How has Gausman gotten this screwed up?

Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Of all the disappointments this so far year -- and there have been many -- to me, Kevin Gausman is by far the biggest.    There doesn't seem to be anything physically wrong with him, and he should be building on his very solid 2016, and suddenly, he can't get anybody out.     And today -- talk about coming up small on a day when the team really needed him!

So what the hell has happened to this guy?

Mental? I don't know Frobby. It is disappointing for sure. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, andrewochs615 said:

Well we did hire the pitching coach of the worst team in baseball the past few years. I don't know how much that has to do with it but I bet it has to do alittle with all the pitching problems

Can you really believe a coach could do this kinda screwup? But Kevin G is a professional. He has been through the fires. He knows what to do to be successful. IMO 

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gausman has ZERO command and no 3rd pitch.  He's never ahead in the count so his change up/splitter is not a factor.  

They showed him a couple of starts ago trying grips with Bundy in the dugout.  That's good that he is asking the other pitchers, but shouldn't Mcdowell be helping more?  Scotty Mcgregor was the one that fixed Miley.  

I think this is where Buck's stubbornness is getting us.  Wallace retired and wanted less hours.  That happens he's old.  Why did we play games with Dom Chiti?  We should have made him the pitching coach and let him bring in his own bullpen guy.  They pissed Chiti off by not offering him the job and then told him he had to take Mills.  

Mcdowell is not a very good Pitching Coach.  Atlanta fired him as manager to get him away from their young pitchers.  Mills is Mills.  It's hard to evaluate him.  I do know this,

Wallace & Chiti >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mcdowell & Mills

Chiti didn't get along with Brady. 

McDowell was a pitching coach for 10 years in Atlanta. Did he suddenly get dumb? Has Bundy regressed?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Of all the disappointments this so far year -- and there have been many -- to me, Kevin Gausman is by far the biggest.    There doesn't seem to be anything physically wrong with him, and he should be building on his very solid 2016, and suddenly, he can't get anybody out.     And today -- talk about coming up small on a day when the team really needed him!

So what the hell has happened to this guy?

He got married in the offseason. "Women weaken legs" - Mickey Goldmill

No, you do not trade him.  I agree with Roy, it would be Arrieta II.

1 hour ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Speaking of Arrieta, I watched him pitch the 5th inning of today's Cubs-Rockies game.  It was deja vu all over again.  Apparently he had been cruising, then in the 5th he gave up a lead off double followed by a walk, a HBP, another walk, a generous called strikeout of Cargo, and an RBI single to Mark Reynolds.  At that point Maddon had seen enough and pulled him,.  I think people focus on the magic of pitching coaches because noone has a coherent clue of how to make a good pitcher other than be left handed, throw in the upper 90's, and throw sharp breaking pitches for strikes.  My cynical view is that most pitch related coaching at this level is more or less summarized as "trust your stuff kid".

That said, I have no idea how to fix Gausman :D

Pitching coaches offer a good excuse for posters to make reasonably intelligent sounding responses as to why a pitcher may or may not be great without being able to hold up any facts.

Two words:  Leo Mazzone.  Remember what magic he weaved with the talent he had here?  Dude rocked his ass back and forth so hard he wore out the seatcushion and that's all he was good for.  Was hyped as some guru who could weave magic because of what he did with the guys in ATL.  They were always gonna be good no matter who their coach was.  

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Cause he sucks and we might be able to trade him for someone that doesn't suck.  Or doesn't suck as much.

He will always suck? He has sucked in the past?  

If he sucks like you say then why would anyone want him?

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He will always suck? He has sucked in the past?  

If he sucks like you say then why would anyone want him?

At this point, I'm really not interested in finding out.  Let him be someone else's problem.  

I admit it's a sell low proposition.  If we could get back one decent prospect and a low level guy from someone I'm all ears.  

Amazing how time changes things. Even a very little bit of time. Wasn't long ago at all when Gausman was the first thing other teams' GMs asked for if the O's were discussing a deal for someone. And naturally then, he was off the table in any trade talk (to the best of my knowledge). 

I have no idea of what is going to become of him. My best guess and preferred hope is that he'll put up a stronger second half like last year. But that isn't what we'd hoped for overall. Last year (and this year) were when everyone was expecting him to take the next big step.

We're still waiting. 

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Pitching coaches offer a good excuse for posters to make reasonably intelligent sounding responses as to why a pitcher may or may not be great without being able to hold up any facts.

Two words:  Leo Mazzone.  Remember what magic he weaved with the talent he had here?  Dude rocked his ass back and forth so hard he wore out the seatcushion and that's all he was good for.  Was hyped as some guru who could weave magic because of what he did with the guys in ATL.  They were always gonna be good no matter who their coach was.  

I think the village idiot could have looked good as a pitching coach with Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz.  

Unless Dave Wallace is the Gausman whisperer, I don't think having him on the team would have a significant impact on Gausman's performance in 2017.

Here is an idea.

Promote Mike Griffin to bullpen coach.   Griffin probably knows more about Gausman than any pitching coach in the O's organization.   So bring Kevin up and let him work with Gausman.

Send Alan Mills to AAA as pitching coach.  

Maybe Griffin can turn Kevin season around.

People have mentioned Arrieta but the guy I'm reminded of is Brian Matusz. A pitcher everyone thought was on an upward trajectory until he suddenly and totally imploded. Gausman has more experience and success than Matusz did before his collapse year, so I have some faith that he can avoid the same fate. But the similarity is disconcerting. 

16 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

People have mentioned Arrieta but the guy I'm reminded of is Brian Matusz. A pitcher everyone thought was on an upward trajectory until he suddenly and totally imploded. Gausman has more experience and success than Matusz did before his collapse year, so I have some faith that he can avoid the same fate. But the similarity is disconcerting. 

Were they working on Gausman's TTTP this spring training?

Without a doubt the biggest disappointment this season. At least Manny is hitting for power and playing solid defense. Ubaldo has stunk too but we expected that. Gausman looked like he was poised to take a leap to the next level and instead he has been absolutely terrible.

Never seen anything quite like it.

My only thought is that he is tipping pitches somehow.

Archived