Tillman is Back

backwardsk

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hit 91, mostly high 80's.

Not too off the norm then.  Looking forward to hearing more post game, though of course most important is how he feels physically following the game.  Either way it looks like he's going to need a few more starts before he's ready for Baltimore [knock on wood].

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That's surprisingly few pitches for a game where he's allowed 8 hits and a walk. Maybe he's grooving them a little bit.  

o

Even more so, he only threw 40 pitches in the first 3 innings ....... the innings in which he gave up all 6 runs (4 earned, 2 unearned.)

He did not allow any runs in the 24-pitch 4th inning, the inning in which he threw more pitches than any of the other 4

o

Puts him at 11.1 IP. Here's what the other SP' had in ST:

Bundy 17.0

Ubaldo 16.2

Gausman 13.2

Miley 13.0

Does he need one more rehab start?  Should we waste innings of that shoulder in the minors?  This is basically his ST. I don't care too much about results. I'd rather call him up and get all the MLB innings I can out of him before that shoulder could get more injured. 

26 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Not too off the norm then.  Looking forward to hearing more post game, though of course most important is how he feels physically following the game.  Either way it looks like he's going to need a few more starts before he's ready for Baltimore [knock on wood].

I would not assume they'll have him continue rehabbing.    We'll see.   

I think he has to continue rehabbing.  He has until May16th.   I don't see the O's sending down Aquino or Asher until Tillman is ready to pitch in the majors.    That means Rickard is up only until Britton returns.   That is my guess.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-bs-sp-orioles-20170427-story.html

Tillman was expected to need one more rehab start before returning from the DL, but he’s now reached the five-inning, 70-pitch threshold. He’s scheduled to have a workday on Sunday, and after that he said the club should decide whether Tillman is ready for major league competition.

Asked whether he believed he was ready to return, Tillman nodded his head and said, “I feel good, especially later. I felt better as I went.”

IMO Tillman should throw 90 pitches in his next outing in Bowie on May 2nd    Once he is on the major league roster he can't be taken off.  He has no options.   He can stay  a month on rehab if needed.  That is May 16th.   I'd see how he does in Bowie before making the decision to activate him.

I think Aquino gives the O's a better chance to win on May 2nd  than Tillman at this point

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

IMO Tillman should throw 90 pitches in his next outing in Bowie on May 2nd    Once he is on the major league roster he can't be taken off.  He has no options.   He can stay  a month on rehab if needed.  That is March 16th.   I'd see how he does in Bowie before making the decision to activate him.

I think Aquino gives the O's a better chance to win on May 2nd  than Tillman at this point

100% agree.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

IMO Tillman should throw 90 pitches in his next outing in Bowie on May 2nd    Once he is on the major league roster he can't be taken off.  He has no options.   He can stay  a month on rehab if needed.  That is March 16th.   I'd see how he does in Bowie before making the decision to activate him.

You're right. Pitchers can be on rehab assignments up to 30 days. Only 20 days for position players. 

This is Tillman's ST. He really doesn't need to post numbers to get called up. He needs to be healthy, have his mechanics sound, and have good velocity. 

If he goes 6 IP in his next start that would tie Bundy for the most IP by a SP in ST for us. 

Bowie has a home game at 11:05 am next Tuesday. That'll probably be his next and last rehab start. 

Roch from today's blog:

"So it comes down to how much emphasis the Orioles are placing on his results during his rehab assignment."

I don't agree.   It comes down to Tillman has had  trouble in the first inning for years.  Yesterday he wasn't as sharp early and got better in his last inning.   Can he afford to do that vs Boston? Or would he be better with one more rehab start and then coming back 5 days later vs the White Sox?

I look at this way:  It couldn't hurt to give him one more rehab start. 

It could hurt to throw in the rotation when he's not ready.    

We've seen Tillman be effective at 88-91 but we've also seen him get hit around plenty at those speeds too. His command needs to be perfect and his secondaries need to be working if that's the type of fastball he's carrying.  Feel much better when he's 90-94.  

I have a feeling/inkling that his shoulder is not right and he's never going to be ready.  Not this year anyway. I guess that's the pessimist in me though.  Or the fact that shoulder problems typically lead to more shoulder problems.

Archived