Palmer said Bundy had shoulder stiffness in his last start

Dark Helmet

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I certainly expect Buck to back off Bundy as the season progresses. In fact I would be stunned if he doesn't do it. 

Is there any evidence from past usage of any pitcher by Buck that he takes them out before they get in trouble?  Buck seems convinced that if he keeps leaving them in they will find the stamina to increase their effectiveness into the late innings.

3 minutes ago, dan-O said:

Exactly. Buck won't even have a bullpen arm warming until the starter has a guy on base in his final inning most times.

The exception is Ubaldo. I have seen Buck yank Ubaldo at the right time.

I know Buck hates to get a reliever up until he knows for certain he's going to use him except in the case of getting a long reliever up or when the situation will dictate either a closer or setup guys comes on, but this drives me absolutely nuts. Now Buck seems to be able to keep his pen healthy for the most part, but I do think he waits too long to get guys up. I also think some guys like Givens look cold when they come in during an inning because he was rushed into situations in the middle of innings when he didn't warm up very long.

Other managers seem to have their options ready and rarely do I think they leave their starters in too long. In my mind, it's one of Buck's weak points as manager. Now before people gt all bent out of shape over that comment, I think Buck is a great manager overall, just that his penchant for leaving his starter's out there past their effectiveness and rushing relievers into games is a weak point of his.

Bundy is currently #3 in MLB in innings pitched, behind only Keuchel and Kershaw. Buck pushed him into the rotation last year and now he is pushing him to be a workhorse. But, he is a full year removed from TJ. Hopefully Buck will feel a little less pressure with Zach and Tillman coming back...

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Bundy is currently #3 in MLB in innings pitched, behind only Keuchel and Kershaw. Buck pushed him into the rotation last year and now he is pushing him to be a workhorse. But, he is a full year removed from TJ. Hopefully Buck will feel a little less pressure with Zach and Tillman coming back...

Bundy had his TJ surgery on June 27, 2013.  That is over 3 years and 10 month ago.

11 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

So Bundy's future should be trashed because no one else on this team can go 7? 

No. But who  was Buck going to bring in? Buck saw the BP blow up Friday Night. Everyone seems to be pissed at Buck over  Bundy. Even though the O's won. Maybe I am wrong in my thinking. I  am always happy with the wins first.? I think Bundy can handle the work load.  Buck could be between a rock and a hard place. Britton's injury has  messed up a lot of options for Buck. If the BP hadn't pissed their beds Friday Night things would be different. He had to push Bundy. JIMO

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

He has the opportunity to limit his pitch count and innings early in the season and has not.   Only a Bundy injury or poor performance will get Buck to back off.  He's going to ride him until he drops.   If Bundy is pitching well and the Orioles stay in this thing do you honestly believe that Buck will start pitching him 5 innings per start or completely skip his turn in the rotation?   Ha!

I am talking about spots like last night. It is all relative. We can sit here and debate how many pitches is too many any game. This team needs Britton to manage the pen properly. I am not saying he is going to pitch 5 innings and be done. If he had another arm he could trust they would have started the 8th IMO.  

Bundy is a unique case because of his injury history. I don't think the Orioles are going to ignore that. 

Bundy has been between 99 and. 111 pitches on the season. Of course one reason he has thrown that many is he has been effective. When he has some bad outings -which he will- he won't be throwing that many.  

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

How did sending Bundy out for the 8th last night help manage the bullpen?

Because if he gets through the 8th he may not have to use O'Day or Brach at all last night. Both of those had pitched 2 of 3 in NY and both had as we all remember one rough outing. If the play in LF is made who knows what happens.  

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

What's more important?    Keeping your ace pitcher healthy or having your bullpen pitch extra inning with a 5 run lead?    O'Day and Brach both wound up pitching an inning.    Obviously they were available.   Buck would probably had preferred to rest one of them.   But, if given the choice of overusing O'Day, Brach, or Bundy, I think that's an easy call.

Bundy was at 111 when he was done last night over the course of 7 plus innings. We can debate all day where that magic number is. Ideally I don't want him out there that long either. He didn't look labored to me. I thought last night someone should have been up earlier but I know why Buck did what he did. It would be nice to get out of this division. If we are up 5 in Chicago vs the WS I think maybe Buck manages different.

No way in the world is Buck going to pitch a Blier or Wright in a 5 run game in Fenway. I assume Hart was out along with Givens. That gave him O'Day and Brach who both pitched the day before. Get Britton back and automatically that is one more arm a game that is fresh that Buck can trust in a 5 run game. He can use 2 of Givens/O'Day/Brach and always have one fresh the next game and use Hart better as well. 

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

What's more important?    Keeping your ace pitcher healthy or having your bullpen pitch extra inning with a 5 run lead?    O'Day and Brach both wound up pitching an inning.    Obviously they were available.   Buck would probably had preferred to rest one of them.   But, if given the choice of overusing O'Day, Brach, or Bundy, I think that's an easy call.

Bundy did not have an obscene pitch count entering the bottom of the 8th.

Just now, eddie83 said:

Bundy was at 111 when he was done last night over the course of 7 plus innings. We can debate all day where that magic number is. Ideally I don't want him out there that long either. He didn't look labored to me. I thought last night someone should have been up earlier but I know why Buck did what he did. It would be nice to get out of this division. If we are up 5 in Chicago vs the WS I think maybe Buck manages different.

No way in the world is Buck going to pitch a Blier or Wright in a 5 run game in Fenway. I assume Hart was out along with Givens. That gave him O'Day and Brach who both pitched the day before. Get Britton back and automatically that is one more arm a game that is fresh that Buck can trust in a 5 run game. He can use 2 of Givens/O'Day/Brach and always have one fresh the next game and use Hart better as well. 

Just a couple more games and then we won't see the East again for awhile. It's absurd, the way they build the schedules now. it's May 2 and the Orioles have faced precisely one team that isn't in the AL East.

Just now, FlipTheBird said:

Just a couple more games and then we won't see the East again for awhile. It's absurd, the way they build the schedules now. it's May 2 and the Orioles have faced precisely one team that isn't in the AL East.

I'm telling you right now managing in this division is taxing. I mean except for Tampa when does a 5 run lead feel like a 5 run lead? I know the Jays aren't hitting this year and I hope it continues but in Fenway vs that lineup and in NY that park is so small. If Judge can go the other way there at all he can hit 50 bombs easy. That RF on TV looks like Willlamsport. 

It is important to win this division games to say the least. 

Archived