Player Report: Brett Lawrie

brettmexico.jpg

Brett Lawrie rivals the best hitters among the HS ranks. The Canadian star can flat-out rake! At 6'-200, Lawrie is athletic and has above average speed, but because of defensive shortcomings and an average arm, scouts worry about his pro position. He has played SS, but will not play there as a pro. Third base is one possibilty, while some have suggested catcher. I think he's destined for LF.

From BA-- "One scout compared him to Marlins slugger Dan Uggla for his strength, power and muscular, mature build, and several scouts have graded Lawrie's power as above-average if not 70 on the 20-80 scale. He's not just strong but also has a keen eye, offensive instincts, aggressiveness and quick wrists that drive the bat through the hitting zone. On a spring trip with his Canadian travel teams (Langley, B.C., Blaze and the Canadian junior national team), Lawrie went 21-for-30 against extended spring training and college teams, including 14 extra-base hits. He hit doubles off Kyle Davies and Luke Hochevar in a game against the Royals' extended spring team."

That's impressive folks. Hitters like him are worth getting. I hope he somehow falls to #50... but it's unlikely.

brettmexico.jpg

Brett Lawrie rivals the best hitter among the HS ranks. The Canadian star can flat-out rake! At 6'-200, Lawrie is athletic and has above average speed, but because of defensive shortcomings and an average arm, scouts worry about his pro position. He has played SS, but will not play there as a pro. Third base is one possibilty, while some have suggested catcher. I think he's destined for LF.

From BA-- "One scout compared him to Marlins slugger Dan Uggla for his strength, power and muscular, mature build, and several scouts have graded Lawrie's power as above-average if not 70 on the 20-80 scale. He's not just strong but also has a keen eye, offensive instincts, aggressiveness and quick wrists that drive the bat through the hitting zone. On a spring trip with his Canadian travel teams (Langley, B.C., Blaze and the Canadian junior national team), Lawrie went 21-for-30 against extended spring training and college teams, including 14 extra-base hits. He hit doubles off Kyle Davies and Luke Hochevar in a game against the Royals' extended spring team."

That's impressive folks. Hitters like him are worth getting. I hope he somehow falls to #50... but it's unlikely.

Great report as always! I like what I am reading about this kid. Is he a def first rounder you think?

Great report as always! I like what I am reading about this kid. Is he a def first rounder you think?

This is a hard year to say someone def. slots in a certain round. Once you get outside the top 15 players or so, you can't really say "they're sure thing 1st rounders". Many of them could go pretty early in the 1st round or fall into the supplemental round or a little later. Lawrie would qualify as one of those players who could go anywhere.

That being said, Lawrie is one of those HSers who has really taken off and he's much more likely to go in the 1st round than not, IMO (and many "expert's" opinions, too).

This is a hard year to say someone def. slots in a certain round. Once you get outside the top 15 players or so, you can't really say "they're sure thing 1st rounders". Many of them could go pretty early in the 1st round or fall into the supplemental round or a little later. Lawrie would qualify as one of those players who could go anywhere.

That being said, Lawrie is one of those HSers who has really taken off and he's much more likely to go in the 1st round than not, IMO (and many "expert's" opinions, too).

These types of players end up going much higher than they should. My guess is he doesn't make past the 20th overall pick. As we say in the "biz", he's creating a buzz at the right time.

I think he's going to end up an overdraft. As Greg points out, he has no real pro position (and I think he's right, LF may be where he ends up) and he was not exactly "wowing" in his wood bat play.

Was his 21 for 30 with 14 xbh against the extended spring squads not wood? I am asking, as I fully expected it was wood, but perhaps you are referring to some other example?

Was his 21 for 30 with 14 xbh against the extended spring squads not wood? I am asking, as I fully expected it was wood, but perhaps you are referring to some other example?

I was referring to last summer. I'd assume the extended spring squads were wood but I am not sure.

That's cool, but that highly impressive stint sorta dispells the notion that he doesn't 'wow' with wood bats, in my view at least.

Shrug. 30 ABs. You could be right, but I think he is an overdraft in the 1st round and his swing is still a little "holey" for my taste.

I think he's going to end up an overdraft. As Greg points out, he has no real pro position (and I think he's right, LF may be where he ends up) and he was not exactly "wowing" in his wood bat play.

Totally agree, then he will toil in the minors for a few years while we forget about him, and then he turns out to be the next Uggla, and we see what he has turned into this season.

BA today came out with their latest Draft-Tracker...

Check out Lawrie's report...

"Lawrie's legend continues to grow as he tours with Canada's junior national team; he hit five home runs in a doubleheader against the Mariners' extended-spring team in the Dominican Republic, going foul pole to foul pole in a demonstration of one of the prep ranks' most pro-ready bats."

"holey"-moley, the kid can flat-out RAKE! He's going to make some team look very smart for taking him. ;)

Archived