Roch on the team's weaknesses

Frobby

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, pastorfan said:

Interesting how so many were better first half performers....wonder if any changes were made to conditioning for the off-season, or if that has anything to do with it.

I always wonder if it's because Buck runs his same lineup out there day after day after day. I understand he's got guys that want to be in the lineup everyday, but sometimes I think guys just need a break.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I always wonder if it's because Buck runs his same lineup out there day after day after day. I understand he's got guys that want to be in the lineup everyday, but sometimes I think guys just need a break.

I agree with this.   It's more of a mental thing than a physical one, I think.  

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This a thousand times. It's been a problem throughout the Showalter era, I think. Machado, Jones, and Schoop in particular all seem to get run into the ground as the season goes on. 

50 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yes, I think this is a great point.

1 hour ago, crawjo said:

This a thousand times. It's been a problem throughout the Showalter era, I think. Machado, Jones, and Schoop in particular all seem to get run into the ground as the season goes on. 

And yet, Buck's Orioles teams are 117-86 in September and October, a 93-win pace.    They've been over .500 in September/October every year Buck's been here, except for 2013 when they were exactly .500.     Part of that success is Buck's mastery of using his expanded bullpen and bench that time of year, but it's kind of hard to say that Buck has hurt our late-season performance by the way he uses his players.    

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And yet, Buck's Orioles teams are 117-86 in September and October, a 93-win pace.    They've been over .500 in September/October every year Buck's been here, except for 2013 when they were exactly .500.     Part of that success is Buck's mastery of using his expanded bullpen and bench that time of year, but it's kind of hard to say that Buck has hurt our late-season performance by the way he uses his players.    

Would the fatigue from playing pretty much everyday show up more in September/October or in August when it is sweltering hot out?

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would the fatigue from playing pretty much everyday show up more in September/October or in August when it is sweltering hot out?

It's a good question.   I'm actually a supporter of getting our regulars more rest (especially in the hot weather), I just find it interesting that the team has been very good down the stretch despite Buck's tactic of playing his regulars heavily all season long.

We did have a rough July/August last season, and the good September was driven by the pitching.

Just now, Frobby said:

It's a good question.   I'm actually a supporter of getting our regulars more rest (especially in the hot weather), I just find it interesting that the team has been very good down the stretch despite Buck's tactic of playing his regulars heavily all season long.

We did have a rough July/August last season, and the good September was driven by the pitching.

I think everyone other than Buck is in favor of getting the regulars more rest.

Some of that is lack of consistency from the starting pitchers I would think.  It has a trickle down effect on the effectiveness of the bullpen.  Anyone got splits on that?

As for the hitters, I blame a lack of confidence in the bench.  This team uses the bench for projects and the defensive Swiss army knife that is Ryan Flaherty.  There is not a professional hitter on the bench and that pushes the regulars out there more often.  Really wanted Sean Rodriguez this off season.

For me, more regular rest wouldn't be primarily about performing better in September. I think it can have an impact during earlier parts of the season as well, particularly if a guy is in a slump. A day off here and there is a good thing, in my opinion. 

Archived