Pedro back. (Will he opt out?)

oriolesacox

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O's are 10th in runs scored.  I can't see the O's letting Penro go.  There are several options.

They could DFA Kim and then try to trade him to make room on the roster for Pedro.  That will put some pressure on DD to get value back for Kim.

They could option Rickard for a while to give them time to trade Kim.  I think Buck sees Rickard as more valuable to the team than Kim and Rickard's stay  in Norfolk would be brief.

Pedro would get playing time at DH vs RHP.   Trumbo would move to right vs RHP.    Smith would move to the bench and see less playing time.

The trade off on playing time would be between Pedro and Smith.  Trumbo plays everyday between RF and DH.

I am intrigued by Rosa.  Being right-handed  he can backup 3B, CF and RF.    He is hitting well at AA.  He is 27 and has some good experience.  He would offer more versatility than Janish.   Manny would backup SS.  Rosa can play all outfield and infield positions as a backup and offer a bat.  He currently has a 840 OPS at AA.  If Rickard goes to AAA then Rosa would play RF vs lefties.    Rosa is hitting for a 977 OPS vs lefties.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

O's are 10th in runs scored.  I can't see the O's letting Penro go.  There are several options.

They could DFA Kim and then try to trade him to make room on the roster for Pedro.  That will put some pressure on DD to get value back for Kim.

They could option Rickard for a while to give them time to trade Kim.  I think Buck sees Rickard as more valuable to the team than Kim and Rickard's stay  in Norfolk would be brief.

Pedro would get playing time at DH vs RHP.   Trumbo would move to right vs RHP.    Smith would move to the bench and see less playing time.

The trade off on playing time would be between Pedro and Smith.  Trumbo plays everyday between RF and DH.

I am intrigued by Rosa.  Being right-handed  he can backup 3B, CF and RF.    He is hitting well at AA.  He is 27 and has some good experience.  He would offer more versatility than Janish.   Manny would backup SS.  Rosa can play all outfield and infield positions as a backup and offer a bat.  He currently has a 840 OPS at AA.  If Rickard goes to AAA then Rosa would play RF vs lefties.    Rosa is hitting for a 977 OPS vs lefties.

I agree. I think we send down Rickard or somebody of that ilk. We need some offense. We haven't been hitting the ball well. Who knows, Pedro might be able to give us a spark. 9 homers and 27 rbi's in 1 month is a lot to throw away.

I like Pedro, but I think his fate was close to sealed when we resigned Trumbo and Mancini started playing well this year. We can't option Rickard because he is your backup CF and there's no way we go into a game with just Jones, especially since he has been dinged.

The only way Pedro makes it here tonight is a Kim DFA. Kim is no treat defensively, but that's the one move that could somehow make our corner OF defense weaker. The argument of course is that we aren't using Kim anyway...

I guess it's also possible that we could try to foolishly go back down to 6 relievers for a time. Which I think most agree would be a horrific idea.

A Kim DFA is the only real option here. Not my preference for the sole reason that he may be able to get on base once in a while if he could see the field, but it could happen. Thinking more about it, I bet it does...

Kim has 2.8m left on his contract.  The O's are unlikely to eat that.   Dan is probably looking for a trade.  If other GM think he is in a box they will just wait to see if the O's release KIm.   Optioning Rickard for 10 days may be enough to allow Dan to trade Kim.

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Kim has 2.8m left on his contract.  The O's are unlikely to eat that.   Dan is probably looking for a trade.  If other GM think he is in a box they will just wait to see if the O's release KIm.   Optioning Rickard for 10 days may be enough to allow Dan to trade Kim.

So outfielders would be  Alvarez,Kim,Smith, Mancini,Trumbo and a returning banged up Jones. Not a very good defensive outfield.

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

So outfielders would be  Alvarez,Kim,Smith, Mancini,Trumbo and a returning banged up Jones. Not a very good defensive outfield.

For 10 days.  Then bring Rickard back after Kim is traded.

Just now, wildcard said:

For 10 days.  Let bring Rickard back after Kim is traded.

You mean after Dan sells the competitive balance pick?

I love how excited folks get over a hot streak in the minors.  Don't bother looking at the career numbers that prevented him from getting a ML job, just focus on what he's been doing at Norfolk the last couple of weeks. 

I know I can't wait to see Smith in center field after Jones gets banged up from running into a wall or fouling a ball off his leg.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I love how excited folks get over a hot streak in the minors.  Don't bother looking at the career numbers that prevented him from getting a ML job, just focus on what he's been doing at Norfolk the last couple of weeks. 

I know I can't wait to see Smith in center field after Jones gets banged up from running into a wall or fouling a ball off his leg.

But bringing Pedro back would give the Orioles another speed threat.

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are acting like he was a poor hitter his career and just is hot down in AAA that people are looking at.  He has an OPS over .800 against right hand pitchers.  He didn't get a job because he doesn't play any positions and is just a full time DH.  The bat plays in the majors but that is it.  Chris Carter who was a very big bat last year had trouble finding a place in the off season and he hit 40 homers last year.  I would not be suprised if Kim is moved to bring him up.  Pedro is a home run threat off the bench which is what you want late in the game not a guy that can work a count and get on base.  If they are pinch hitting it is going to be for either Joseph or Hardy.

2 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

You are acting like he was a poor hitter his career and just is hot down in AAA that people are looking at.  He has an OPS over .800 against right hand pitchers.  He didn't get a job because he doesn't play any positions and is just a full time DH.  The bat plays in the majors but that is it.  Chris Carter who was a very big bat last year had trouble finding a place in the off season and he hit 40 homers last year.  I would not be suprised if Kim is moved to bring him up.  Pedro is a home run threat off the bench which is what you want late in the game not a guy that can work a count and get on base.  If they are pinch hitting it is going to be for either Joseph or Hardy.

No, I am acting like someone that knows he couldn't get a ML job in the offseason and who didn't get a job in 2016 until spring training started.  His skill set isn't much in demand in this age of expanded bullpens and short benches.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, I am acting like someone that knows he couldn't get a ML job in the offseason and who didn't get a job in 2016 until spring training started.  His skill set isn't much in demand in this age of expanded bullpens and short benches.

But at the same time weren't you one of the people that said we should have him at DH and not give Trumbo money?  I may be wrong.  

Archived