Whas that it?

webbrick2010

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Chris Davis mustered a 7 game hit streak and a few HR's, and now he is back to not being able to even put a ball in play?

You just don't get what you used to for 21 million dollars

o

Just a few days ago in a game thread, you were praising Davis for getting on base and calling Mark Trumbo "Trumbum" for following it up with an out.

Now Trumbo is heating up, so Davis is again your whipping boy.

o

1 minute ago, OFFNY said:

o

Just a few days ago in a game thread, you were praising Davis for getting on base and calling Mark Trumbo "Trumbum" for following it up with an out.

Now Trumbo is hot, so Davis is again your whipping boy.

o

You can't even engage people like him into a real conversation.

I said, a short spurt and back to a 9 week slump. That's the real Chris Davis. What a terrible contract. We will regret that one for a long time to come. Albert Bell all over again.

5 minutes ago, joeyc said:

I said, a short spurt and back to a 9 week slump. That's the real Chris Davis. What a terrible contract. We will regret that one for a long time to come. Albert Bell all over again.

Not even close.

Bell was productive and then he was injured.  Yes he cost the team a spot on the 40 man but the insurance paid the salary.

8 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Now Trumbo is heating up, so Davis is again your whipping boy.

o

Make no mistake I think both contracts are horrendous and both players not worth a quarter of the salary DD gifted them

7 minutes ago, joeyc said:

Albert Belle was good. He just got hurt. 

4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Make no mistake I think both contracts are horrendous and both players not worth a quarter of the salary DD gifted them

I'd love to build a team with your discards. I recall you trashing Dan for not signing Zimmermann as well. 

42 minutes ago, weams said:

I'd love to build a team with your discards. I recall you trashing Dan for not signing Zimmermann as well. 

Nope... never did... and if you haven't figured out my message by now, it is simple

I don't believe in any long term free agent contracts... they almost all turn out to be failures

I believe in drafting well, developing well and fielding a team largely made of young pre FA players, add in an occasional nugget late bloomer, and a few still productive past prime veterans on max 3 year contracts. Trade high on the Jim Johnson, Darren O'day, Zach Britton, Mark Trumbo, Chris Davis types after their "career" years and re-stock the system.

Pretty much disagree with every major trade/extension that DD has made since he got here.

23 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Nope... never did... and if you haven't figured out my message by now, it is simple

I don't believe in any long term free agent contracts... they almost all turn out to be failures

I believe in drafting well, developing well and fielding a team largely made of young pre FA players, add in an occasional nugget late bloomer, and a few still productive past prime veterans on max 3 year contracts. Trade high on the Jim Johnson, Darren O'day, Zach Britton, Mark Trumbo, Chris Davis types after their "career" years and re-stock the system.

Pretty much disagree with every major trade/extension that DD has made since he got here.

My apologies then.  There was a clamor. 

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

I agree with much of your sentiment, but it's hard to win without overpaying for some players. Also, do you just want Angelos to keep the money? I guess you would want to invest a lot more in the minor league system, international signings, etc, but that leaves a lot of money on the table. I do not care if the Orioles over pay for wins unless it really hinders them in the future. I don't like what they have done in terms of losing picks and the like, but I don't care if they overpay Hardy, Davis, or others if the money wasn't going to be used to improve the team now or long term...and there's little evidence that it really would be used better IMO. Who cares if they overpay if the only real damage is to Angelos' profit margins. 

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

The problem with that recipe is it will make you good for a few years, with a chance to make the playoffs, then really bad for a few years when players don't pan out. A good organization does a lot of what you talk about, but they also have to be able to identify and sign long term the players they build around. I agree with you that Davis was not that kind of player. i didn't have an issue with resigning him, I only had an issue with signing him for seven years. 

No way he was the kind of player that gets a seven year contract and the fact the Orioles basically negotiated against themselves really showed a lack of understanding of the market. Then again, I've also head the decision was a ownership decision more than a DD decision.

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The problem with that recipe is it will make you good for a few years, with a chance to make the playoffs, then really bad for a few years when players don't pan out. A good organization does a lot of what you talk about, but they also have to be able to identify and sign long term the players they build around. I agree with you that Davis was not that kind of player. i didn't have an issue with resigning him, I only had an issue with signing him for seven years. 

No way he was the kind of player that gets a seven year contract and the fact the Orioles basically negotiated against themselves really showed a lack of understanding of the market. Then again, I've also head the decision was a ownership decision more than a DD decision.

That strategy works better when ownership is willing to invest in the International market.

Archived