1. 1. Who starts in OF

• Gentry
    • Mancini

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, dan-O said:

The point is, this is a silly thread. If Mancini isn't starting tomorrow, ban me. 

I voted Gentry.    Am I just a moron?

I can see arguments either way.   Personally, I think Mancini will be sent to Norfolk on or before April 15, and that Gentry would have been assigned to Norfolk to begin the season if Buck wasn't planning on putting him in the lineup.   I also don't think Buck cares at all which of these guys (or Rickard) is a "fan favorite."   He'll do whatever he thinks will win games.  

8 minutes ago, dan-O said:

The point is, this is a silly thread. If Mancini isn't starting tomorrow, ban me. 

Remember last Friday when you were talking about a 90 percent chance of Opening Day being rained out? Did we ever consolidate a bet on that one? If not, can you ban yourself anyway? 

My guess is Buck plays the match ups.

1) Joey is 2 for 3 vs Happ with a homer.  He starts in left.

2) Gentry is 3 for 10 with a double off Happ.  He probably starts in right.

Of course Mancini has not faced him.  But he hits lefties.  So one or two could be wrong.

Happ dominated us last year in TOR.  Pedro's HR was the only thing that prevented a shutout and maybe a no hitter.  I'm guessing the lineup will be

1. Rickard LF

2. Jones CF

3. Machado 3B

4. Trumbo RF 

5. Davis 1B L

6. Castillo C

7. Mancini DH

8. Schoop 2B

9. Hardy SS

We could go all RH's but Davis is a must play because of his defense at 1B.  I don't see him coming out the lineup, but could we drop him to 7th when we have the luxury of having Mancini on the team.  I'd say it's too early to ruffle any clubhouse feathers and this is what we roll with.  

Having optionable arms in the pen and possibly an optionable 5th SP will allow us to call Mancini up during the season for spot starts at DH vs tough LH SP.  

Just now, Spider44 said:

How about this for a crazy thought. They both start. Is it too crazy to think that Crush gets a day off against Happ?

It's kinda crazy.

Even if it isn't a bad idea.

Davis, Schoop and Machado only seem to get days off when they are ill or suspended.

Davis has struck out 7 times in 15 at bats against Happ, so...

I voted Gentry. If the Orioles were serious about improving the outfield defense, that's how they need to go. Gentry had a great spring -- offensively and defensively -- and has earned the platoon. Mancini apparently has been better than expected in the outfield, but he's still a novice. If you're going to turn him into an outfielder, he needs to be in Norfolk. Until then, he can pinch hit.

That said, the Orioles are obsessed with home runs, so nothing would surprise me. 

33 minutes ago, Spider44 said:

How about this for a crazy thought. They both start. Is it too crazy to think that Crush gets a day off against Happ?

Not crazy in terms of the numbers, but I don't see this happening at all. Not this early in the season following an off-day and before another off-day. If this is mid-May and the middle of week without an off-day, I think there's a great chance Davis sits (given the same roster makeup which, of course, wouldn't happen in such a scenario since we would need the five starters, but I digress...). 

Anyway, I think it'll be Mancini for no other reason than I think Buck will want to get him in a few games before he gets sent down with the 5th starter is needed. 

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think this could possibly play in Buck sitting Davis, playing Trumbo at 1B, Mancini at DH, and Gentry in right.

I was thinking exactly that when Mancini pinch hit the other day and I was thinking ahead to Wednesday. It's hard to imagine them sitting Davis so early though. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Both were bad last year but Gentry has at least proven himself to be a viable major leaguer when healthy.

That is something that both Mancini and Rickard have not done.

So while I don't expect it to happen, I think it very probably should.

I have to agree. 

4 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

I was thinking exactly that when Mancini pinch hit the other day and I was thinking ahead to Wednesday. It's hard to imagine them sitting Davis so early though. 

Davis is not sitting. For three years. Unless injured. 

Archived