You be the GM!

Lucky_13

On 6/24/2017 at 9:53 PM, FlipTheBird said:

Quantity isn't worth it. Even if you only get 1-2 guys for Britton, you're better off getting 1-2 really good guys.

Oh I agree.  And the recent returns for elite closers certainly says you should shoot for the stars.  That said, I would much rather two or three B prospects than a single A prospect for him.  Where I differentiate that from Manny, is that Manny should be netting you a top 10-15 prospect in baseball.  I dont think even if you take one prospect back you are getting that for Britton.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Oh I agree.  And the recent returns for elite closers certainly says you should shoot for the stars.  That said, I would much rather two or three B prospects than a single A prospect for him.  Where I differentiate that from Manny, is that Manny should be netting you a top 10-15 prospect in baseball.  I dont think even if you take one prospect back you are getting that for Britton.

Probably not, but I think you go for the A-prospect every time. Quality over quantity, always.

As for Manny - done right, it should be netting you TWO Top 10-15 prospects... He's that valuable.

One of Dan's best tricks since coming here (imo) was getting us Miguel Gonzalez and Wei Yin Chen for cheap in 2012.

We need to do something like that again to get some decent SP at affordable pricing.........but I admittedly don't know much about how international talent gets added (without going through the ultra expensive posting system).

Miguel Gonzalez with the O's

2012-2015 - 4 seasons - 580 innings - 7.8 WAR for a total of like $5M

Wei-Yin Chen

2012-2015 - 4 seasons - 706.2 innings - 10 WAR for a total of ~$15.5M

How can we do this again?

33 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Probably not, but I think you go for the A-prospect every time. Quality over quantity, always.

As for Manny - done right, it should be netting you TWO Top 10-15 prospects... He's that valuable.

Which teams have two top 10-15 prospects?  

12 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Japan.  Korea.  Cuba.   AAAA.    ML Free Agents on one year deals.

BTW, I'm not saying the chances are good of finding 3 quality ML starters.   I'm just saying that's where you look.

Certainly can't do much worse than the incumbents.   

Britton to the Nats is a no-brainer. I'd target Victor Robles and Joe Ross. Ross in particular I think can be had for cheap and I like his upside. Maybe Britton / O'Day lands both? The Nats bullpen is a mess. 

I don't see the O's ever trading with the Yanks or Red Sox so that rules them out. The Cubs might be a fit for a Manny trade since they have the money to resign him. Would Russell / Schwarber / and lower level pitching prospect be enough? Houston might be another team to target. They're in win now mode and might not want for Alex Bregman to develop. If they wanted to they could put together a pretty attractive package. Maybe Bregman / Tucker or Fisher / Alcala or Valdez

I'd also call the surprise 1st place Brewers and try to talk them into giving up one of their many prospects for Brach. 

4 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Not many teams are going to have that.  I would think a top 3 organizational prospect who is also top 15, and two top 15 organizational prospects one, or both of which are in the top 100 should suffice.  They need something though.  Even if it is not this trade deadline the platform for an off-season trade will be built this year.

My plan would be to make it so the O's can afford to re-sign Manny.  To do that, I think they need to build up the farm system - so that they have a bunch of low cost young players playing the other positions.  I think that means trading Brach and Britton.  And as several of us have mentioned, Washington is a perfect trade partner for at least one of them.  The strategy in the trade(s) should be to go for quality more than quantity.  I think Tanner Scott and Lucas Long should be developed to become later inning relievers and eventually replace Brach and Britton.  And Wright, Meisenger, and Castro should also be given shots in the Baltimore pen.     

I don't know what is available for particular players. I try to trade any player that has any real value. That could mean Britton if he is healthy in four weeks and doing well. It definitely means Brach. Also Givens and Miley if anyone wants them. And then Machado, but only for a huge package of top prospects. If the deal's not there I wait until the offseason for that one. 

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Alright, who we buying?  There's 20 selling threads and not a single buy thread.  4.5 GB in the Division.  1.5 GB of the wildcard.  

Zach Cosart and a SP?

What assets would you give up?

I wouldn't be all that upset if Sisco is traded if they don't believe he'll stick a catcher.  I'd just want someone for more than 2017.  Strailey maybe?

Archived