Dan's not done. Wants to add pitcher & speedy outfielder

wildcard

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Smith is average but a big step up from Trumbo.   Dan seems to have one more OF move up his sleeve, and if he acquires a good defender I'll say he lived up to his words, even if the OF still looks merely average or a little below overall.     We were worst in the majors out there in 2016, so a move to average or slightly below is still significant.    And I do expect Rickard to do better this year, if he makes the team.   

I think what is abundantly clear is that he does not care to necessarily be a man of his word, only produce a winning ball club at what he feels is a strong fiscal disadvantage for the AL East. 

57 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Not sure. I don't recall Dan talking about it as a certainty.

I don't either.    Last year we faced a LH starter 46 times.    Call it an even 50 now that Boston has added another lefty.   As the team is presently configured, Trumbo probably plays the OF in most of those, though probably not all of them.   I think how many depends on who else we sign between now and OD.    And that will be important in evaluating how much we've upgraded the defense.   Don't forget we had Reimold out there for 552 innings last year, including 8 games (4 starts) in CF and 38 games as a "defensive replacement," even though he's a mediocre defender himself.   That's why the identity of the remaining OF is important, as well as seeing some improvement from Rickard if he's on the big club.

Innings in the OF last year:

Jones 1300

Trumbo 791

Kim 665

Rickard 593

Reimold 552

Bourn 123

Pearce 84

Stubbs 74

Flaherty 43

Borbon 37

D. Alvarez 10

Smith played 730 innings for Seattle last year.    Interestingly, he  played a complete game in only 39 of 91 starts.    Probably, some of the games from which he was removed were when he was lifted for a pinch hitter against a LH reliever, but I'd assume he also was lifted for a defensive replacement many times.    We shouldn't be under any illusion that he's a great defender out there.    He's just a step up from Trumbo.     

Let's all pray, sacrifice inanimate objects, etc. that Bundy and Gausman have great years. The defense and offense are unlikely to improve by much and the bullpen can't get any better. The fate of the season relies on rotation improvement. 

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I

Smith played 730 innings for Seattle last year.    Interestingly, he  played a complete game in only 39 of 91 starts.    Probably, some of the games from which he was removed were when he was lifted for a pinch hitter against a LH reliever, but I'd assume he also was lifted for a defensive replacement many times.    We shouldn't be under any illusion that he's a great defender out there.    He's just a step up from Trumbo.     

According to his game logs

He had 23 Games Finished

50 Games Stated a with 9 or more innings in the field

16 games entered as a pinch hitter w/9 as a strictly a PH and no field play.

Most of his non-finished games, he was pinch hit for in platoon situations.

I do not think he was deemed a defensively liability by Seattle bu more of an offensive liability when confronted with a poor match up late in games.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=smithse01&t=b&year=2016

I do think a trade is possible at this point. Kim would be the most likely to go if that happened. I don't think there's anyway to square the claim that the Orioles are serious about outfield defense while also having Kim, Smith, Trumbo and Mancini on the roster. Something has to give. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Innings in the OF last year:

Jones 1300

Trumbo 791

Kim 665

Rickard 593

Reimold 552

Bourn 123

Pearce 84

Stubbs 74

Flaherty 43

Borbon 37

D. Alvarez 10

In fact, Trumbo has a much better arm. 

Archived