Washington, not Alvarez possibly coming

Legend_Of_Joey

11 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Right now he benefits most from playing full-time in Bowie. Against all pitchers.

Besides, where's he going to play? With a RHP on the mound Kim and Smith will likely remain in the OF, assuming Smith's "physical issue" tonight was minor.

He's also currently NOT on the 40-man roster, and it'd be silly to add a guy of his caliber to the 40-man if you intend to demote him when the team gets healthy.

That's why Washington is here. He will, in all likelihood, be DFA'd upon Davis' return.

There's so much trash on the 40 man that is not an issue. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

That's why Washington is here. He will, in all likelihood, be DFA'd upon Davis' return.

Possibly, or one of the pitchers.

Reason being, if he does good, they might keep him on incase they need him quickly if Davis's injury flares up. Oblique strains aren't fun and can be tricky.

7 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Bridwell was not a guy to watch. He was a guy that had had opportunities and didn't hack it. He makes one mediocre start for the Angels and people here lost their minds. He's currently back in Salt Lake doing his usual pedestrian thing.

Agree with the point, but in fact he isn't in AAA.  Called back up, pitched 3.2 relief innings last night when Shoemaker only went 3 in his start.  Gave up 7 hits but just one unearned run.

Just one game, but Washington looked terrible last night. 0 for 4, with 3Ks and a fairly well hit line drive to CF. He has a big swing that appears to leave plenty of holes (or maybe just one or two large ones). The White Sox went right after him with pitches in or near the strike zone. The 3 Ks were on nine pitches, and he wasn't close to any of them. One of the K's was with first and second with no outs in the fourth, when the O's were trying to come back after falling behind 5-1. Washington did not seem to let the situation affect his approach.

9 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Cedric Mullins has exactly 88 at bats above Low-A. And is coming off of an injury that had him sitting for a month. He needs plenty of seasoning yet.

I saw an 0 for 4 the other day. Anything good since? 

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Agree with the point, but in fact he isn't in AAA.  Called back up, pitched 3.2 relief innings last night when Shoemaker only went 3 in his start.  Gave up 7 hits but just one unearned run.

We all know Bridwell has an arm. I was sad to see him go. He was going after this season anyway.

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There's so much trash on the 40 man that is not an issue. 

So you want to start Mullins' clock, lose a guy off the 40-man and take at bats away from the kid just for a couple of weeks? It would be a foolish move. Very reminiscent of the O's during the "dark period" years, where they'd call up guys as soon as they did anything in the minors, and just throw them to the MLB wolves.

4 minutes ago, weams said:

I saw an 0 for 4 the other day. Anything good since? 

A 2/4 last night, with one SB and one CS. Now slashing .326/.366/.598. Up to 22 whole games above Low-A, haha.

I'm excited about his start, too, but need to see it played out over a whole season first.

6 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Just one game, but Washington looked terrible last night. 0 for 4, with 3Ks and a fairly well hit line drive to CF. He has a big swing that appears to leave plenty of holes (or maybe just one or two large ones). The White Sox went right after him with pitches in or near the strike zone. The 3 Ks were on nine pitches, and he wasn't close to any of them. One of the K's was with first and second with no outs in the fourth, when the O's were trying to come back after falling behind 5-1. Washington did not seem to let the situation affect his approach.

Washington is not a hitter, he's a swinger. Sometimes he gets lucky and makes good contact. A lot of the time, he doesn't. He isn't a prospect. He's a body.

6 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

As I already said, I think this is just about rewarding him with a ML call-up.  I don't think he will stay up long or play a lot.

13 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

A 2/4 last night, with one SB and one CS. Now slashing .326/.366/.598. Up to 22 whole games above Low-A, haha.

I'm excited about his start, too, but need to see it played out over a whole season first.

Good then!

1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

Washington is not a hitter, he's a swinger. Sometimes he gets lucky and makes good contact. A lot of the time, he doesn't. He isn't a prospect. He's a body.

Washington is not good. The ball was in the mit before he swung last night. He might be able to run into a few in AAA off Tyler Wilson types, but he has no place up here. But it's just a temp call up so who cares?  I'd just rather give those 20 ABs to someone else.  

I agree that it might be rushing Mullins a little bit but he's a very confident guy and I don't think he'd be rattled. My point was that at least he would something different to the lineup. Speed and defense. Washington is just another high strike out DH.  

You're worried about starting Mullins clock?  Geez, we're already passed all the big dates for that.  Plus with Smith and Kim being FA's, he going to get a long look in ST next year regardless.  Plus we might be rebuilding in 6 weeks.  

On to Bridwell, when you have an organization so thin with SP, why would you give up a SP in AAA that throws 93-94 with a plus change up?  This is how terrible we are at evaluating our own talent.  DD thought Bridwell couldn't crack the great Norfolk rotation.  Same evaluation problem with Miranda, just 9 months later. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Washington is not good. The ball was in the mit before he swung last night. He might be able to run into a few in AAA off Tyler Wilson types, but he has no place up here. But it's just a temp call up so who cares?  I'd just rather give those 20 ABs to someone else.  

I agree that it might be rushing Mullins a little bit but he's a very confident guy and I don't think he'd be rattled. My point was that at least he would something different to the lineup. Speed and defense. Washington is just another high strike out DH.  

You're worried about starting Mullins clock?  Geez, we're already passed all the big dates for that.  Plus with Smith and Kim being FA's, he going to get a long look in ST next year regardless.  Plus we might be rebuilding in 6 weeks.  

On to Bridwell, when you have an organization so thin with SP, why would you give up a SP in AAA that throws 93-94 with a plus change up?  This is how terrible we are at evaluating our own talent.  DD thought Bridwell couldn't crack the great Norfolk rotation.  Same evaluation problem with Miranda, just 9 months later. 

If you put him on the 40 now it is one less rule V guy they can pick up during the winter meetings.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Let me be clear, here: I think Cedric Mullins has more to prove before we bump him from AA to the Major Leagues. I'm glad he's hitting well. But he's played 22 games now above Delmarva. We don't even know if this is real, yet, and I certainly don't see him showing up and hitting better than the guys we're currently starting in the outfield. So he wouldn't be getting regular at bats, which is detrimental for a guy who might be coming into his own.

If Mullins keeps hitting all year and we wind up launching a fire sale in late July, sure, bring him up. Or if we don't go fire sale then, sure, absolutely give him a look in ST next year. But there's absolutely no viable reason to bring him to Baltimore this very moment.

Washington is here because he's easy to lose. Much like Francisco Pena, we'll probably be able to drop him from the 40-man but retain his rights and plop him right back in Norfolk in two weeks. No harm, no foul.

Archived