Heyman gives the O's an A- for the off season

wildcard

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Can't give this off season an A without a Machado extension.  Letting him walk with no real compensation after 2018 is a non-starter.  We're in between again.  We haven't extend him.  And, if we wait til after this season's trade deadline, his value goes down substantially due to the lack of control an acquiring team receives.  Not to mention that his value would have been higher if we'd been playing him at shortstop instead of 3rd.

We have a month yet. :)

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

The payroll keeps going up, up, up and the talent level is still the same, same, same.  That's a C in my book.

I don't think that is a fair way to look at it.  The payroll of baseball in general is going up and up.  So you have to increase payroll just to stay even with the field.  That is about where we are at we have stayed even in terms of payroll compared to the league and have stayed about even in talent level.

I would give them a B for the off season and if they would have added Pagen instead of Bourn would have given them an A.  I think the addition of two young arms in Ynoa and Verrett are being missed by many people when evaluating.  Both are young guys that were as good as many of the old guys in decline that signed for much higher contracts.

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

I think the addition of two young arms in Ynoa and Verrett are being missed by many people when evaluating.  Both are young guys that were as good as many of the old guys in decline that signed for much higher contracts.

If either of them proves out, then I'll probably revise my grade.   Neither has done anything noteworthy in the majors as of yet, and there are reasons to have doubts that they will (i.e., the Mets gave them up for virtually nothing).   But I'm glad to have them in our system just in case one pans out.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The payroll keeps going up, up, up and the talent level is still the same, same, same.  That's a C in my book.

Even if revenues keep going up, up, up?  I mean, the cost of everything in all lines of work are going up, up, up.  And there's no way the Angelos clan isn't hording dollars like Old Man Potter.

Something else from the article... Heyman gave Toronto the worst grade out of anyone, a D.

Also from the "Around the Majors" section there is this gem from our GM:

The Orioles and Royals are once again rated as somewhat stinky by the PECOTA projections, which have been wrong a lot about those two teams. “They’re consistent,” Duquette remarked, drolly.

:P

6 hours ago, crissfan172 said:

I think the Orioles got some pretty good grades in 2013-2014 offseason after they added Cruz and Jimenez before ST. 

A- seems a little generous for this offseason, though. I do think the team is better today than a year ago, but I think Gausman, Bundy, and Miley are going to have a bigger impact in improving the team's record than having Smith instead of Alvarez. I think B seems like a fair grade. 

You thought the Jimenez signing was a good move?

We may have to dig up the post-Jimenez signing thread. I know there were more than a few folks who liked the move, given what he'd done in 2013.

If I remember correctly a lot of folks were just excited they went four years with a free agent pitcher.

I was not one of them.

Archived