Joey Rickard

weams

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

You are putting far too much emphasis on Jackson’s spring training stats.  He’s a career .759 hitter as a minor leaguer.    His team didn’t think enough of him to protect him, and we ultimately decided not to keep him.   I think he may be able to carve out a decent major league career due to his versatility, but I don’t expect him to be a good major league hitter.    

I know. But it was disheartening to me to see him get dumped. I dont expect Mullins to be a good major league hitter, but he did bat .313 at Bowie...

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s amazing how Rickard has a great spring almost every year and people conclude he’s a different player.    Then the lights come on and he’s the same guy as always.   

Even in Spring Training, he swings the bat the same, sloppy way. Most of the ST hits I saw from him were fortunate to fall in. He doesn't drive the ball.

5 minutes ago, Natty said:

Who do you send down? 

May be that there is an injury to one of the five OF currently on the roster.  I'm not sending anyone down at this point.  If Mullins is still hitting under .200 in mid-May I would send him down.  Rickard can play center.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Too soon to say.   One thing’s for sure, Stewart can’t play CF.

Can't play is a sliding scale.

Would Stewart be worse in Center than a Trumbo or a Mancini would be in the CO?  Would he be worse than Reimold who Buck used in center on occasion?

I certainly don't want him in center but I don't think he'd be a complete disaster for four innings or so.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You are putting far too much emphasis on Jackson’s spring training stats.  He’s a career .759 hitter as a minor leaguer.    His team didn’t think enough of him to protect him, and we ultimately decided not to keep him.   I think he may be able to carve out a decent major league career due to his versatility, but I don’t expect him to be a good major league hitter.    

.759 at SS is not horrible.

Dodgers have a lot of in-house talent. Plus, they are willing and able to spend whatever it takes to improve the MLB roster. That Jackson was not protected by L.A. is hardly damning evidence that he will fail to be a good major league hitter. 

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

.759 at SS is not horrible.

Dodgers have a lot of in-house talent. Plus, they are willing and able to spend whatever it takes to improve the MLB roster. That Jackson was not protected by L.A. is hardly damning evidence that he will fail to be a good major league hitter. 

Hitting .250 as a 24 year old in Double A while striking out in 25 percent of his at bats is evidence for me that he will fail to be a good major league hitter, in all likelihood.  I'd have been a lot more bullish on him if he was a couple years younger.  

His swing looked long to me in the few at bats I saw him.   IF Rylan Bannon in Bowie is a better big league prospect IMO with some similar hit tool concerns.  If we already have one of those being groomed in the minors I don't see the point of having a second that we have to hide on the major league roster all year.  I get that Jackson can play some SS, but I think there were some questions about how his glove played there anyway.  

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

That struck me as funny.  On page 21 of the Joey Rickard thread you just stated that is not noteworthy.   He may not be a great major leaguer but on the OH apparently he is noteworthy.

Rickard is worthy of note any day that he is on the Orioles' 25-man...to a few Orioles' fans. In the larger scheme of MLB baseball, Rickard is overlooked.

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

I am more concerned with the percentage that one or more of the hopefuls reaches or exceeds their ceiling.  Exceeding Rickard is necessary, but also not really noteworthy.

"Exceeding Rickard" is not going to be the subject of a future 30for30. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Hitting .250 as a 24 year old in Double A while striking out in 25 percent of his at bats is evidence for me that he will fail to be a good major league hitter, in all likelihood.  I'd have been a lot more bullish on him if he was a couple years younger.  

His swing looked long to me in the few at bats I saw him.   IF Rylan Bannon in Bowie is a better big league prospect IMO with some similar hit tool concerns.  If we already have one of those being groomed in the minors I don't see the point of having a second that we have to hide on the major league roster all year.  I get that Jackson can play some SS, but I think there were some questions about how his glove played there anyway.  

I never suggested otherwise.

53 minutes ago, Natty said:

No one in the minors to bring up. Stewart is leading Norfolk in batting .258, Mountcastle batting .250. Diaz is batting .258 at Bowie.

Why are you citing only batting averages with no other context? How about some OPSes? How about walk/strikeout rate? Reciting minor league batting averages tells us very little about how well these guys are actually performing. There are plenty of stats that give us a better picture.

For instance, Diaz's .258 average comes with a .361 OBP and .877 OPS. He's been hitting quite well. (Not that I think he's ready to get called up.)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Why are you citing only batting averages with no other context? How about some OPSes? How about walk/strikeout rate? Reciting minor league batting averages tells us very little about how well these guys are actually performing. There are plenty of stats that give us a better picture.

For instance, Diaz's .258 average comes with a .361 OBP and .877 OPS. He's been hitting quite well. (Not that I think he's ready to get called up.)

And I would add that most have not accumulated 50 PA's yet.  SSS

Slash Line for Norfolk thru 10 games.197.269.307.576

Edited by thezeroes
slash

47 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can't play is a sliding scale.

Would Stewart be worse in Center than a Trumbo or a Mancini would be in the CO?  Would he be worse than Reimold who Buck used in center on occasion?

I certainly don't want him in center but I don't think he'd be a complete disaster for four innings or so.

Just so long as nobody hit a ball in the gap in those four innings.