Pitching outlook seems grim long term

FanSince88

Even if Bundy becomes an ace, it's hard to feel good about the state of the starting pitching in 2018 and beyond.  Will Gausman every regain his form?  Tillman likely is gone, and so is Miley and thankfully Ubaldo.  But nobody seems to be showing any promise in the minor leagues.  Who knows how good Hunter Harvey turns out to be?  Hard to have confidence there.  Even if we pick up a free agent SP or even two (yeah right), the starting rotation still looks woefully thin and shallow.  Another major injury to Bundy and we are absolutely screwed for years and years.  We're going to be on razor thin ice with starting pitchers at the very best for at least the next 3 or 4 years.  Another reason to strongly consider selling even if we start seeing a glimmer of hope in the next few weeks.  

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

The Valdosta pick seems to be good value, but the downside is it will take years to develop him when we need quality SP ASAP.  

I just don't believe 2018 matters at this point. Maybe things change between now and the end of the season.

The Machado deal is key.  They need at least two rotation candidates in the deal.  Add that to Gausman hopefully fixing whatever the hell is wrong with him, Harvey recovering, last years draft picks continuing to progress, and things look a little better. 

1 minute ago, esmd said:

The Machado deal is key.  They need at least two rotation candidates in the deal.  Add that to Gausman hopefully fixing whatever the hell is wrong with him, Harvey recovering, last years draft picks continuing to progress, and things look a little better. 

With each loss I am leaning more and more to seeing what Machado can bring for pitching help.

Gausman is what has killed us.  It hurts are future.  Tillman was going to be tough to re-sign and then he got hurt.  I appreciate that Tillman may have left his career on the mound in the playoff game.  

Bundy looks like a #2.  Gausman was a solid mid rotation SP before this year.  That's a lot to build on with our strong pen.  That's been the recipe.  

There is no SP talent in AAA, or AA that can help in the near future.  Sedlock and Akin are taking their lumps in A+.  Harvey is still a month or so away from rehabbing and will likely only be in AA to start next year.  

Next year doesn't look so hot.  Britton is even a ? now.  

Best case scenario for next year's pitching staff

SP:

Bundy- solidifies himself as a #2

Gausman- bounces back and pitches closer to his career norms.  

Miley- stays as a mid rotation type

4- ? Stop gap guy to just get us to the BP

5? Stop gap guy like above but Harvey is ready mid 2018 seasn.  

The bullpen

CL: Britton- bounces back to 2016 form. 

Brach- Better in a set up role

Givens- same

O'day- his healthy

Asher- Fills the 2IP+ trendy niche in MLB

Scott- is a dominant force

Wright- Puts it all together

I think the bullpen is realistic.  A lot is hinging on Gausman figure out things.  Then we're going to need to SP's.  

Archived