Tillman is Back

backwardsk

Somebody needs to tell Tillman Ubaldo lost his job with numbers like this

Tillman now has an ERA over 8.00, and a WHIP over 2.000.

If he tells me after another dud outing there was positive in the outing I may puke.

At least Miley tells me I sucked it up out there.

With numbers like that just stick Mike Wright out there.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, JohnD said:

He is nearly unusable right now.  Going forward there is no way you even think about trying to re-sign him next year.  Even dirt cheap, the rate it's going is toxic to me.

I put him and JJ in the same group of not wanting them back at any price.

20 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

He pitched ok today.  Only one ER through 5 IP.  The 4 ER in the 6th were inflated by a defensive breakdown on the sacrifice attempt and Jimmy Yacobonis' horrible job in relief.   

12 base runners in 5.1. That is not good at all.

6 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

PITCHES BY INNING

14 ll.(91 llStrikesll l.Balls)

30 l.l(22 llStrikes, ll 8 l.Balls)

24 l.l(16 llStrikes, lll 8 l.Balls)

16 l.l(12 llStrikes, lll 4 ..Balls)

71 l.l(61 l.Strikes, lll 1 lllBalls)

14 llll(10 llStrikes, lll 4 ..Balls) ) *

* ) Tillman recorded 1 out before departing in the 6th inning.

o

52 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

He pitched OK todayOnly one ER through 5 IP. The 4 ER in the 6th were inflated by a defensive breakdown on the sacrifice attempt, and Jimmy Yacobonis' horrible job in relief.  

31 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

12 base runners in 5.33 IP. That is not good at all.

o

The only real positive that I take from Tillman's game today was the fact that he found a way to scatter all of those baserunners that he allowed for the first 5 innings, with only the solo home run crossing the plate.

Compared to his previous 2 starts, he has gone from absolutely awful to pretty bad, but perhaps crafty and resourceful. 

Also, I like the fact that he had a 7-pitch, 1-2-3 inning in the 5th inning after throwing 84 pitches in the first 4.

o

8 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

"Tillman is back", said the post headline. My response? NO, HE'S NOT.

o

We know Roy, as you've previously said as much several times in this thread. 

No, the Tillman that we had hoped and expected to see is not back. But he is back on the 25-man roster and pitching, which was the reason/premise for the thread's title change when he came off of the DL last month. If you'd like, you can ask the mods to change the thread title again.

o

Tillman needs to just go on the DL and come back in August/Sept.  He would be the best thing for the team and for his upcoming FA status.  Right now he's challenging Matusz for the worst season ever by a SP in baseball history.  

Matusz 2011- 12 GS, 10.69 ERA, 49.2 IP, 14.9 H/9, 18 HR, 2.114 WHIP, 38/24 K/BB

Tillman 2017-  8 GS,   8.07 ERA, 35.2 IP, 14.1 H/9,   8 HR,  2.103 WHIP, 26/19 k/BB

Tillman 2017 MILB- 4 GS, 7.16 ERA, 16.1 IP, 11 H/9, 1.469 WHIP, 14/4 K/BB

Both are at 12 GS.  Tillman had 4 in the MILB.  You could make a case that his season is worse that Matusz's 2011.  Matusz was saved by the season ending.  What's going to save Tillman????

I feel bad for the guy.  I think he literally left it all on the field for the WC game.  Remember the controversy of the team being mad at him for not coming to rehab enough in Baltimore over the winter?  Put the dude on the DL.  Let him come back at the end of the year and maybe you resign him to a 1 year prove it deal next year.  

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Tillman needs to just go on the DL and come back in August/Sept.  He would be the best thing for the team and for his upcoming FA status.  Right now he's challenging Matusz for the worst season ever by a SP in baseball history.  

Matusz 2011- 12 GS, 10.69 ERA, 49.2 IP, 14.9 H/9, 18 HR, 2.114 WHIP, 38/24 K/BB

Tillman 2017-  8 GS,   8.07 ERA, 35.2 IP, 14.1 H/9,   8 HR,  2.103 WHIP, 26/19 k/BB

Tillman 2017 MILB- 4 GS, 7.16 ERA, 16.1 IP, 11 H/9, 1.469 WHIP, 14/4 K/BB

Both are at 12 GS.  Tillman had 4 in the MILB.  You could make a case that his season is worse that Matusz's 2011.  Matusz was saved by the season ending.  What's going to save Tillman????

I feel bad for the guy.  I think he literally left it all on the field for the WC game.  Remember the controversy of the team being mad at him for not coming to rehab enough in Baltimore over the winter?  Put the dude on the DL.  Let him come back at the end of the year and maybe you resign him to a 1 year prove it deal next year.  

I think he would have been on the DL of it were not a contract year. I agree, he is hurting his value more than just going on the DL for a period and trying to come back a little stronger. 

Unless Tillman can do a 100% turn around in the 2nd half he's already ruined any contract for next year. NOBODY is going to take a chance with big $$ on him now,

I think the DL idea might be the best idea right now and then try and see if he can finish better the last one or two months of the season. This digging a hole deeper is just plain STUPID for him and the O's.

The biggest issue I have is DD and the O's knew last December they had a problem here with Tillman's right shoulder, and NEVER ADDRESSED IT. Like DD said in Roch's column they expected the Gausman and Tillman would pitch at MLB levels they had attained before. HOW THE HECK could they expect that from Tillman when they dang well knew he was broken last December??

That's on DD no other excuse hoping for miracle cure for Tillman's ailing right shoulder in December was just asking to be kicked in the butt and that's exactly what the O's got. >:(

29 minutes ago, TouchemAll said:

HOW THE HECK could they expect that from Tillman when they dang well knew he was broken last December??

That's on DD no other excuse hoping for miracle cure for Tillman's ailing right shoulder in December was just asking to be kicked in the butt and that's exactly what the O's got. >:(

As thorough as we are we knew exactly what was wrong with Tillman's shoulder.  Seems to me that Tillman pitched hurt a lot last season, needs shoulder surgery, probably wanted some type of extension from the club since he had pitched hurt for them.  Since they didn't give him an extension, he didn't come to the rehabs or get surgery.  

From Tillman's perspective,

He pitched hurt for a long time.  Jeopardized his FA earnings when he could have elected to have surgery like last June or something.  Instead he pitched through it.  He probably expected some type of good faith 3/30 extension that would allow him to have the surgery last offseason and miss all this year.  

I don't think we should be bashing Tillman so much.  Just an injury, but he should just go on the DL.  

First of all, for various reasons I haven't seen Tillman's last 3-4 outings.   So, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.   

I do see some signs of hope for Tillman.    First of all, he got his fastball up to 94 mph for the second consecutive start.    Second, he threw 75/105 for strikes, the best ratio he's had in a while.    Third, he induced 16 whiffs, which is a good total.     

So, I'm not saying I'm flipping cartwheels, but I am saying that I'd continue to send him out there and hope he can put something together.     

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

First of all, for various reasons I haven't seen Tillman's last 3-4 outings.   So, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.   

I do see some signs of hope for Tillman.    First of all, he got his fastball up to 94 mph for the second consecutive start.    Second, he threw 75/105 for strikes, the best ratio he's had in a while.    Third, he induced 16 whiffs, which is a good total.     

So, I'm not saying I'm flipping cartwheels, but I am saying that I'd continue to send him out there and hope he can put something together.     

Yeah.  Maybe he's getting there.  But the CWS are terrible a team.  

Ks/9 is a fairly useless stat, Ks/PA is what matters. If Tillman gets some Ks because he eventually faces guys who belong in the minors, it's not a positive. Give up 5 hits and strike out the 8/9 of a team like the cws is worthless. Tillman faces 9 batters in an inning, strikes out 1, and some like his K rate. ? 

Archived