to calculate. The better stats are way harder to calculate and certainly nobody's going to memorize the formulas used to calculate them.    

19 minutes ago, weams said:

It appears that if the Orioles were to rebuild the roster with the ability to pay for the highly sought after tool of OBP, they would score more runs than with the home run hitting low OBP lineups that they have had over the past five years of winning baseball.  I wonder where the cut off of getting on base vs driving runs in with doubles and home runs would reach an equilibrium. I will have to take a look at that some time and maybe revise my way of looking at productive offense. 

No stat is perfect.    wOBA and wRC+ are very good, as is RC/27.   The O's were 5th, 6th and 5th in those three stats last year, and 7th in runs scored, mainly due to slightly below average RISP hitting.   

I find that the three ingredients of the slash line need to be scrutinized as to how the OPS is formed.

Batting Average (though considered archaic) should be measured against OBP.  If OBP is eighty points or better than BA you would have a player that uses walks to their advantage.

I also look to see if the OPS is driven by Slugging more than OBP.  A slugger tends to have a lot of K's and less balls in play that work into the next line to look at  which is BABIP. 

As stated in numerous post, no one stat is a stand alone metric without looking at the total of all the old and new stats.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Doesn't matter.   As a general proposition, OBP needs to be weighted more heavily than SLG if you want to create the measure that correlates most closely to runs scored.     

Just by way of example, Baltimore had a higher OPS and SLG than Cleveland, Seattle, Texas and Toronto, and yet all four of those teams scored more runs than we did.  All four had a higher OBP than we did.   

Also look at the months that we scored the most runs. We scored the most when our OBP was high. When our HRs were high, we sometimes scored a lot but sometimes didn't.

14 hours ago, crawjo said:

Mark Trumbo had a worse OPS+ (120) than Cruz (147), Martinez (123), Beltran (122), and Encarnacion (133). And OPS overinflates Trumbo's value because it weighs slugging and OBP equally. 

I'm talking about 2017 though.

Do I think he'll be the best DH in the AL?  No.  I think EE will take that mantle and Cruz will be there too - neither will decline at a "normal" rate.  I'm just saying that a legitimate chance is there.  It requires the players you mention to show their age more.

2 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

It seems that the A's are sniffing around Trumbo now.  Would we really get their #6 pick in the draft if they sign him or is such a high pick protected? 

No. Those are rules from six years ago. In fact. Oakland's first round pick is protected. They lose a second. The Orioles would gain a supplemental. 

1 minute ago, Black Bat said:

It seems that the A's are sniffing around Trumbo now.  Would we really get their #6 pick in the draft if they sign him or is such a high pick protected? 

No.  That's not how it works.  We'd get the pick behind the Cubs.  I'm not sure what number that is exactly, but it's high 20s.

The A's lose their second round pick because they are in the top 10.

21 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

If I were Trumbo I would sign a one year deal with COL hit 70 HR and then go FA newt season without the QO.

Is anybody really fooled about what goes on in Colorado?   I'd love to see him play a season there, though.

Archived