21xxxv

21 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

JJ seems... done. Last year he was certainly looking like he was entering the "twilight" part of his career, but this year he's just fallen off a cliff. It's tough to watch.

I was very pleased with JJ's production last year.    I'd gladly have taken another year just like it.   

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

I just don't know that we're going to get it.

We clearly aren't, even if his hitting started improving almost immediately from here.     He'd have to post about a .785 OPS the  rest of the season to get his overall OPS up to last year's .716. Honestly, if he could finish the season at .650 I'd be thrilled at this point.    

3 hours ago, TheEldestTorres said:

I agree that internal options are weak in the short term, but if we make a trade, I hope to God it's for pitching and not for a stop-gap shortstop....

This is, of course, the big-picture issue. It's just unlikely that the O's have the assets to acquire a SS, given that they'll need to upgrade either the starting rotation, bullpen, or both, should they stay in the race.

6 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

This is, of course, the big-picture issue. It's just unlikely that the O's have the assets to acquire a SS, given that they'll need to upgrade either the starting rotation, bullpen, or both, should they stay in the race.

I could maybe seeing us do a rental of Frazier or Moustakas and moving Manny to SS.

8 minutes ago, O-Arm36 said:

I could maybe seeing us do a rental of Frazier or Moustakas and moving Manny to SS.

See ya farm system. Unless there is an injury, we should just roll with the infield as is this year. If we make a major trade it will probably be for a BP arm and/or SP. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

He'd have to post about a .785 OPS the  rest of the season to get his overall OPS up to last year's .716.

Last year he had above .801 OPS total for July, August, September.  There is that possibility still this year.   (.299/.346/.455/.801)

His best CAREER OPS is August.  (.760)

52 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Last year he had above .801 OPS total for July, August, September.  There is that possibility still this year.   (.299/.346/.455/.801)

His best CAREER OPS is August.  (.760)

Well, that gives me some encouragement, though he looks considerably worse so far this year than at any point last year.

Adam Jones .728

Manny Machado .679

Jonathan Schoop .670

Joey Rickard .657

Caleb Joseph .625

Seth Smith .501

Paul Janish .000

Over the last 14 days all the above have a lower OPS than does J J Hardy.  No talk of releasing them.  How come????

15 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Adam Jones .728

Manny Machado .679

Jonathan Schoop .670

Joey Rickard .657

Caleb Joseph .625

Seth Smith .501

Paul Janish .000

Over the last 14 days all the above have a lower OPS than does J J Hardy.  No talk of releasing them.  How come????

There's a significant difference between2 weeks and 2 and a half years. I'm sure you know that so what's the point?

17 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Adam Jones .728

Manny Machado .679

Jonathan Schoop .670

Joey Rickard .657

Caleb Joseph .625

Seth Smith .501

Paul Janish .000

Are you really bringing up Paul Janish and his two whole plate appearances this year in your defense of Hardy? You can also mention that Hardy has more homers this year than David Ortiz.

The answer, in short, is that only one player in this whole discussion is below replacement level for the year (hint: it's not Caleb...or even Janish). 

1 hour ago, thezeroes said:

Adam Jones .728

Manny Machado .679

Jonathan Schoop .670

Joey Rickard .657

Caleb Joseph .625

Seth Smith .501

Paul Janish .000

The reason for this post is that Hardy is not the reason for the losing over the past two weeks.  LOST on the Hardy Haters I guess.

10 minutes ago, Dannyboy said:

JJ Hardy is the least of this teams problems.

I wouldn't say that.    He's been their worst everyday player, significantly under replacement value.   That's been a pretty serious problem.  

Now, I do see some positives.    He got off to a rough start defensively but has rebounded.   He's clearly not as good defensively as a few years ago, but he's at about average for a major league SS after starting the year in negative territory.   

Hitting-wise, he's at .744 OPS over his last 15 games.   That's not exactly a hot streak, but we'd all be happy if he could be in that neighborhood for the rest of the year.  

All in all, I'm crossing my fingers that Hardy can manage his way back into "above replacement value" territory.    That said, he's clearly not the player he was, even as recently as last season.   

On 5/21/2017 at 1:23 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Robinson's final game was in mid-August.

o

Yep, if I remember correctly, we needed a roster spot when Dempsey was ready to come off the DL, and Brooks decided the time was right.

Archived