1. 1. Who starts in OF

• Gentry
    • Mancini

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Injuries happen.  The depth is there to help when they do.

True.   I am really glad we have Gentry and also Chris Johnson.   Two proven major league players who combine to back us up at 5 positions (assuming that for a Hardy injury Manny would move to short and Johnson would come up).

Of course pitchers get hurt at a higher rate than hitters and our pitching depth isn't as good as our hitting depth.   But we all know how hard pitching depth is to come by.

Trumbo will start in RF tomorrow. Mancini will DH. Rickard in left, most likely.

Buck will ease Mancini into being a major league hitter before he throws him out into right field. He may already be better out there than Trumbo (or not), but Buck will go with the player who won't be upset with himself if he has a bad day out there.

Gentry will come in for defense late in the game because Buck says he's the perfect 4th outfielder, and that's what 4th outfielders do.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can he refuse and be granted free agency?

Has he ever been out-righted before? 

June 6, 2006: Drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 10th round of the 2006 amateur draft. Player signed June 9, 2006.

December 3, 2013: Traded by the Texas Rangers with Josh Lindblom to the Oakland Athletics for Chris Bostick (minors) and Michael Choice.

December 1, 2015: Granted Free Agency.

December 9, 2015: Signed as a Free Agent with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

August 3, 2016: Released by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

February 20, 2017: Signed as a Free Agent with the Baltimore Orioles.

Baseball Reference appears to say not. 

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can he refuse and be granted free agency?

Yes, he can. A player with at least 5 years of major league service time cannot be outrighted to the minor leagues without his consent. According to BBRef, Gentry has 5.103 years of ML service. 

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

It is interesting how we all cite only the facts needed to bolster our argument.  You talk of his "entire AAA career"  which was part of last year 125 games at a park like Norfolk and you exclude the 17 games he had at Bowie where he hit an additional 7 homers.   If you combine his year at AAA and AA, then his stats go to 20 HRS and .815 OPS.  Plus he did then also hit 3 home runs in short sample at the major league level.  I have seen Trey play at Frederick, at Bowie and at Norfolk and late in the 2014 season he changed parts of his swing and has taken off since then.  There are guys who you see play and when the ball comes off their bat it makes a unique sound- Trumbo has that sound.  This kid has that sound of the ball coming off the bat.   I do not think he is going to be Paul Goldschmidt but I think he is going to be a much better major league hitter than many others on the board do.  

I think a lot of early scouting reports were not representative of the subsequent changes he made in his swing....

Scouting Report
Mancini has plus raw power and is likely to get to a good bit of it because, despite a stiff, upright swing, he has excellent hitter’s timing and has quieted aspects of his swing that turned off amateur evaluators. He projects to make an average amount of contact.

But 17 games at AA are just that -- 17 games at AA. They are not games at AAA, which is a level higher. So logic would seem to dictate that if he fell off so drastically after moving from AA to AAA, there should be questions surrounding whether or not he's ready for prime time. I've said before that I think he has the potential to carve out a big league career with his bat (some have compared him to Matt Adams and that's probably a good comparison for his potential, although when he was called up last year Fangraphs gave his minor league comp as Kevin Barker, who played in 126 games over five seasons -- but married Hazel Mae). That doesn't mean he's ready to "mash" in an extended run now, nor does it do anything to lessen the negative impact of having a very slow, unathletic player who has never played the outfield before this spring at any professional level getting significant time in right field.

Also, Harbor Park is a convenient excuse, but also a poor one. The fact is that Mancini hit 7 of his home runs in 63 road games and 6 in 62 home games. By contrast, Dariel Alvarez hit 11 of his 16 home runs at home in 2015. He's now a pitcher. And it's not like Harbor Park is Yellowstone. The dimensions are actually very similar to OPACY (333 left, 400 center, 318 right).

And the scouting report I reference was the 2017 model (it even mentioned his home runs in the September call-up). There's always the chance he could exceed expectations (he already has to a certain extent) and be the player you guys seem to have it in your heads he's destined to be. But none of the scouts are expecting it.  Neither am I.

23 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Then either Mancini or Rickard will go to Norfolk

The way Buck and Dan play the game its never that easy.  They play both the option game and the DL game.

Need a starter on the 15th.   They may option Wilson on the 15th and recall Aquino.  After the game the may option Aquino and call up Ynoa or Crichton or Lee as relievers.  They could play the same game on the 26th and option someone. (Remember when Drake is DFA'd on the 9th to make room for Miley that opens a 40 man roster spot.  Crichton could be promoted)

Also the O's DL'd 16 players last year. Roughly two to three a month. With a 10 day DL it could be more the year,  They have already DL'd three- Tillman, Santander and Miley.  One because he is injured.  Two because they could.  

Tillman is supposed have his first start on May 2nd.  How many players do you think the O's will DL between now and May 2nd?  No one knows.  But injuries happen all the time.  A 10 day DL makes it easier to DL someone for a small injury.  

Mancini or Rickard could be optioned or it could be someone else that is optioned or DL'd.

45 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The way Buck and Dan play the game its never that easy.  They play both the option game and the DL game.

Need a starter on the 15th.   They may option Wilson on the 15th and recall Aquino.  After the game the may option Aquino and call up Ynoa or Crichton or Lee as relievers.  They could play the same game on the 26th and option someone. (Remember when Drake is DFA'd on the 9th to make room for Miley that opens a 40 man roster spot.  Crichton could be promoted)

Also the O's DL'd 16 players last year. Roughly two to three a month. With a 10 day DL it could be more the year,  They have already DL'd three- Tillman, Santander and Miley.  One because he is injured.  Two because they could.  

Tillman is supposed have his first start on May 2nd.  How many players do you think the O's will DL between now and May 2nd?  No one knows.  But injuries happen all the time.  A 10 day DL makes it easier to DL someone for a small injury.  

Mancini or Rickard could be optioned or it could be someone else that is optioned or DL'd.

After the 15th they are not going with a 4 man rotation or a 6 man pen.

Archived