Manny - Time for an intervention?

vab

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Do you think Bryce Harper is the same hitter as he was last year and its just the normal ebb and flow from last year to this year?

I think you can't take a couple months or even a couple of years worth of data and reach a firm conclusion about a player.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Bryce Harper is well on his way to his 2nd MVP. Just saying.

It pains me to say this, but I can't, with a straight face, put Manny and Harper on the same level. 

Heading into the season people were rating Manny above Harper. What a month and a half it's been.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Manny put up a .944 OPS in his first 83 games last year.  Since then he's in the 700's.  A legitimate question is why?  

No one is asking for a firm conclusion. It may be normal variance but that doesn't mean there aren't reasons behind it.

Most say Harper played hurt last year so while you may call it normal variance there may be actual reasons why he is so much better this year.

And so, its normal to wonder if there are actual reasons why Manny was so good first half last year and not so great since then.

You, yourself, claimed Gausman might be injured to explain his poor start and the sample size is much smaller.  So it seems that even you sometimes look for a reason to explain diminished performance.

I'm fine with that.

Was talks of mirages got my dander up.

16 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So much scrutiny by O's fans for Manny.  I wonder if this is what it was like for Eddie?

Manny is 24 and has a .749 OPS so far.  Eddie had a 65-game run during his age-24 season where he OPS'd .734, I'm sure he got out of the slump when the fans reminded him that he sucked and wasn't worth anything like Reggie Jackson money and better never expect it, you prima donna.

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Manny put up a .944 OPS in his first 83 games last year.  Since then he's in the 700's.  A legitimate question is why?  

Maybe he can ask Brooks why he was OPSing under .700 in early May the season after he won the MVP award.  Maybe he could wander out to Boog's and ask him why he followed up his breakout 1.000+ OPS season with a .754.  Or he could call up Cal and find out the reasons behind his descent from MVP/GG/SS season to a sub-.700 OPS the next year.

1 hour ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Bryce Harper is well on his way to his 2nd MVP. Just saying.

It pains me to say this, but I can't, with a straight face, put Manny and Harper on the same level. 

Yes, until Harper puts up consecutive high level seasons it's hard to put him on the same level as Manny.

Manny has been worth 5.9 rWAR per 150 games.  Harper 5.2.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, until Harper puts up consecutive high level seasons it's hard to put him on the same level as Manny.

Manny has been worth 5.9 rWAR per 150 games.  Harper 5.2.

Maybe it's just me, but 2 potential MVP season would do more than cancel that out.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

So, you posted to say you have no clue?   Yeah, I think we get it that performance can vary greatly from season to season sometimes.  Sometimes its because of an injury.  Sometimes a hitter or pitcher falls into faulty mechanics. 

Apparently you don't believe  there could be a reason.  Stuff just happens randomly for no rhyme or reason 

Rhythms is the longest word without a vowel. CHRONONHOTONTHOLOGOS is the longest word with one vowel.

Archived