wieters = flacco

ace20251

i have been a lurker on this board for years,i am 40,live in dundalk and watch every orioles game.this is my first post because i am frustrated to the max.to me letting matt wieters leave was a huge mistake.

wieters= flacco,not rah rah guys but guys you need to win and stay calm in tough spots in games.if flacco left the ravens they might win 5 games,and they wouldnt have had the winning % they have had since 08.i feel the same about wieters,the guy wins,and wins and wins.the o's bring in castillo and the diamondbacks are just fine without him.he isnt getting anything out of these pitchers.

not resigning wieters has took the balance/chemistry away from this team and its not coming back.catchers are important,they are the qb of the team.

does anyone know who made the decision not to resign matt?

i know people complain he doesnt frame pitches,i get it,but the one thing he does do is win.

The Castillo/Wieters trade off isn't much of a net loss if any.

He's fitting in very well with the Nationals but if we had resigned him we likely wouldn't have any more wins than we do and we'd be on the hook for more money. 

it just my opinion,and i have thought it all season.had to get it out because my frustration with the pitching and team in general.i hope they prove me wrong,it would be fantastic.

i do know that wieters will be in the playoffs again this season.maybe even a world series.

i guess you either like wieters or you dont,reminds me of flacco.

4 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I prefer Castillo to Wieters honestly. 

The great pitch framing has really helped the staff put it together this year.  All the defensive WAR statistics are a joke.  But I get it is hard to admit you are so terribly wrong.

6 hours ago, ace20251 said:

i have been a lurker on this board for years,i am 40,live in dundalk and watch every orioles game.this is my first post because i am frustrated to the max.to me letting matt wieters leave was a huge mistake.

wieters= flacco,not rah rah guys but guys you need to win and stay calm in tough spots in games.if flacco left the ravens they might win 5 games,and they wouldnt have had the winning % they have had since 08.i feel the same about wieters,the guy wins,and wins and wins.the o's bring in castillo and the diamondbacks are just fine without him.he isnt getting anything out of these pitchers.

not resigning wieters has took the balance/chemistry away from this team and its not coming back.catchers are important,they are the qb of the team.

i know people complain he doesnt frame pitches,i get it,but the one thing he does do is win.

This is factually inaccurate on legitimately every level.

1 minute ago, cimota said:

The great pitch framing has really helped the staff put it together this year.  All the defensive WAR statistics are a joke.  But I get it is hard to admit you are so terribly wrong.

Castillo was never considered a pitch-framer, either. He was just willing to sign a contact that was ideal for what the team seems to be intending to do - keep the spot warm for Chance Sisco.

Castillo, statistically, was actually incredibly similar to Wieters coming into the season. And he's been better this year when he's been on the field. 

Had Wieters been willing to come to the table earlier in the postseason and sign a similar deal to Castillo, he'd be behind the plate. Of that, I have few doubts. But he was trying to hold out for the best possible contract and the O's didn't want to go into the spring without a catcher.

Wieters was one of my favorite players. Still the pitch calling thing is overrated. You go to a good staff and you are a good pitch calling catcher. The Orioles will win a game 3-2 or something again this year.Trust me it is going to happen. You will hear  that Castillo or Joseph called a good game  The 20  games of over five runs will not count.Never hear the catcher called the worst game when the pitcher gives up nine in three innings. That Castillo called a terrible game for Ubaldo.Never going to happen.  So for a few days they are pitch calling geniuses and the other days forgot how to call a game. 

1 hour ago, cimota said:

You can't be wrong about a preference?

7 hours ago, ace20251 said:

Welcome to the board! Just a quick note, please use capital letters -- posts in all lower case are difficult to read.

Anyway, I don't think this analogy works. In baseball, there's no single player who's as important to the team as a quarterback is to a football team. Baseball is much more of a team game. Even an incredible, once-in-a-lifetime player like Mike Trout can't singlehandedly lead his team to the playoffs. And Wieters certainly isn't in Trout's stratosphere.

I don't see much evidence that Wieters was the reason the Orioles were winning. As others have pointed out, the Orioles' best season came when he was out with an injury most of the year. And you say "one thing he does do is win"...what about his first three seasons, when the Orioles didn't win?

Archived