Who will be covering the left side of the infield next year?

FanSince88

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the start of this season I've developed a strange optimism that Manny is going to agree to a fat deal to be our SS for the next 10 years.

If he doesn't though I really hope we don't drag our feet and let him go for nothing in return.

I think the left side of the infield is exactly the same - Machado at 3B and Hardy at SS. Even with a $2 million buy-out, Hardy will be affordable on a short deal given his age, injury history, and production. Buck and the team value him highly for the intangibles he brings every night.

I know the thought of Machado at SS is a popular topic - but I think his days as a full-time shortstop are over. He's become one of the most valuable players in baseball at 3B - why would any team risk that by putting him at a physically demanding position that could weaken his bat's output and reawaken his knee injuries of the past?

It seems by design that the team is designed to go all in for a Championship this year and next. At the end of 2018 - they'll evaluate where they are and resign who they can. 

Archived