As of today, would you trade places with Royals fans for the last 20 years?

Frobby

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

I wouldn't make the trade if it meant I had to give up the 2012 season. I have never seen an O's world series but that is my favorite sports season of all time. 

My favorite sports team of all time too.  I'd trade it in a heartbeat for a WS + another WS appearance.

I would have run the original question all the way back to 1990, or so, to take into account the O's little burst between 92-97 (finished all but one of those years - 95 - above .500). Obviously there were two ALCS appearances. Had the strike not ended the 94 season, they were firmly in the race for the inaugural Wild Card (trailing Cleveland by 2.5 games).

I think it may have balanced the cosmic scales a bit, so to speak, given that the Royals were largely MIA during the entirety of the 90s.

To answer the original question, though... If we're sticking with the last 20 years, the teams have had a very, very similar run - the Royals just happen to have a piece of hardware that the O's don't. So I guess you have to lean KC.

I'm not the be all, end all, WS type that apparently a lot of folks in this thread are. Sports are far more about the journey than the final outcome. Thing is, in the last 20 years, at least, the Royals have a very similar journey, just with a shiny piece of metal, too. So they win, just barely.

It's incredibly sad that you have to squint real hard to say the Orioles have been better than the Royals over the last 20 or even 30 years. Really sad when you consider the gift of Camden Yards that was given to Peter Angelos. This thread and season are depressing. :(

BTW, Cal Ripken actually makes a big difference. He was a huge gift to Orioles fans and made Baltimore much more relevant to baseball than their on-the-field performance. Nationally, I think the Streak was second only to the pursuit of Maris' record in terms of national focus on baseball during my adulthood. 

12 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

BTW, Cal Ripken actually makes a big difference. He was a huge gift to Orioles fans and made Baltimore much more relevant to baseball than their on-the-field performance. Nationally, I think the Streak was second only to the pursuit of Maris' record in terms of national focus on baseball during my adulthood. 

Good point and nice summary.  Pete Rose's pursuit of Cobb and Ichiro's of Honus were also interesting, challenging events but not quite comparable IMO.  The pressure and fortitude to get up and play every day for Cal (carried over from season to season) and the torture of the grueling, myopic NY spotlight for Maris to break Ruth's * iconic record had to be mentally and physically demanding.

2 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Good point and nice summary.  Pete Rose's pursuit of Cobb and Ichiro's of Honus were also interesting, challenging events but not quite comparable IMO.  The pressure and fortitude to get up and play every day for Cal (carried over from season to season) and the torture of the grueling, myopic NY spotlight for Maris to break Ruth's * iconic record had to be mentally and physically demanding.

I saw Cal play in Atlanta during his last season. The line for autographs was about 300 yards long. The adulation and admiration for Cal was unlike anything I've ever seen in baseball. A Norman Rockwell painting come to life and one that had Orioles splashed across the front of it. 

On 5/12/2017 at 8:07 AM, Frobby said:

Their last rebuild took 19 years, which would make me nervous if I were a Royals fan.     Their lack of resources also would concern me.   I should add that I'm plenty nervous about how long the Orioles' next rebuild might take, when it comes.   

If it comes. The Orioles have never actually tried to rebuild under Angelos unless you count the Syd Thrift firesale back in 2000. After that disaster, and at Angelos' age, i don't see them going full rebuild. They will most like try to stay around .500 and hope they get a year where it all hits. Duquette just said that he still thinks the Orioles are a contender, and considering if they got any decent starting pitching that could still happen, i see them adding mediocre pieces like usual to end up a few games over .500 and in 4th place.

The problem is the starting pitching is in such shambles that it's going to take at least two new starters to give this team a chance and where are they going to find two new starters without giving up legitimate prospects like Austin Hays and Ryan Mountcastle?

On 5/11/2017 at 11:17 PM, Frobby said:

Orioles: 14 straight losing seasons, followed by five straight non-losing seasons, one division title snd ALCS appearance, one winning wild card game and ALDS loss, one wild card game loss, look to be a winning team again this year and maybe next, future fuzzy after that. 

Royals: 15 straight losing seasons (actually, 19 if you go back further than '98), followed by four straight non-losing seasons, including a World Series title and another World Series appearance, but now look headed for a noncompetitive season and perhaps a lengthy rebuild.    

So, would you rather be a Royals fan, with a longer losing streak, a shorter burst of competitiveness, and facing immediate return of noncompetitivenes, but having obtained the ultimate prize in recent memory?    Or would you rather be an Orioles fan, still with a long noncompetitive period, a longer (and still ongoing) competitive period, but no ultimate orize and a still uncertain mid-term future?

No, then we would not have Nolan Reimold!

On 5/11/2017 at 11:17 PM, Frobby said:

Orioles: 14 straight losing seasons, followed by five straight non-losing seasons, one division title snd ALCS appearance, one winning wild card game and ALDS loss, one wild card game loss, look to be a winning team again this year and maybe next, future fuzzy after that. 

Royals: 15 straight losing seasons (actually, 19 if you go back further than '98), followed by four straight non-losing seasons, including a World Series title and another World Series appearance, but now look headed for a noncompetitive season and perhaps a lengthy rebuild.    

So, would you rather be a Royals fan, with a longer losing streak, a shorter burst of competitiveness, and facing immediate return of noncompetitivenes, but having obtained the ultimate prize in recent memory?    Or would you rather be an Orioles fan, still with a long noncompetitive period, a longer (and still ongoing) competitive period, but no ultimate orize and a still uncertain mid-term future?

Nah no way, but I am not a good one to ask I go back too far with the O's I remember all our WS victory's ect. NO WAY do I dump the O's.

5 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

BTW, Cal Ripken actually makes a big difference. He was a huge gift to Orioles fans, and made Baltimore much more relevant to baseball than their on-the-field performances. Nationally, I think the Streak was second only to the pursuit of Maris' record in terms of national focus on baseball during my adulthood.

o

In the summer of 1973, they would have an update on Hank Aaron's torrid chase of Babe Ruth's all-time home run record every week on Monday Night Baseball when Aaron was rapidly approaching Ruth's career home run record. It was recorded by Detroit Tigers pitcher Bill Slayback, and was written by Ernie Harwell ....... the pre-game show was The Baseball World of Joe Garagiola.

o

o

22 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

In the summer of 1973, they would have an update on Hank Aaron's torrid chase of Babe Ruth's all-time home run record every week on Monday Night Baseball when Aaron was rapidly approaching Ruth's career home run record. It was recorded by Detroit Tigers pitcher Bill Slayback, and was written by Ernie Harwell ....... the pre-game show was The Baseball World of Joe Garagiola.

o

o

I wasn't an adult in 1973. 

On 6/26/2017 at 2:33 PM, Ohfan67 said:

I wasn't an adult in 1973. 

o

You weren't an adult in 1961 either, but you cited Roger Maris' pursuit of Babe Ruth's single-season home run record in comparing Cal Ripken Jr.'s consecutive games played streak.

I wasn't an adult in 1973 either, I was 7 and-a-half years old.

o

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

You weren't adult in 1961 either, but you cited Roger Maris' pursuit of Babe Ruth's single-season home run record in comparing Cal Ripken Jr.'s consecutive games played streak.

I wasn't an adult in 1973 either, I was 7 and-a-half years old.

o

Read the BTW that you quoted. I said the pursuit of Maris' record, not Maris' pursuit of Ruth's record...by Big Mac and Sosa. Bonds' passing of Aaron was obviously also big but was tempered way more my PED's at that time. 

No biggie. 

Archived