Tim Kurkjian On Whether Orioles Should Trade Manny Machado

PressBoxOnline

38 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

What will bother me is the Yankees got more for Andrew Miller than the O's will get for Machado.  For that matter they got more for Carlos Beltran than O's will get for Machado.   If this isn't collusion to help the Yankees I don't  know what is.  It has always been that way since MLB started. 

So your theory is that the other teams in MLB are colluding to help the Yankees? How does that benefit those teams, exactly?

And your proof of that collusion is something that...hasn't actually happened?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Frobby said:

We should approach Manny now about an extension, while he's feeling vulnerable and can see the risk of waiting it out.    Yes, I'm serious.    

I agree. But watching him sleepwalk through his AB makes it a lot easier to deal with the notion of trading him Like we did with Bedard we should let him know it's between extension and a trade.

7 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Just because those guys didn't pan out doesn't mean it wasn't a good trade.  You go for the higher-end difference makers and see what happens.  We were also supposed to love the Conine to the Marlins trade that resulted in two quality prospects that really didn't pan out.  You trust your scouts and negotiate the best deal you can.  Ainsworth had the potential to be a very good pitcher.  

I didn't say it was a bad trade, I was merely pointing out that it didn't do anything (for either club, really). I meant to convey caution on dealing Machado, because prospects really are just prospects.

9 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

What will bother me is the Yankees got more for Andrew Miller than the O's will get for Machado.  For that matter they got more for Carlos Beltran than O's will get for Machado.   If this isn't collusion to help the Yankees I don't  know what is.  It has always been that way since MLB started. 

This is tin foil hat stuff.    

I would offer Manny 4 different options:

1. 8 yr contract averaging 30 mil a yr with a 4 yr opt out.

2. 10 yr contract averaging 30 mil a yr with a 5 yr opt out.

3. Tell us what you want.

4. Give us a list of 6 to 8 teams you would talk to about an extension.

If none of the above, pick up the phone NOW. On 1 & 2 you can play with the money and back load it. You can also defer some.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is tin foil hat stuff.    

Yeah I'm gonna go with, Brian Cashman is a really good GM that people don't give enough credit to because he GMs the Yankees.

If the Orioles can't get major, major returns for Machado that is their fault.

3 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Yeah, I'm gonna go with Brian Cashman is a really good GM that people don't give enough credit to because he GMs the Yankees.

If the Orioles can't get major, major returns for Machado, that is their fault.

o

There is one significant nuance that I believe needs to be added here in regard to Cashman's success of putting winning/competitive teams on the field year in and year out.

You may not be able to outright buy championships, or even pennants, but you sure as hell can buy yourself into being a perennial contender with a very small chance of fielding teams that have losing records.

The Yankees have had a payroll in excess of $200 Million since 2005. Their payroll has dropped some over the last 2 seasons, but that has been due largely to large contracts coming off the the books, not necessarily the Yankees deciding to considerably tighten their pocket strings.

There is/has been no "risk/reward" factor for the Yankees in terms of paying their players to stay and/or acquiring new and expensive free agents. For mid-market and small-market teams, if they splurge on a couple of highly expensive free agents that don't work out, those teams will like be moderately to severely hamstrung financially as a result of those signings for several years. The Orioles, in light of Chris Davis' most recent extension and the unresolved situation with Manny Machado and his potential mega-contract, could be starting down the barrel of that type of situation over the next few years. For the Yankees, it doesn't matter if they spend a lot of money on free agents that either bust and/or don't live up to the expectations that they had of them when they gave them all of that money (Carl Pavano, A. J. Burnett, Randy Johnson, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira, etc.) Or for that matter, Derek Jeter in the last few years of his career. Jeter wasn't a free agent signing, but as I stated earlier, he was a player that was making boatloads of money ($16 Million a year over the final 5 years of his career between 2010 and 2014), and he was nowhere near that type of money player in his last 2 years with the team. But for the Yankees and their short-term and long-term budgets, no matter ....... they can keep spending, with little or no repercussions.

As somebody once said about 8 or 9 years ago prior to Dan Duquette coming on board, if you give me more than $200 Million a year every year for 8, 9, 10 years running, and I'll find a way to put winning/competitive teams on the field year in and year out. You give me the financial restrictions that Andy MacPhail has/had on him, and they'll hang me outside of OPACY.

o

21 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

1gjevz.jpg

Archived