Opening Day 25 man roster

ChuckS

• Starters:  Tillman, Gausman, Bundy, Miley, Ubaldo
  • Relievers:  Britton, Brach, O'Day, Givens, Hart, Drake, Verrett 
  • Infielders: Machado, Hardy, Schoop, Davis, Flaherty, Mancini
  • Catchers: Castillo, Joseph
  • Outfielders: Jones, Kim, Smith, Rickard, Trumbo

That's my best stab at it.  If they want to keep Tavarez it will have to come at the expense of the bullpen or Rickard.  We could conceivably go with six relievers in April due to off days and rain outs (Verrett would be the odd man out).  I don't see how you keep Tavarez over Rickard considering we need a right handed hitter to platoon with Smith and Kim.  Some of you may advocate Mancini to Triple A but that only works if Kim is going to play everyday.  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Maybe, I'm misreading you, but Tavares hits left handed.  If you keep Mancini, you DH him, play Trumbo in right and Rickard in left.

Mancini DH's versus LHP with Trumbo in RF and Rickard or Kim in LF.  Versus RHP you have Trumbo at DH, Smith in right, and Kim in left.  

I'm aware that Tavarez hits left handed which is why he doesn't have a place on the team IMO.  Hard to imagine us keeping six outfielders.  

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Mancini DH's versus LHP with Trumbo in RF and Rickard or Kim in LF.  Versus RHP you have Trumbo at DH, Smith in right, and Kim in left.  

I'm aware that Tavarez hits left handed which is why he doesn't have a place on the team IMO.  Hard to imagine us keeping six outfielders.  

I definitely misread you and agree about Tavarez.  I am interested in keeping Salandar, so hopefully they can figure that out later this summer.

36 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

That's my best stab at it.  If they want to keep Tavarez it will have to come at the expense of the bullpen or Rickard.  We could conceivably go with six relievers in April due to off days and rain outs (Verrett would be the odd man out).  I don't see how you keep Tavarez over Rickard considering we need a right handed hitter to platoon with Smith and Kim.  Some of you may advocate Mancini to Triple A but that only works if Kim is going to play everyday.  

I agree with most of this. 

I think Tavarez will be in ST and there will be a battle for roster spots.  It doesn't have to be decided now.   ST will be interesting.

This is a better team if Rickard is leading off and playing full time.  He has to hit to make that happen. He will be pushing Kim for playing time.

The team still needs an experienced back up starter.  Wright, Wilson and Verrett have not had success as starters.  I think they need to add Worley to the 25 man roster.

Last year's team began the season with Tillman, Gausman, Gallardo, Jimenez and Wright in the rotation.  That team won 89.  The 2017 rotation is much better with Bundy and Miley.

Are they going to use Mancini's service time as a limited bench player?.  Trumbo is now likely to get the vast majority of DH at bats because either Rickard, Vasquez, Smith or a yet to be signed Pagan or Bourn is going to get most of RF starts.  I think they will be showing Mancini for trade or as an injury option whether it is in the spring if he lights it up or at Norfolk. 

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

That's too many left handed hitting outfielders who can't play everyday. Who plays in the OF and who is the DH with a lefty on the mound?

Tavarez has pretty good splits vs Lefties and Rightes.  He only needs to stay healthy and on the roster until the second week in July and he then can be optioned.

VS LH .321/ .352/ .429 /.781
.VS RH 332 ./380/ .513

/.893   

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

That's too many left handed hitting outfielders who can't play everyday. Who plays in the OF and who is the DH with a lefty on the mound?

Well, if they intend to play Kim everyday in LF and Trumbo everyday at DH, they could keep Tavarez.  Rickard would platoon with Smith in RF in that case, as things stand now.  The key would be whether Kim can hit LHP in the majors.  If he can't, it seems another RH bat, such as Mancini, would be needed and it would be really hard to justify keeping Tavarez.  Santander will most probably start the season on the DL until about June 1st or so.  He could possibly fill that spot when he returns.  I think another RH hitting OF may be acquired before the off-season is over.  We'll see.

Just now, thezeroes said:

Tavarez has pretty good splits vs Lefties and Rightes.  He only needs to stay healthy and on the roster until the second week in July and he then can be optioned.

VS LH .321/ .352/ .429 /.781
.VS RH 332 ./380/ .513

/.893   

I don't think this is correct.  He has to be on the 25 man roster all season, unless he is on the DL.

3 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Compare to last season's opening day roster:

Starters: TIllman, Gallardo,  Jimenez,  Wright, Wilson

Relievers: Brach,  Bundy, Givens,  McFarland,  O'Day,  Worley,  Britton

Infielders: Machado, Hardy, Schoop, Davis, Flaherty, Alvarez

Catchers: Weiters, Joseph

Outfielders: Rickard, Jones, Trumbo, Kim, Reimold

2 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Basically, Gausman, Bundy and Miley replace Gallardo, Wright and Wilson as starters

Hart, Drake and Verrett replace Bundy, Worley and McFarland as relievers

Mancini replaces Alvarez

Castillo replaces Weiters

Smith replaces Reimold.

I'd say Smith replaces Alvarez.  Trumbo simply slots into DH, rather than RF, vs. RHP.

If Mancini makes the big club, he would be closer to being the Reimold replacement, he would DH vs. LHP, with Trumbo sliding back out to RF.

Archived